Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom P.

All-Season tires

18 posts in this topic

I see on the updated Cdn. smart web-site that the specs show all-season tires listed. Is the 451 actually coming equipped with a different tire than the 450 (which were "summer" Conti's)?

I wouldn't be surprised actually, as this is the "norm" for a lot of North American vehicles.

When the conti's on my smart wore out, I replaced them with the Vredestein Quatrac 2. This is a true 4 season tire. I have run them since July 31, 2006 and liked them so much last winter I didn't bother to install my Conti winter tires and rims.

Some of the details are at Link

When the conti's on my smart wore out, I replaced them with the Vredestein Quatrac 2. This is a true 4 season tire. I have run them since July 31, 2006 and liked them so much last winter I didn't bother to install my Conti winter tires and rims.Some of the details are at Link

Hi Rich,I saw your pics and description of the Vredestein's in another thread. They look impressive but are very hard to source. I know you just went to the local Sunoco gas station and got them but that is not an option in N. Ontario. Most tire dealers up here have never heard of Vredestein's let alone stock them or have a source for them. The parts dept. at the local MB dealership where I am buying my new 451 is trying to source them for me. Does your Sunoco station stock these on a regular basis? If so, how much would it be to ship a set to Thunder Bay?BTW... how much did you pay for the Vredestein's?

I have never heard of a gas station having tires for sale?-Iain

Wow either Iain is showing his age or I'm showing mine...... most full service gas stations also did service and had mechanics and would sell tires and wipers among other things .....these days most of them are a dying breed in favour of the gasoline only station with the attached convenience store and car wash.......

Pumps, energy drinks, and toilet - that's all I see! :)-Iain

Only the bravest or most desperate would dare enter a gas station bathroom. Now they are sparkling clean. That's one change I don't mind. I do however miss having a corner do it all station. :(

They are continental ContiproContacts which are the same as the tires that come on the b class. Looks like all season to me.

Thanks for the info. Here's the manufacturer's description of these stock tires...

The ContiProContact is Continental's Grand Touring All-Season tire used as Original Equipment on European sport sedans. The ContiProContact was developed to blend looks and handling with low noise and good ride comfort, and is tuned to match the needs of sporty sedans by providing year-round traction, even in light snow.

On the outside, the ContiProContact features a symmetric, notched-rib tread design to blend low noise with foul weather traction. Continuous tread contact with the road enhances steering response and reduces noise while wide circumferential grooves increase wet traction and hydroplaning resistance. On the inside, twin steel belts are reinforced by spiral-wrapped nylon cord to stabilize the tread area promoting handling and high-speed capability.

The ContiProContact tire's sidewall styling features subtle black letters reversed out of a stylized serrated band.

post-629-1194370560.jpg

According to that locator, the nearest Vredestein dealer to our West Coast is:P.O. Box 27NL-7500 AA , EnschedeNetherlandsTelephone: +31-53-4888 400Fax: +31-53-4888 800E-mail address: export@vredestein.com :biglaugh:

I found my Vredestein's by contacting the Cdn distributor www.remingtontire.com in Alberta is listed on the Vredestein site.http://www.vredestein.com/Dealerlocator_Re...serSessionID=73

Ya, I contacted Remington about a month ago and the closest dealer to me was Sudbury. I phoned them and they said the Vredestein's are not available in Canada yet.

Hey Rich, I think President tire was the distributor when you ordered yours. Remington bought out most of the business IIRC. I tried to get Veds in June, the shop ( a president tire affiliate) that I went thru had no success in Canada, and could only get them through the states in cargo container size lots. So, when Fasteddy had his tire deal for Veds I grabbed them then. Only had them on a month, but plan on using them for winter tires only. I've got a set of crappy Bridgestone rubber to burn of in summer :)

I ordered mine through President Tires back then. I hope they get their act together as I will be replacing my rears later next year

How many km on the rears by then?My 195 Contis are less than half worn at 40,000+ km.

I have about 26K on these now BUT my conti rears were gone at about 40K. I live in the country. My average speed is 80-90K and drive lots of dirt roads. The previous Conti rears were on the wear bars. I have 2 sets of tires and figure my summers had about 40K on them.If I get 40K on these I will be happy. The fronts like the conti fronts look like new.