Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DJW

Farmers Insurance Dropping smart coverage

12 posts in this topic

Got a call today from our Farmers Insurance agent today telling me he had just received a letter from HQ's indicating that Farmers would no longer insure smart cars older than 2007. That your coverage would be good until your renewal and then would be canceled. Has anyone else heard about this?Dennis

That's ridiculous. Farmers Insurance should be ashamed of themselves. Talk about bad business. They have a customer that pays them money and they just decide to drop them. They loose that person's business for life and probably some of his friends and family.Sorry to hear about this, Dennis. I hope you get it resolved.

Yes, that is really crappy.I have Progressive - they quoted me the exact same price I am paying for my VUE right now on the smart, but told me it would likely drop when they got actual information.

Got a call today from our Farmers Insurance agent today telling me he had just received a letter from HQ's indicating that Farmers would no longer insure smart cars older than 2007. That your coverage would be good until your renewal and then would be canceled. Has anyone else heard about this?Dennis

Gee... that sucks!You know... wouldn't it be ironic if... an unfortunate event happened just before you insurance expired... (really unfortunate...), where your car got "totaled"... (very unfortunate...), and you had to take 'er, invest... the money from your claim towards a new 2008... (really, very, unfortunate...).......:whistling:

I called my Farmer's agent and she has not received any instruction like that.....if it happens here in Virginia, then I move all my cars, house, boat, flood, to a different carrier.

Here's a update on the smart insurance with Farmers. As it turns out Farmers is not dropping all smart car insurance only the ones that only have thier smart insured with Farmers. The smart belongs to our LLC in Monatana and was the only thing we had insured with them so they decided they no longer wanted to insure it so we switched to Progressive which was a little more expensive but now we get a mutiple policy discount on our sailboat in HI. to it was pretty much a wash in the end.Dennis

i had exactly that issue - Farmers not willing to insure. Farmers, who have had my coverage for over 10 years on several cars and home with NEVER a claim filed would not cover me. i have subsequently shifted everything to Progressive. the quote i got is reasonable and i have heard nothing about them changing it or canceling it based on new information. these companies better get on board given that this car is going to be a fixture in the states very soon. i'm sure penske will have a cow if more than one carrier is not on board. :o

They have flexability..with me I did the opposite.... moved all my cars to Farmers moved my home to Farmers and am trying to have Farmers insure my boat...they are more than happy to insure SCHMART...do you think they will call me and decidenot to insure my smart...I seriously doubt it...wouldn't be the best business move, so I do think it helps to give them the business in my case. :)

Farmers is not dropping all smart car insurance only the ones that only have thier smart insured with Farmers. Dennis

In other words, if you have OTHER things insured through them ALSO, it's not a problem...That's silly. <_<

i agree it's not a good business move. i think each area of the country is different. Farmers is a major carrier and i would be surprised if this was a centralized decision, especially given that the cars are coming to the USA, the safety record is known from Canada, Europe, Australia, etc....

Here's a update on the smart insurance with Farmers. As it turns out Farmers is not dropping all smart car insurance only the ones that only have thier smart insured with Farmers.

A lot of insurance companies won't insure your ATV without also having your car or house insurance.So what if it will fit in the box of a long bed pickup, that doesn't mean they should treat your smart like an ATV :D

Actually, that's really bad DJW, sorry to hear. I've had this crap thrown at me for the first several years of riding motorcyles, until I started insuring them with other vehicles.This is the first time I've heard of them excluding cars without other property.