Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LorbeerTLC

New 451: U.S. Version - Studded Tires for Winter Driving

6 posts in this topic

Man, now here's a topic.I'm finding out these new wheels are very hard to find tires for. Maybe you have better luck with the 450, but I've checked everywhere and these Continental's are tough to find. And that's just the original stock tires. Thank God they're "All Season".Has anyone heard of any tire company that offers "Studded Tires" for the 451?Of course (grinning), when you look at the door jam, it say's "Made in France". Reminds me of when I bought an R-5 (Le Car) in 1977. Renault made the funkiest parts that were exclusive only to Renault (sorry Mike T. I know you're a big Peugeot & Renualt fan, but if you've owned Renaults, you've got to know what I'm talking about). So trying to find tires are going to bring back memories of owning my R-5 (ahh... the good 'ol days). At least the R-5 tires were standard size.Anyway, it's a new car. Maybe Toyo or Michelin will introduce something in the future.(...um, update- I just received an e-mail from both Toyo and Michelin... they both said they have no plans on making any tires to fit the new 451 Smart. Guess the next step is to change wheel size?).I fear the day I get a flat ("Sorry, sir... we don't stock those size tires. We'll have to order 'cause our wearhouse doesn't carry them either. I'll guess they should be here in about- ...oh a week or two...") :tremble:

I have not seen or heard of a studded winter tire for the smart. However, Hankook and Blizzak both make winter tires in the correct size for the smart. Don't count on the Conti "all-season" tires to do well in the winter if you live in a climate that has sub-zero (deg. C.) temps.

I don't think the OEM Contis are true all-season tires. A couple of sales people said so but I don't believe it is actually correct. Better double-check that, cousin.Also, the scenario you describe of "sorry - not available" was the usual state of affairs here in Canada for a couple of years years. Even still, dealerships get caught short and have to order from elsewhere. The "week or two" lead time is not too far off. Thank goodness the indies like Flying Tiger are stocking decent quantities now.Snow tires however, are mostly sold out before the first snowfall. Then you have to wait for them to come from Europe, if there is even any Internation inventory left by then!Bil :sun:

I have not seen or heard of a studded winter tire for the smart. However, Hankook and Blizzak both make winter tires in the correct size for the smart. Don't count on the Conti "all-season" tires to do well in the winter if you live in a climate that has sub-zero (deg. C.) temps.

Blizzak, eh? I thought you could only get those at Dairy Queen (ok, bad joke :tomatos: ).Well, our climate is nothing compaired to Ontario. It does get below freezing and sometimes there's black ice. We can go through a season without snow- then the next season, we could get a foot in one storm! I think I'll keep a set of chains in the trunk, -er I mean the back.-Tom L.

I don't think the OEM Contis are true all-season tires. A couple of sales people said so but I don't believe it is actually correct. Better double-check that, cousin.Also, the scenario you describe of "sorry - not available" was the usual state of affairs here in Canada for a couple of years years. Even still, dealerships get caught short and have to order from elsewhere. The "week or two" lead time is not too far off. Thank goodness the indies like Flying Tiger are stocking decent quantities now.Snow tires however, are mostly sold out before the first snowfall. Then you have to wait for them to come from Europe, if there is even any Internation inventory left by then!Bil :sun:

Well, according to what I could find, the OEM Contis for the U.S. (Canada?) 451 Smart's will be the ContiProContact.Tire Rack has a picture of the tire (when you get to the site, click on the image and you can increase the picture size), and it says it's a M+S Tire. However, the ratings seem to be pretty "middle-of-the-road". You can see it at this link:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...CPC&place=0From what I've read, I'm not very impressed. Seems like just a "standard" tire.-Tom L.

From what I've read, I'm not very impressed. Seems like just a "standard" tire.

Just so, Tom :yes: It is not really an all-season tire. I have Vredestein Quatrac2 tires on my Pulse and they are a superb, true all-season tire. However, I changed the wheels so I could use 175s all 'round. FastEddy may have Vreds~ in standard smart front & rear sizes by now though... ?B:sun: