Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aphoenix

smart at the LA Auto Show

19 posts in this topic

Smart is at the LA Auto Show that opens to the public tomorrow. There are three US Spec fortwo's on display, along with a Tridion cell. Here are a few photos I was able to snap yesterday.Also, the smart house has just gotten a couple of the US Spec cars as well, to replace the Euro Spec models they have been driving.

post-1531-1195169276.jpg

post-1-1195169276.jpg

post-1-1195169277.jpg

Aphoenix, thanks for the heads up on the US specs Smarts at the smart house. Going to drop by on Saturday and maybe go to the LA autos how as well.

Thanks for the pix, aphoenix! That's what my interior should look like, as I ordered the Design Beige in my fortwo. :doublethumb: I keep thinking, "Just a couple more months..." :yahoo:

Aphoenix to the rescue again. Thanks for sharing the pixs. I can't wait to drive a US spec smart! The Euro ones were cool but I want to see if there really is a difference with the transmission. Even if there isn't, I'm still buying my smart!!

Side question: What year do you think smart will release a new model? 2010 or 2011? I'm just trying to gauge how long it will take to get a Brabus type smart and if I should purchase an extended warranty.

Thanks, Regina

Side question: What year do you think smart will release a new model? 2010 or 2011? I'm just trying to gauge how long it will take to get a Brabus type smart and if I should purchase an extended warranty.

No clue. If I were to guess, I would say 2-3 years minimum, but that is truly a guess.

Thank you for the pics. The US spec shifter really is much less attractive than the EU version, don't you think?

Oh my godddddddddd that's fantastic. The atmosphere of that building is absolutely perfect for smart!The shifter looks way better than I thought; I'm plesantly surprised! The PNDR icon on the fascia, it looks like it illuminates?-Iain

I don't mind the US shifter. While I liked the quirkiness of the EU shifter, I think the one we are getting is more suited to this market.I especially like the detail of the apparently illuminated electronic bezel.They could have done much worse.... anyone ever seen a Jaguar J gate shifter?

It seems like I remember a Honda passing me on the interstate one evening, and it had some sort of glowing "halo-ish" instrument panel that I noticed. I could dig on something like that in my smart! :doublethumb:

Got to see the US specs 451's at the LA autoshow and the smart house today. The staff at the autoshow were quite informative about the car. They even gave me a cool coffee table "smartism" book. To my eyes, the red interior looked more on the orange side but still looked good. The beige interior color didn't look as good as I thought and already started to stain on the seats. I'm definitely going for the black interior for my final config. At the smart house I got a chance to test drive the 451's around the streets of Venice and did notice some improvement in performance from the euro specs. It appeared it had a little more pick-up and shifts smoother in (+-) manual mode. The engine also seamed to be quieter from the earlier euro model I test drove earlier this year. Now I'm even looking more forward for 2008!

post-2937-1195369598.jpg

post-1-1195369598.jpg

post-1-1195369599.jpg

post-1-1195369600.jpg

Cool, thanks for the photos! So maybe this revised shifter isn't all bad eh?

I also saw the US spec cars at the LA Auto Show and drove one in Venice. I agree the shifting is smoother than the Euro cars and it seemed quieter.

The PRND is illuminated, besides the display below the speedo, its the only way to know what gear you're in.

Here are some pictures from LA and Venice.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Got to see the US specs 451's at the LA autoshow and the smart house today. The staff at the autoshow were quite informative about the car. They even gave me a cool coffee table "smartism" book. To my eyes, the red interior looked more on the orange side but still looked good. The beige interior color didn't look as good as I thought and already started to stain on the seats. I'm definitely going for the black interior for my final config. At the smart house I got a chance to test drive the 451's around the streets of Venice and did notice some improvement in performance from the euro specs. It appeared it had a little more pick-up and shifts smoother in (+-) manual mode. The engine also seamed to be quieter from the earlier euro model I test drove earlier this year. Now I'm even looking more forward for 2008!

Someone please tell me...What are the little slots in front of the shifter for???? Change holder??