Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Razorback

2008 smart fortwo prices & specifications

12 posts in this topic

The slightly modified information in this post was taken from: xel member of forum CleanMPG.com. CleanMPG.com is an interesting forum that appears dedicated to getting better MPG from your vehicles. An interesting forum with interesting information available. Also there is a CleanMPG Preview of the 2008 smart fortwo which has a very good write-up of their smart fortwo experience. Go check it out.

2008 SMART Fortwo.

Prices

$11,590 - Pure

Option Price ($USD)

$600 A/C w/ Auto temp control

$225 Metallic Paint (Red, Blue, Silver)

$175 Silver colored Tridion cell

$160 Alarm

$350 Panorama roof – Sun shade included

$450 Power Steering

$220 Heated Seats

$350 Radio - AM/FM/CD

$495 Premium radio - AM/FM/6CD/MP3

$13,590 - Passion

Option Price ($USD)

$160 Alarm

$450 Power Steering

$220 Heated Seats

$110 Fog Lamps

$120 Additional instruments – Analog Clock and Tach

$150 Premium radio - AM/FM/6CD/MP3

Option packages:

$350 Premium Sound - Includes Premium Radio w/ 4 speakers and Sub.

$850 Comfort Package - Includes Power Steering, Leather Seats, Heated Seats, Rain and Light Sensor and Auto-off headlights w/ exit delay.

$16,590 - Cabriolet

Option Price ($USD)

$160 Alarm

$450 Power Steering

$220 Heated Seats

$110 Fog Lamps

$120 Additional instruments – Analog Clock and Tach

Option packages:

$850 Comfort Package - Includes Power Steering, Leather Seats, Heated Seats, Rain and Light Sensor and Auto-off headlights w/ exit delay.

Specifications

Engineering:

Engine Type: In-Line 3-Cylinder

Engine Block/Cylinder Head: Aluminum-Alloy

Displacement (l): 1.0

Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net, Rev 8/04): 70 HP @ 5,800 rpm

Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm): 68 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm

Redline (rpm): TBD

Bore and Stroke (in): 2.83 x 3.22

Compression Ratio: 10.0:1

Valvetrain: 4-valve per cyl. - SOHC

Electronic Multi-Point Fuel Injection

Rear-wheel Drive

CARB Emissions Rating: ULEV-2

Federal Emissions: Tier II/Bin5

Direct Ignition System with Immobilizer

Transmission:

Gear Ratios

5-Speed Automated Manual Transmission

1st: 3.308 2nd: 1.913 3rd: 1.258 4th: 0.943 5th: 0.707 Final Drive: 4.529

Reverse: 3.231

Body/Suspension/Chassis:

Unit-Body Construction

MacPherson Strut Front Suspension

DeDion axle Rear Suspension

Stabilizer Bar (mm., front): TBD mm/none

Rack-and-Pinion Steering

Turning Diameter, Curb-to-Curb (ft.): 28.7

Power-Assisted Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc Brakes (in.): 11/8

Wheels: All-Season Tires: 155/60 R15 Front/175/55 R15 Rear

Interior Measurements:

Headroom (in.): 39.7

Legroom (in.): 41.2

Shoulder Room (in.): 48

Hiproom (in.): 45.4

Cargo Volume (cu. ft.): 12.0

Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 45.4

Seating Capacity: 2

Exterior Measurements:

Wheelbase (in.): 73.5

Length (in.): 106.1

Height (in.): 60.71

Width (in.): 61.38

Track (in., front/rear): 50.51/54.53

Coefficient of Drag: 0.34

Curb Weight (lbs.): 1,808

08 EPA Mileage Estimates/Capacities:

5-Speed Automatic Manual (City/Highway): 34/40

Crankcase (qt.): 3.5 incl. oil filter

Coolant System (qt.): 4.5.

Fuel (gal.): 10 gal. – 8.7 gal. w/ 1.3 gal. in reserve

Required Fuel: Premium Unleaded recommended

Thanks for all the work on this post. :thanx: Very good information and I really appreciate your effort. :doublethumb: I am truly anxious to get my Smart Passion. Hopefully in late March 08.

