Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Tweek

What happens if you don't reserve or order one now?

6 posts in this topic

Will I be waiting till 2050 to get a Smart if I don't put the reserve money down on one now and order it?

I think there's some probability that there's going to be a small number of vehicles that end up being sold/traded in when some owners realize the Smart is not such a perfect fit for them. Of course, they'll carry a premium price, even though they probably won't even be broken in very much. (Similar to the way the Mini was seen in used car sections for thousands more than they should have cost. Still, I wouldn't doubt some hopeful folks may be waiting until the next model year or the one after that before demand dissipates to the point that more folks can get their hands on a new one. It might be like the lottery for a while, i.e. "Gotta be in it to win it!"

Will I be waiting till 2050 to get a Smart if I don't put the reserve money down on one now and order it?

Pretty much. Or at least late '09.-Iain

PAG is still saying those who reserve now will get a car in 08. I'm sure that's based on an expected number of people who decide to not purchase a car when their number comes up. If they're right, you'll get one late 08, but if they're wrong, I'd guess early to first-half of 09. But the reality is that everyone, except for those who registered as soon as they opened the reservation process, is going to be playing the wait-and-wonder game. Once we know how many cars are coming in and how often, we may be able to estimate how soon you'll get one, but that won't be until the initial crush has passed (and if you register today, that'll include you).

I hope to hell that is right. I reserved nearly 2 months ago because of stupidly himhawwing around trying to decide on an '05 Mercedes C240 or an '06 C280 to replace my VUE.Then I decided to keep the VUE and buy a smart.I'm going to be severely disappointed if I do not get it in '08. I'm using this as a learning tool.... I am very impatient, so this is going to be a good exercise for me.