Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

Penske has 35,400 deposits

21 posts in this topic

In a news release yesterday Penske said he has 35,400 deposits, but will only be bringing in 25,000 smarts.

Oh,oh!!!!! There are going to be some dissapointed people in 2008...

Story can be found here!

You have to wonder how many of the people with deposits are not going to go through with it.I hope about 5,000.... I'd like to get it this year.

I think Mercedes-Benz Canada had about 600-800 deposits or "expressions of firm interest" in smart when they first officially announced they would be sold here, but the order list grew and kept growing once they went on sale. The backlog of orders at some dealers did not clear for 16 months. Bad news for those waiting at the bottom of the list, good news for smart, and the microcar concept....I hope you get yours next year too.

Sounds like the Canadian launch x 10!Except M-B Canada didn't really have an official "deposit" program like Penske has run in the U.S.It'll be interesting to see how many of those deposits turn into actual sales, and how quickly the backlog of orders ramp up once they hit the streets. Lots of people aren't all that savvy, and wouldn't know the car existed (or was coming to the States) until they actually saw one on the road and could ask, "Where can i get one of those?"

They have my money and no news about PR deliveries. I'm not too pleased about this.

My daughter told me on Wednesday that she now wants a smart but she has to review the idea with her BF. I told her to get her reservation in now because there's a high demand for the cars and so few will be made this year. We'll see what happens.

I have heard nothing aobut a dealer network, either. I'm inclined to think that my dealer is going to be about 30 minutes from where I live (Euromotorcars Germantown, in Germantown MD) - where they had the invite only event (which I am kicking myself for not going to).It's a shame that Euromotorcars isn't planning on using their other location - which is close to where I live and work. They are an MB, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maybach dealer there, though; so I am not sure how the smart would fit in. :-X

They are an MB, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maybach dealer there, though; so I am not sure how the smart would fit in. :-X

All are European brands owned by a German Parent Company built using Metric measurements that in the US will have a level of cachét unattainable with a domestic brands? :biglaugh:

The company said target customers for the Smart car include: first-time car buyers, urban sophisticates, baby boomers looking for a second car, and "empty-nest" parents.

first-time car buyers?? Hmm.

I certainly like the 20 - 25K number! (I order in early July around the 20 -21K reservation number). Looks like I might get one by next fall!

Except M-B Canada didn't really have an official "deposit" program like Penske has run in the U.S.

Sure MB Canada did. I put in an order the day after smart was announced at the Toronto Auto Show. The policy was $500 down on a coupe and $1,000 down on a cabrio. If you didn't like the details once they came out you could get a refund.

Greetings:When we ordered our cabrio in September '04, Mid-town M-B (the one beside M-B HQ) wasn't tied to a "policy". We put $500 down, it could have been any amount that indicated that we were serious. The way they continued with the introduction seemed to fit into a rather haphazard, spontaneous series of events. We ordered from photo-copied sheets!We bought exactly what we fell in love with the first night,Ian

The way the article read to me was it seemed to imply that penske expects to sell 25k cars, not that that is all it can produce. The article then goes on to say that their annual capability is 130k-140k. That's the way I'm interpreting it anyway. I'd be happy if I got the car in late Summer or early Fall. I just want it this year.

Welcome to the forum!The problem with the 140,000 capacity of the plant is that Europe alone will take over 100,000 of these cars annually, Canada another 3000....well that doesn't leave tons of room for ramping up the US production allocation. Unless they go to a third shift, when plant capacity might be nearer 200,000.

OK...I'm starting to get anxious with all this talk. For several months, time has been going by really fast and I kept myself busy doing and thinking about other things. However, NOW I WANT MY CAR. Maybe because it's Xmas time and I know I have been a good girl.

Here goes my Xmas Prayer:

Hi Santa, Please, oh please, give me an after Xmas gift called smart. It's ok if the delivery is in January as long as it comes soon. To prove my good behavior, I have been a better CsC member, considerate, cordial, happy, funny, patient and kind. If you please Sir, please GIVE ME THAT DAMN CAR RIGHT NOW!! Oh yeah, if Fire Engine or Cherry Red with Black Tridion is available instead of the tomatoey orange (and it won't push my delivery beyond January 31), feel free to change the color back to Red/Black instead of Blue/Black. No matter what I get, as long as it has the comfort package, I will continue to believe in only you! Your good buddy in the Big NYC....Regina

:smitten:

I did that in Dec 2004 - asked Santa for my smart that was supposed to arrive in Dec. During the first week of Jan 05 one of the guys who works for me told me he saw my car in the showroom at Mercedes. Turned out it had been there for several weeks. The green on green cabrio was quite a novelty then and was drawing crowds. They had it roped off from the general public and no one was allowed to sit in it but it was 2 weeks when I didn't have it.They sheepishly admitted they had my car for some time but it was so popular they had held off calling me. To apologize they threw in some goodies.

Rich,That's a cute story but it wouldn't hold water in New Jersey (home of the Baddabings!) Because Santa is involved, I must refrain from having Tony, Ralphie and Big P$%^$y (may they rest in peace), and Silvo take a walk into Ray Catena's showroom and demand the whereabouts of me smartie.I wish I could make them a deal they couldn't refuse!! :smirk: Regina

DETROIT, Oct 25 (Reuters) - Penske Automotive Group expects to sell up to 25,000 two-seat Smart cars in the United States next year, as the dealership chain remains on track to launch the car in the first quarter of 2008.

Penske Automotive Chairman and Chief Executive Roger Penske said on a Thursday conference call the retailer had 35,400 reservations for the Smart car, produced by the Mercedes division of German automaker Daimler AG

This is like booking an Airline ticket.

:banghead:

Hope I am one of the 25,000

:3tens: