Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

How-To: Build a Tire Tote for the Spare Tire

60 posts in this topic

How did you decide which spare tire to store as the front and back tires are different size? What about putting it on the outside of the car in the place where the tow hooks can be installed. It someone could cut some aluminum cross braces, set the tire between them and attach/bolt them in- maybe it could work???. If you want it inside - what about a lined vinyl table cloth - make an envelope and velcro it. You don't want to be muckin with zippers if it's miserable outside. Bring the dirty tire in - and at least the table cloth could be washed and returned to the car for the next happening. SC.

Hi Snazzy Chiclet and welcome to the club.I'll let the guys tell you why they won't mount an outside tire but there are a couple out there, I've seen them before.We store our spare front tire behind the drivers seat secured onto a box with the jack etc. the tire fits neatly there.I think the table cloth thingy is a good idea in a pinch as long as it doesn't rip when you are removing it remember you have to lift the tire out. I'm not too strong so I put on handles on ours. Also I haven't seen a black vinyl table cloth. and you know these fellas like the inside of their car coordinated.. Up here we can get a good nylon heavy woven fabric that will do nicely and if you can get a vinyl lined fabric all the better to keep the odor and grim out of the car. Duck wants one better a stretchy tight fitting one. should be interesting.Ours is velcro closed I personally hate zippers for this job as when you slide the dirty tire in you could bugger the teeth on a zipper.Keep thinking Chicklet this is what makes these cars so much fun :) Karen

How did you decide which spare tire to store as the front and back tires are different size? What about putting it on the outside of the car in the place where the tow hooks can be installed.

Greetings and welcome to CsC.Those of us that carry a spare in the car use one of the fronts, as it will fit the back, but the wider back with its offsets, will not fit the front.I have seen a bolt on carrier, that attaches the same as the bike rack on the back tow bolt holes. Used properly, it interfers with opening the tail gate. I have seen one mounted upside down, and it would clear the tailgate, but was then the lowest point on the car.MG

My mom's sitting behind me finishing sewing on the Velcro - we are almost done! We've been working on it all day.-Iain

Step 5: Use the 1:1 templates you printed out on the industrial plotter at work to cut out the pieces of fabric. Tape the paper to the fabric to make sure it doesn't move.

Posted Image

Step 6: Pin the pieces together and start sewing, making sure it's inside out (so the seams are on the inside). Get family cat to help.

Posted Image

Step 7: Bribe your mother into sewing by offering to "cook" dinner (aka burn chicken strips in oven).

Posted Image

Step 8: Add velcro strip and sew using complex patterns for no reason on $1300 PFAFF sewing machine. Break needle.

Posted Image

More soon...

-Iain

Yahoo Duck's got a tire tote. Looks good functional and now no more tire smell in there. :speak_cool: Karen

I might have to take you up on your offer to come and get some logos stitched on it at some point! :D (And hear about your trip to the Dragon!)-Iain

Any time you want. we are technically still on holiday Hurricane Fay chased us north again so now Jake has now lots of time to do the house stuff he has been putting off all year haha. I will post, maybe tomorrow, the pictures from the tail of the Dragon it was great, you would love it. Karen

I read this How To and - being lazy and not in possession of a sewing maching - just ordered one from the Bag Lady ;)Edit: missing letters

Edited by Mike T

Ah Mike it won't have the satifaction of of something you made yourself. I bet Duck will like his more.Karen :rolleyes: