Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

How-To: Build a Tire Tote for the Spare Tire

60 posts in this topic

If i were to make one I'd do it in heavy black nylon fabric, same stuff they make duffel bags from, available at most fabric stores. You really only need a top and bottom disk and the side pieces. Don't make it overly complicated. Unless you plan on carring different sizes of tires you really don't need it to stretch. Just make it fit nice and snug.

Oh that's hideous, it looks rather like a leather cheerio.

2) They're not leather.

Leather Cheerio
if you guys need me i'll be in the other room, crying... trying to get this out of my head... lol

Your right leejor; don't make it complicated. That's why I used velcro on the opening the gusset or the edge peices. They are in two sections around just over half way. that way they overlap and stop any nasty odors from coming out. also making the opening just over half way makes it easy to push the tire in and take out. Also around the outside I used a heavy strapping to prevent stressing the fabric(vinyl or what ever) when pulling the thing out from behind the seat. it is also a handle (be sure to reinforce at the handle part.) also be sure to trace the tires largest point when making the top and bottom. leave about an inch extra for seams. After sewing cut little cuts into the seams every inch or so around the outside seams,(careful not to snip the threads) to keep the seam from puckering and voila you are done. Ours is actually loose enough to take the rear winter tirel yet looks tight enough on the front summer tread so it still looks ok without stretching sorry to misslead you on that mine doesn't stretch. do not use any elastic as the heat of the summer will eventually cause it to fail anyway.good luck, lets see some imagination with colour nowKaren

I drove thirty miles to the nearest Costco Store to take a look at their tire totes. Nobody there seemed to have ever heard anything about them and when they tried looking them up on their computer to see if they were a 'seasonal stocking item', nothing showed up there, either. So, they may have a bargain price, but apparently not in Toledo, Ohio. I'm starting to prefer the cover done by Tardis, because I would have to also buy the felt liners to go with the leather cheerios if I purchase Tire Totes.Karen, do you have a price on those yet, (including at least one of the four with the picture of a blue/gray cabrio?

Cordura ( I think that's how it's you spell it) nylon works well, for any thing that has to be somewhat heavy duty. If you are lucky enough to have a place that sells "outdoor" fabrics, check them out. I know there is a place on Main street , here in Vancouver.

BTW just as a side bar I have never in my entire life seen these "Tire Totes" in any store, anywhere, that people keep talking about!! Where the heck are you guys getting them? I went to like 3 Wal-Marts and 3 Canadian Tires and nobody had any idea what I was talking about.:cry2:-Iain

the ct on weber near my apt has them

Thanks Harleyduo glad you liked it. I did get some material for cargo covers and I will play around with it probably late next week by the looks of it. I have to get some cargo covers done first. I will have pictures and another thread on self promo next week. The cargo covers have club smart car .ca embroidered on them along with for everyone who loves smart cars. Poto type was at the GTA brunch in Ontario section someone took a nice picture of it but it was rather wrinkled that has since been recitified.I had a greenhouse window blow out yesterday and have to get that looked after first. it is getting a little chilly in there.hang in thereKaren

Tardis,I really love your slim jim tire tote :heart: and I thought I mentioned that but I see I didn't post my thoughts. Anyway, I love the stitching and seeing our beloved smart embossed so nicely is a treat. That would be a great Xmas gift for my smartie to come. However, I would want it to say, "Be prepared - Be smart!" and a course a pix of a blue/black cabrio.To the other smarties who posted the link to the tire totes that have holes in the middle. I find these to be a bit weird. Why have a whole in the middle when that will allow dirt to get in your smart. I just don't see the rationale of having a hole for a tote when you have a handle. :scratch: Thanks for sharing though.Regina

Regina:Those of us crazy enough to use the totes with the holes are generally not using this as a solution to carrying a spare tire in the car. This is just for when we need to move them around to store the wheels during the off season. When I take a wheel off, steelie or alloy, it gets a bubble bath and a good wax before being put in the tote. It is then neat, clean, and easy to carry.I don't carry a spare tire - having something this heavy unsecured in the car is dangerous. In an accident, things fly around in a car. Our tridion and air bags will not help against a flying wheel inside the car.Princess Diana was travelling in the safest car in the world, a Mercedes "S" class. But she died because she wasn't wearing her seat belt and became, herself, a deadly object to the other occupants of the car. The only survivor was in a front seat, wearing a restraint. He was seriously injured by the flying bodies around him. Princess Di became an unfortunate metaphor for unbelted passengers - usually, no one is spared.Spares need to be bolted down - there is no provision for this in a smart.Ian

Ian - I was thinking about this all last week actually. Behind my driver's seat, I have my spare tire, and my subwoofer. The tire is what, about 15 kg? The subwoofer is close to 25 kg. In a a crash from say 65 km/h assuming deformation of ~0.5 m, that's about 35 g - meaning that 40 kg mass behind the seat suddenly is a ton and a half of force pushing forward against the seat.Where I'm sitting.Hrm. :/Fifth Gear did an episode to this and they showed how even simple items left in the car on the parcel shelf in the back, etc. can be (are) totally fatal in even a basic crash.-Iain

Ian - I was thinking about this all last week actually. Behind my driver's seat, I have my spare tire, and my subwoofer. The tire is what, about 15 kg? The subwoofer is close to 25 kg. In a a crash from say 65 km/h assuming deformation of ~0.5 m, that's about 35 g - meaning that 40 kg mass behind the seat suddenly is a ton and a half of force pushing forward against the seat.Where I'm sitting.Hrm. :/Fifth Gear did an episode to this and they showed how even simple items left in the car on the parcel shelf in the back, etc. can be (are) totally fatal in even a basic crash.-Iain

Mythbusters also did a segment on flying objects in the car; a tissue box might not hurt, but the fire extinguisher and hatchet would be painful (if only until death sets in)MG

Just to let you folks know. Costco have boxes of tyre totes around $24 for a set of 4. I picked one up last week. Yesy they have no sides but it should be easy to add those with a simple circle of fabric velcro'd in place. Check them out.

