Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mkt

Puerto Rico.. gotta love it

14 posts in this topic

Just got off the phone with the PR Revenue Service (ie- tax collector).Import tax, approximately $4,000 for a 451 based on the SF cars VIN.Grey market zap smarts, each one is evaluated individually at the port.She then asked me why I'm importing a car and not contributing to the local economy. I told her that I wanted something more efficient and different to what is presently offered on the island, and that would also be easy to park. The lady then called me a yuppy and that that car is so small, if it goes in a pothole, it will likely be stuck there for good. Then she hung up on me.I am not looking forward to dealing with them when it comes time to pick the car up from the boat.

What a shame. Talk about a car ideally suited to the conditions and they aren't going to be available from a local dealer?That aside, congratulations on living in such a beautiful place. I have fond memories of my time stationed there in the mid-'70s.

What a shame. Talk about a car ideally suited to the conditions and they aren't going to be available from a local dealer?

They will be eventually available from a local dealer... the problem is lack of information and marketing materials on the island.Plus, the way things work here, we won't have a dealer until 2 mos-2 years after the mainland US. With Mini, there were no dealers here until about 2 years after their intruduction in the mainland US, with Scion about 3 months.We don't even have Saturn dealers here yet (although there are quite a few privately imported Skys, and a handful of other models here)As far as ideally suited, fo rme specifically. My studio is in Old San Juan, and this car is perfect for the roads there. They're tiny even by European standards.

That aside, congratulations on living in such a beautiful place. I have fond memories of my time stationed there in the mid-'70s.

Thanks! Where were you stationed at? I live about 1/4 mile from Ft. Buchanan.

You should complain about that imbecile. Imagine: insulting someone on the phone! She should be ashamed of her behaviour.

I was stationed at Roosevelt Roads out by Ceiba. Our favorite restaurant was La Fonda del Callejon in old San Juan. That's where I learned that a Coqui was not just a tree frog. Hope it's still there.

I was stationed at Roosevelt Roads out by Ceiba. Our favorite restaurant was La Fonda del Callejon in old San Juan. That's where I learned that a Coqui was not just a tree frog. Hope it's still there.
ahh... I go surfing out there on occasion. I'll go find out about the restaurant. My place to eat and... err... imbibe is called the Brass Cactus

You should complain about that imbecile. Imagine: insulting someone on the phone! She should be ashamed of her behaviour.

I agree. She works for the govt and that is something completley unprofessional. She frankly shouldn't butt into buisness that isnt of her own.

I already filed a complaint... what really pissed me off was, this is the Department of Revenue- they should be thankful whenever someone is calling and basically offering to give them more money. Grrrr

I agree. She works for the govt and that is something completley unprofessional. She frankly shouldn't butt into buisness that isnt of her own.

I agree. She works for the govt and that is something completley unprofessional. She frankly shouldn't butt into buisness that isnt of her own. :biglaugh:

that's how PR works.. plegh.The 2003 4Runner in my driveway has an excuse tax of $6800 as of today... but that one was purchased locally :)The 2004 Acura MDX in my driveway has an excise tax of $7101 as of today, but that one doesn't belong to me- I'm only the babysitter for it till my cousin returns from Guatemala.Thankfully, my 97 Jetta only had a $750 excise tax when it hit the port... much more reasonable.It seems that the most frequently imported vehicles here are Mitsubishi Montero Sports (their tax is in the $2-3k range, depending on year, trim and equipment level) and the Saturn Sky (which has a $4700 excise tax)

I agree. She works for the govt and that is something completley unprofessional. She frankly shouldn't butt into buisness that isnt of her own. :biglaugh:
There's gremlins in this forum system! I swear I only posted this once! Well at least everyone got my point :encore: