Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

How-To: Build a Tire Tote for the Spare Tire

60 posts in this topic

This is a work-in-progress; not exactly taking the format of a conventional How-To:. I'm no seamstress! I need some help with this.

So, I'd like to build some kind of very tight storage case for the spare tire that sits behind my driver's seat. The tire right now is siting in a giant LEGO bag, which looks like rubbish.

Here's more-or-less what I was thinking:

Posted Image

The material would have to be some kind of hard-wearing vinyl type fabric I guess. 4 pieces - two discs, and two "C" shaped pieces that when the ends are brought together, they form a conical tapered surface. This is to approximately match the curvature of the tire tread.

To keep things nice and tight, I want to have an elastic element stitched between that tapered band and the zipper.

And then to round it all off, I'd get someone like Karen to embroider me in the smart logo, left justified!

Thoughts? When I told my mom what I wanted to do she said "You know that's actually going to be very difficult". She has this crazy PFAFF sewing machine (that I was forbiden to play with as a kid, lol).

-Iain

Right, but not for the smart tire size. I am not convinced an existing on-the-market tire tote would be tight-fitting enough to make me happy. I don't want some giant tire tote that I have to tuck the extra material around, I want something really really snug/tight.-Iain

Right, but not for the smart tire size. I am not convinced an existing on-the-market tire tote would be tight-fitting enough to make me happy. I don't want some giant tire tote that I have to tuck the extra material around, I want something really really snug/tight.

-Iain

Robyn in New Jersey makes 'em: http://www.njbaglady.com/Products/spare.html

"The bag is made of a durable 10 oz. cotton "duck" fabric." :biglaugh:

Hope mine gets here this week...

B:sun:

Greetings. Not being a seamstress either, I figure that I would get my wife (who is a seamstress) to comment on this:"First off I wouldn't recommend using vinyl for the fabric bits. Two problems with said fabric, 1: not exactly washable except as surface, 2: breaks down and cracks over time, especially when in contact with road salts.For the elastic bits you might try neoprene( the stuff they make wet suits out of). I do know that it stands up to chlorine fairly well. The color fades over time(since chlorine is a type of bleach) but as far as wear goes it does hold up fairly well and stretches in two directions( as opposed to elastic which only stretches in one).It is also washable. Just don't put it in the dryer.Now if I haven't totally turned your brain to mush, what you are proposing isn't that difficult. I wouldn't recommend it as a first project however since you would need some sort of sewing experience to do it.As for the fabric, you might want to see if you can find a product called 'Oxford" . It has a water-proof backing and is normally used for hockey bags and other sports equipment. The advantage to using this fabric is that it is water-proof and "eureka" it is washable. Just don't put it through the dryer.( PS: it has no stretch what-so-ever.)you might also want to use a heavy duty zipper, usually used for sports bags and canvas, either seperating or closed. seperating zippers have the advantage of coming completely apart.(like a coat zipper).PS Can I steal your idea and make one for my husband? Just to see how well it works.LG"I hope the above helps. MG

I haven't got time right now to sew any but maybe in future if I can find a suitable nylon hockey bag type material. ours is vinyl. I used velcro for closing because a zipper is hard to slide the tire in and out of especially when dirty.Duck, Jake is not far from your work and I think he is going over to your place tomorrow so if you have time go look at it.Not the sewing mind you, lots of skipped stitches. my sewing machine is not set up to sew vinyl. I did embroider ours though that is easy. We can't smell the rubber through it but the nylon will be much easier to sew. I have the template cut out if you need one.KarenStitch N Smart

I made a cover out of black ultra-suede some time ago. Took me an hour or so and looks great. I carry my extra front wheel behind my seat as the spare.

I have a set of Tire Totes and they do up *just* tight enough. They're not totally snug, but the only time you really notice is when you go to lift the tire/wheel by the carrying strap on the Tote. Otherwise, they fit fine, look fine, and work great!

And at only $22 per pair, you can't go wrong.

Make the tote large enough to hold your largest tire, so you can transport the flat in it without getting your car filthy.

I have a set of Tire Totes and they do up *just* tight enough. They're not totally snug, but the only time you really notice is when you go to lift the tire/wheel by the carrying strap on the Tote. Otherwise, they fit fine, look fine, and work great!And at only $22 per pair, you can't go wrong.

Costco has Michelin tire totes, 4 for $29 (maybe even less, but not more). Seems like a better deal, and basically the same thing.I bought a set, and will let you know how they work. I didn't intend to use them on the smart, but I'll test it out on one of the front wheels.

Interesting... probably is the same thing, as the company that makes Tire Totes offers customized branding. (Mine were from Performance Improvements). If the price is $29 for 4, that's a GREAT deal.We absolutely love our tire totes. It makes moving and storing our off-season wheels and tires so much easier and cleaner.

Wish I was a member of that store! I would get a couple more sets because they fit so many different size tires and the strap makes carrying them around so easy.

I may give up on this; Jake swung by my office last night and the tire tote that Karen made (see above) is perfect!!-Iain

It's not that perfect Iain. Your idea is every bit as good.I want to make it out of a lighter water proof none ripping nylon material and add another strap around the front to back edges do it is stronger when grasping and pulling it out from behind the seat. I have a strap around the outer edge with a handle now. It does stretch to fit the largest tire it needs, a dirty rear could be put in a large garbage bag first then slipped in. in an emergency. I should have a pair of gloves, a rag and an extra garbage bag inside, maybe a kneeling pad too. flats always happen when you are dressed up. or bare knees. ouch.I would offfer them for sale but to compete with the other tire totes it would not pay me anything. sorry guys. plus I'm not sure if you guys realize you are talking about two different toes one for the car and one to store the tires in. storing them is totally different. Karen

You could probably build a nice little pocket on the inside of the tote for things like gloves, plastic bags, locking wheel bolt key, kneeling pad, etc.

BTW just as a side bar I have never in my entire life seen these "Tire Totes" in any store, anywhere, that people keep talking about!! Where the heck are you guys getting them? I went to like 3 Wal-Marts and 3 Canadian Tires and nobody had any idea what I was talking about.:cry2:-Iain

Same here, I have been in about 5 CTs and never ever seen one.

1) It's going to sit behind your seat.2) They're not leather. They're ballistic nylon around the outer rim and softer rip-stop vinyl on the sidewalls. Heavy nylon webbing for the handles and industrial-strength velcro.But as Karen said, you may want something different for carrying the spare in the car vs. storing it.