Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Rail Baron

@*&! I Missed the Deadline

10 posts in this topic

I truly cannot believe this! I registered and sent in my deposit on March 30, 2007 and attended the Knoxville TN road show event last month. I just returned from a 9 day vacation and guess what happened? Yep, I got my invite and it was pulled just before I got back.I received the invite email on Oct. 26 and when I tried to complete the reservation at mysmartfortwo.com today, I was told that my password had expired. I called Smart in a total panic and they said that I would be "re-invited" in the future. They said when I asked directly that I was not in the back of the line but they couldn't say exactly when I would be "re-invited". I asked and got the following information (outdated/wrong?)What is the EPA fuel mileage estimate?Answer: They have not yet tested the 08 Smart (this can't be true)The girl said that my registration had been closed on November 2nd. She also said that everyone who got the invite had about ten days to respond. That looks like 7 days to me. When I asked why it was open for such a short period, she said that ten days should have been long enough.I gotta tell you, this is pretty aggravating for someone who has waited so long to finalize the reservation. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so, how long did it take to get "re-invited"? I did have a message on my answering machine that they did try to call me while I was gone on vacation, but I had no way to know THE INVITE was imminent.Also, I have heard a rumor that this whole reconfirmation business is being handled by a contractor. Can anyone confirm this? I'm quite concerned that my delivery has been seriously delayed and I am extremely frustrated. I would be inclined to complain in writing if I knew who to complain to.

The EPA numbers are not official yet, and the messaging given to the call center staff has not changed as a result. As for your configuration window, there will be another opportunity in the next couple of weeks. smart has defined the windows, and the process for the configurations. While it is frustrating, I know, there is an important operational reason for why they are doing it this way. There should not a serious delay in the delivery of your car, so long as you configure you car when you are next invited. Delivery time frames will be skewed by production windows at the factory anyway, so configuring within a window of a couple of weeks shouldn't impact your overall delivery timeframe.

I hope you're right that it won't make much difference. I'd like to read more about how they do this reconfirmation process anyway. I can understand why they wouldn't want hundreds of people ignoring their requests to update their reservations, but really, what difference would it make if they simply didn't cancel the web site password until at least 2 or 3 weeks had passed? This would accomodate anyone who was interested and was away from home due to vacation or emergency.Unfortunately, someone named Kyle who left me a message on my answering machine while I was away said that if I did not confirm the order soon, I could face "significant delays" in my purchase. I didn't worry too much about it as I figured I'd do it the next day. When My password was cancelled when I logged on the next day was when I began to panic. I can't help but think my order has been significantly delayed despite what they told me yesterday. Also, if a timely response is so important to them, they should have mentioned that in the email inviting us to confirm our order. That might have helped others who might see the email and figure they had plenty of time to respond. Of course that wouldn't have mattered in my case.Well, we'll see. Nothing I can do but wait. I just think they could do this better.

The EPA numbers are not official yet, and the messaging given to the call center staff has not changed as a result. As for your configuration window, there will be another opportunity in the next couple of weeks. smart has defined the windows, and the process for the configurations. While it is frustrating, I know, there is an important operational reason for why they are doing it this way. There should not a serious delay in the delivery of your car, so long as you configure you car when you are next invited. Delivery time frames will be skewed by production windows at the factory anyway, so configuring within a window of a couple of weeks shouldn't impact your overall delivery timeframe.

Had a similar experience (didn't actually get the email just garbled phone messages) but in my panic I did the same as you with basically the same answers. They re-emailed me and allowed me to configure the car. This happened in about one week from my call. I was told that I would be forfeiting my original place in line. Hey, maybe not after reading your post. I'm just happy I managed to configure the car. No big deal if I have to wait a bit.

Had a similar experience (didn't actually get the email just garbled phone messages) but in my panic I did the same as you with basically the same answers. They re-emailed me and allowed me to configure the car. This happened in about one week from my call. I was told that I would be forfeiting my original place in line. Hey, maybe not after reading your post. I'm just happy I managed to configure the car. No big deal if I have to wait a bit.

Right, no big deal if your delivery is only delayed a week or so. It would just be very unfair if you forfeited your place in line all the way to the back of the line or even a few thousand places back. I seem to remember back in March when we were asked to pay the $99 deposit, that we were supposed to be at the front of the line. I just think it would be a shame if you get pushed way back the first time this happens to you. Again, I think if they simply kept the password for the configuration website active for 2 or 3 weeks, this would eliminate the problem for virtually everyone. I think it is admirable that they are obviously trying to preserve the order the reservations were placed, but I can't understand why they couldn't anticipate these types of problems.

what difference would it make if they simply didn't cancel the web site password until at least 2 or 3 weeks had passed? quote]

The difference it would make would be that it could have the potential to grind the whole process to a halt for 3 weeks waiting for people to reply. Then the next batch could wait 3 weeks to make up their mind.

In its extreme it could be next Fall before cars would start to arrive.

Tide, time and assembly lines wait for no man.

You can't let the early depositers hold up everyone after them just because you didn't check your email when you were expecting to hear from smart.

In perspective, you missed the deadline, the deadline didn't miss you.

Unfortunate, but hard to be sympathetic.

Edit - spell check.

what difference would it make if they simply didn't cancel the web site password until at least 2 or 3 weeks had passed? quote]

The difference it would make would be that it could have the potential to grind the whole process to a halt for 3 weeks waiting for people to reply. Then the next batch could wait 3 weeks to make up their mind.

In its extreme it could be next Fall before cars would start to arrive.

You can't let the early depositers hold up everyone after them just because you didn't check your email when you were expecting to hear from smart.

In perspective' date=' you missed the deadline, the deadline didn't miss you.

Unfortunate, but hard to be sympathetic.

Well, who says they have to wait until they hear from 100% of the invitees from the previous round before they send out more "Invites"? I've read a lot of speculation about pretty much everything else about these cars the last few months but nothing about this process. It sure seems to me that if this process is set in stone, wouldn't it be better from a customer service perspective to notify everyone in advance of the process?

For example, if they send out emails inviting us to reconfirm and we only have seven days to respond, why not say so in the email? Or how hard would it be to post on their web page that they plan to send out another few hundred invites in the next few days? I haven't even gotten a newsletter since August, I think. That would be a great place to keep everyone who has sent in deposits updated about their process.

As I've said, I admire Smart for apparently trying to maintain some sort of priority in fulfilling orders. It is just frustrating for people like me who simply want to continue supporting them by completing the order, even while we wait for official EPA numbers, dealer information, etc. as their launch date approaches.

Edit - spell check.[/quote']

I did receive the REINVITE yesterday and it specified that it would expire on November 28. Needless to say, I had my Passion configured in about an hour. Hopefully, missing one invite won't matter too much in the big scheme of things. Good luck to everybody else, especially since this newest confirmation period will straddle the Thanksgiving holidays. If you are expecting the INVITE, check your email early and often!

Glad to hear you got the email and finally cot it configured. One thing I've done is white-listed support@mysmartfortwo.com by adding it to my contacts in gmail. I saw in another post that that is the email address that we get the reconfirmation email from. This way it should get past any spam filters.