Thanks for the info, Razorback.I wonder where xcel got that 08 EPA Mileage Estimate. My bet is that it is, at best, a guess since the EPA has not posted their numbers yet, to my knowledge. I doubt they've even tested it yet.

34/40 is brutal. How does that compare to a Yaris or Fit? The Transport Canada overall rating is 44 US MPG.

From Sunday's Washington Post, ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7110102145.html ) they are saying 33 mpg City & 40 mpg Highway.

"Just as no one buys the Lamborghini Reventon for fuel efficiency, not many people will be wowed by the mileage numbers of the little Fortwo, which are 33 miles per gallon in the city and 40 mpg on the highway under the Environmental Protection Agency's revised (for 2008), tougher mileage testing rules."

I'm getting 47.66 mpg overall in my CDI diesel, so real world mpg for this modern-designed gas engine should be at least 40 mpg combined.

Joe in Atlanta

34/40 is brutal. How does that compare to a Yaris or Fit? The Transport Canada overall rating is 44 US MPG.

Remember that those numbers are under the new EPA Real World testing. The Fit's 2008 numbers are a 27/34 with a 30 average, and the Yaris is 29/35 with a 31 average. The fortwo, in 2007 was 40/45, so a 5-7 MPG drop under the new structure.As a good comparison, compare the Prius's numbers against the EPA numbers, and real world experience. EPA says 60 (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/10/epa_prius.html), real world says 43. Even hypermilers only SKU that to 48 (http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage...a-priushsd.html) The Prius's 2008 EPA numbers drop it to 46

Spritmonitor.de has 334 Prius's registered. There consumption is 5.21 or 43 mpg(us).The 712 smart 450 diesels average 4.30 or 54 mpg(us)Only 10 smart 451's registered-average 6.54 or 36 mpg(us)

But the thing is the EPA hasn't tested it yet. It's not on fueleconomy.gov. Where are they getting those numbers? Somebody at the washington post isn't doing their fact checking. If someone can point me to a valid government site that posts the EPA numbers of the fortwo I will believe it. Until then, I believe, the people writing these articles are just pulling numbers out of thin air.As I said earlier, I don't believe the EPA has even tested it yet.

According to the review xel posted more info on the mpg was noted. Here is an excerpt of that section:"Although I did not drive the SMART Fortwo the entire distance over the routes we were directed to travel, I was behind the wheel for ~ 2/3 of the total distance traveled including two long highway bouts between San Francisco and San Jose (one to the other and back). On day 1 in a completely non-setup SMART over a route including ~ 20% city and 80% highway, she retuned 52.7 mpg over 37 miles per the SG-II. My non-hypermile trained journalist partner, Kelly Thomas from the Pioneer Press pulled a 35.9 mpg run over 9.6 miles of 35% highway and 65% city. On day 2, the Smart allowed a 54.6 mpg run with a 4 mile – 40 minute stop and crawl out of San Jose and an all-highway and unmolested run back into downtown San Francisco. I was learning Kelly took over for 22.5 miles pulling a 35.6 mpg segment in and amongst the outskirts and into the inner portions of San Francisco. I took the opportunity to drive a nightmarish segment taking the SMART through everything downtown San Francisco had to offer including our final destination, Fisherman’s Wharf. That short segment yielded 43.8 mpg in strictly stop light to stop light, hill climb to descent to climb and repeat “Streets of San Francisco” nightmare while I threw the book at it. The SMART offered up a respectable 45.5 mpg average over ~ 120 miles with 1/3 of the driving performed by Kelly and 2/3 by me. This included ~ 1/3 harsh inner city and 2/3 somewhat open Interstate. Between 48 and 58 mph, she would allow 50 – 70 MPG and this is indeed a nice little spot to hold thus making me believe 60 MPG should be achievable by a trained hypermiler with an unmolested suburb/highway commute."I believe that the prices and specifications regarding the MPG is quite conservative.

I was getting 39 US MPG over 120 miles in my new Mercedes B 200 (136 HP gasser) last Sunday, on I-5 in WA State, driving at 72 MPH. So yes, I think the actual numbers for the 451 will be better than the EPA says.Thanks, aphoenix, for the current Fit and Yarbles ;) ratings, which are horrific.

A new thread in the 451 forum has been opened up to discuss fuel economy - with the soon-to-be official EPA numbers.