Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LorbeerTLC

Smart's U.S. 2008 Allotment of fortwo's Filled?

21 posts in this topic

I read somewhere in this forum that the U.S. allotment of fortwo's for 2008 has been filled. Has anyone else heard this? Does that mean now those who reserved their Smart's on line will have to wait till 2009 or can Smart crank-up their production to fill the demand? :dunno: -Tom L.

I sent an email to smart usa a few days ago regarding just that question. I asked that the issue be addressed since all of this unconfirmed info/rumor is circulating. Still waiting for a reply though. Will post as soon as they do.......... if they ever do.

I sent an email to smart usa a few days ago regarding just that question. I asked that the issue be addressed since all of this unconfirmed info/rumor is circulating. Still waiting for a reply though. Will post as soon as they do.......... if they ever do.

I've got an unfomfortible feeling this is going to be like a husband being asked by his wife if she's overweight. :tremble: How do you answer that (in "damage control" mode), without losing future customers that don't want to wait that long? Plus, if they do get a 2009, would Smart stick with the 2008 prices? :dunno: -Tom L.

I think there might be an opportunity to ramp up production a bit even on two shifts as they are now. Laying on a third shift is an option too, but that involves training of new staff and commits them to making another 60-70,000 cars a year, if it's a year long shift.

I don't know why, but I wouldn't worry just yet. I think that once they get all the dealers set up, and after the 1st of the year, we'll be hearing lots more. I just think they are all-consumed right now in getting everything running like it should for the 2008 launch in the US. Now, mind you...I have NO insider info. This is just all my opinion. Now. That being said, would I like more info? H-E-double toothpicks YES!!! I'd scrimp & scramble for info!! :biglaugh: I just thought of a good parallel...in MY mind at least. When Shania Twain first came out...she was all over the radio, but no concerts. It was well over a year after her first album came out before she went on tour. And boy...was THAT ever a successful tour. Now, I'm not saying that smartusa is intentionally holding info back from us for marketing strategies. But I think they are 1.-consumed with making sure the car comes out right; and 2.-letting the car speak for itself until it's officially HERE...2008. Just my humble opinion. (I know there are acronyms for 1/2 the stuff I say...I just HATE acronyms!) :-)

I doubt smartUSA can give a definite answer until they know how many of the people who have placed their $99 deposits actually follow through with their purchases.

Here's something referenced in a USA Today article that I read in an adjacent forum: Next Generation smart fortwo (Type 451) » America crazy about bread box on wheels! There's a part in the second paragraph about "8 out of 10 reservation holders saying they still want to buy one". Sure, I realize that doesn't mean anything until the dealers have money in hand, but it's still an interesting tidbit.

Who needs advertising? If the car seems unconventional, so is the way it's being sold. Schembri says he isn't advertising it. No need. Not with 30,000 online reservations in the bank. Instead, he says, he came up with the road show because the car has to be experienced from the driver's seat.Smart car officials won't say how many cars they expect to deliver in the first six months, only that they'll meet demand, which so far has amounted to eight out of every 10 reservation holders saying they still want to buy one.Dealers will deliver cars to customers but won't have any to sell off the lot, at least at first. At Mercedes-Benz of San Francisco, where the upstairs portion of the showroom has become a splashy Smart car studio, the only Smart cars available are for demonstration purposes.Inventory may be lacking, but not enthusiasm. "I'm completely psyched," says an otherwise buttoned-down Bill Scott, the dealer's Smart brand manager. He says he put in his own Smart car reservation before he knew he would be hawking them.

When the 450 came to Canada in Sept. '04 I believe they figured on 500 units by the year end. Within a few weeks they increased the projection to 800. Then 1500. Then within the first year, 5000 sold in the first year. More than their wildest expectations. (Mike can give the exact numbers, but I think you get the picture) When the demand was there, production filled the need. Anita in KC is right on the money. They are doing it right the first time. Get the dealers in place and running smoothly. Then with 10, 20, or 30 thousand back orders the factory can crank up and fill the need. As far as lack of advertising goes, the car sells itself. Advertising will come when needed to keep the momentum going.

Fred is _almost_ right; in calendar year 2005, smart Canada sold a few over 4000 units. That would be 44,000, pro-rata for the USA.

Mike,Did Smart Canada fill all the fortwo orders for that year or did demand outstrip supply (forcing customers to wait till the following year)? :dunno: -Tom L.

They raised their 2004/05 factory production allocation TWO or THREE times.

Wow!Then, I'm confused.I'm always hearing Mercedes is losing money on Smart. I would think this is not the case. If goals are being surpassed, why is this car not in the "black"?Tom L.

Long story.First let's not say that because M-B Canada got its allocation increased, that PAG could easily do the same. The reason being: the US car market is 11 times larger than the CDN one, so the USA production allocation increase would have to be in the tens of thousands, which may be a bit harder to fulfill than the one or two thousand for Canada, especially if the factory is running near capacity already (as it is due to strong 451 demand worldwide). When Canada needed a few more, the 450 production was nowhere near capacity.And why are they not in the black?When smart was created, a separate dealer network was set up in Europe. This put pressure on smart to become a multi-model manufacturer, to keep the new dealers happy and profitable. So they needed a sports car, an SUV, a small family car....smart started developing all of these and two of the three reached production. The forfour was a Mitsubishi Colt and the stillborn formore SUV was going to be based upon a Mercedes 4MATIC platform. The R&D costs for these three models were significant, and the two that made it to production sold not too well....red ink flowed.All through this, the fortwo was probably - on its own - profitable.So the cancellation of the roadster and forfour, and the integration of smart into Mercedes-Benz dealers in Europe has consolidated the smart operation and virtually eliminated the pressure for more smart models (from the dealers at least). And PAG is following the same path: the dealers all are multi-marque.Anyway they will break even in 2007 and perhaps turn a profit in 2008.

Mike,Thank you for that informaton.It's too bad Mercedes Auto Group doesn't have a book out for Christmas all about the Smart car. I would love to be a little bit more literate in the history and all about the Smart and more. I don't know if you have Costco's up in Canada, but sometimes Costco's book sections are brimming with big huge picture books all about the "Mustang" "Harley-Davidson" and others. "The Smart Car" would be a great title. Wouldn't that be a terrific Christmas stocking stuffer on the eve of the 2008 model year.I hope the U.S. will be able to pull Smart out and help it get back into the black (and bring back the roadster!)-Tom L.

I agree, a large format photo essay about smart, written by an enthusiast, would be great!

There is an excellent book out about the history and development of the smart (though not put out by Daimler). See some details here.

Mike,

Thank you for that informaton.

It's too bad Mercedes Auto Group doesn't have a book out for Christmas all about the Smart car. I would love to be a little bit more literate in the history and all about the Smart and more. I don't know if you have Costco's up in Canada, but sometimes Costco's book sections are brimming with big huge picture books all about the "Mustang" "Harley-Davidson" and others. "The Smart Car" would be a great title. Wouldn't that be a terrific Christmas stocking stuffer on the eve of the 2008 model year.

I hope the U.S. will be able to pull Smart out and help it get back into the black (and bring back the roadster!)

-Tom L.

This Book is apretty good history of the fortwo and of smart in general. plenty of photos as well.

It's too bad Mercedes Auto Group doesn't have a book out for Christmas all about the Smart car.

They do have a coffee table picture book out called "SMARTISM." I have a couple of copies of the English version, one still in shrink wrap I'm saving for eBay. I haven't found the English version for sale, I got mine at the smart House in Venice and at the LA Auto Show. You can see the German version for sale here:http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3613028271/addall

Beverly Hills Mercedes reports that they will get about 600 smarts for 2008 and that they all ready have 500 reservations for them.