Started on a continental for my spare, found a hard cover at a travel trailer supply no name brand on it (old stock). Made a hoop to be fastened to the rear bumper reinforcement. However rethinking it to swing to the side. Will advise.

Why re-invent the wheel, or in this case tire cover. Bag Lady does it right for $36 (Bush bucks). http://www.njbaglady.com/

Posted Image

This pix shows spare does not intrude on boot space. Tire and wheel from Tire Rack. Smart is 451, should work on 450.

Posted Image

Edited by a2jack

That looks great!----unfortunately a little too great for my liking. I don't want some junkie to smash my window to take something that he thinks might contain valuables.I had that happen a few years ago---we had a backpack for carrying our baby that we had left in our van overnight. It looked a bit like a regular backpack and somebody smashed our rear window and took it. They abandoned it soon afterwards when they realized it contained nothing of value (it didn't contain anything).The container for my spare is consequently a heavy-duty contractors plastic garbage bag. It's black and invisible and unattractive.

Much the same on the 450. My bag is a little... baggy... because I've got the space-saver spare from the TPM buy last summer. Hm... or was it the summer before?

Leaves room for First Aid kit and a few other goodies in with the tire. Like a Trunk Monkey to handle the crackies!

:sun:

...........................Posted Image

Edited by bilgladstone

I was really trying to get a very, very tight fit (more like a sock), hence my original plan with the elastic material....and plain, no smiley face for Duck. :P-Iain

I can see only a few problems with the elasticy type material. from a sewers perspective. It is hard to sew a straight or curved nicely line. You would have to use a good stretch stitch. Stretching the material oh so slightly and evenly then when released will have a nice seam.Second because of it's nature stretchy material breaths so you would have to cover the tire with a plastic bag(no big deal) to stop the stains and odors.Lastly when you go to pull it out you would need a non stretchy handle of some kind other wise you will be pulling your material unevenly it could damage it enough to keep a bulge.Other than that it would be a nice cover and not look bulky. Nothing wrong with "bag ladies" her work looks good but it is what you pay for. remember that, can't have a rolls royce for the price of a smart.The next dilema we are facing now (I have made a cover) is. It slips down onto and beside the jack box. so Jake is going to make a special wooden box he says with a curve on top to fit the tire. to sit under it and keep it up. We also need to find some way of fastening the tote to secure it a little better. In the event of a crash we are not worried because the seat is in front and holds it back nicely but a rollover it could cause problems.good luck Duck hope you eventually get this done.Karen

Looking over Duck's pattern, it's very well thought out and would produce a very nice fitted cover. Depending on the material chosen you may not need the elastic. The reason that I say this is that the elastic may produce a puckering effect in the material as the elastic draws in the fabric around the tire. If I interpret your design correctly, what your looking for a if a very sleek and fitted look to your tire cover. If you used a marine grade vinyl, it may have enough strech in the material to do the trick.And from another sewer's perspective if the elastic was required you could use a serger to attach the elastic to the center panel pieces quite nicely. As this is how I attach elastic to swim suites/posing suites and it does a nice job of sewing elastic around a curved leg opening. Just my :2cents: worth...

Step 1: Make a crude solid model of the spare tire in your favourite industrial 3D Solid Modeling program (ie, Solid Edge).

Posted Image

Step 2: Use said solid modeling program to design the fabric by making 2D templates and folding them into the right shape.

Posted Image

Step 3: Cut out all the shapes in paper, tape them together, and make sure it all fits over the actual tire. (it does!)

Posted Image

More later... my mom doesn't think this is going to work.

-Iain

Edited by Duck

Step 4: Overcome insecurities with sexuality and visit the Fabic Section of your local 24-hour Wal-Mart to find a bit of tough fabric 2m x 1.5 m on clearance for $4.82

Hi DuckGlad to hear your still trying. Don't forget the seam allowances I suggest about 1 inch. not the usual 5/8 inch seam allowance. it will give you a little more play area for sewing.If you are having trouble I will have the sewing machine down in the dining room I am making EB's cargo cover any way and it is set for heavy fabric. so come out for a visit if you need help and are really stuck.Also if you want Nosedive's name on it we can do that.Another great fabric discount place to try is Len's Mill in Hawksville. Mennonite country has the better stuff.Karen

How did you decide which spare tire to store as the front and back tires are different size? What about putting it on the outside of the car in the place where the tow hooks can be installed. It someone could cut some aluminum cross braces, set the tire between them and attach/bolt them in- maybe it could work???. If you want it inside - what about a lined vinyl table cloth - make an envelope and velcro it. You don't want to be muckin with zippers if it's miserable outside. Bring the dirty tire in - and at least the table cloth could be washed and returned to the car for the next happening. SC.