Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
propes

Storage Container

9 posts in this topic

I work out of my car and have a whole pile of small tools and parts I keep in the trunk of my current car (I'm on the waiting list for a 451 in the states). I'd like to get a small container or tub where I could put all that stuff, and simply have one thing to take out, should I use the car for something other than work. Does anyone have the length and width of the storage area so I could find something that'll fit without sliding a lot?

Whatever you get, you can glue some strips of velcro (hook side) to the bottom, and it won't slide at all.I thought the spec page on smartusa.com has the demonsions.MG

This sounds like a job for....

Mr. Do-It-Yourself-Guy!

Seriously! Since you carry tools you must be handy. Design one yourself and make it with all the correct dimensions, trays, boxes, levels and dividers you need. It'll work great for you and you'll have a real custom touch for your smart that will be one-of-one! If you make the basic frame from wood and use parts from tackle boxes and tool boxes it will be a real winner and easy to make to boot! Or maybe you could start from a basic plastic office file box (the kind with the lid) and make some thin wood dividers for it.

This could be a really fun project! Good Luck!

This sounds like a job for....

Mr. Do-It-Yourself-Guy!

Seriously! Since you carry tools you must be handy. Make one yourself in the correct dimensions with all the trays, boxes levels and dividers you need. It'll work great for you and you'll have a real custom touch for your smart that will be one-of-one!

Or you could start with a plastic office file box (the kind with the lid) and make dividers for it. The possibilities are endless! The smart has an accessory that will hold it in place like a boa costrictor. Or use a cargo net. While Velcro will work just great, if you remove the box from you car often it will eventually strip the fibers from your carpet where you set it in place.

Good Luck!

Or buy 2 collapsible crates from MB. A perfect fit in the 450, so should fit a 451 with an inch or two to spare.

Fred J,I don't know if this will help, but I bought this for myself in the past, it is a rotomolded case from PLATT, they have many sizes

post-3704-1194303945.jpg

Probably not a do-it myself thing. Ideally, I'm looking for something in a light plastic, so I can easily remove it should I need the extra trunk space. Most of my tools will be in smaller containers (which may be a do-it-yourself to keep them in-place), but a good amount of space will have to be left open for boxed parts that come in various sizes. Besides, my tools are all computer-focused. My wife is the carpenter - she gets all the power tools. ;)

Besides, my tools are all computer-focused. My wife is the carpenter - she gets all the power tools. ;)

And a great silence descends across the continent as hundreds consider how to phrase the irresistible joke.