Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dancote

No vanity plate for my smart

14 posts in this topic

Washington state used to have a pretty classy looking standard license plate. Red, White and Blue with embossed blue letters/numbers on a background depiction of Mt. Rainier. We've had personalized plates on all our vehicles for years. Until now. The basic plate retains the same appearance but the embossed blue lettering/numbering has been replaced with shiny black letters/numbers that look like they've been applied with a cheap stencil kit.Oh, and by law, your plates must be replaced every 7 years so even if you have the old style now, you'll have to give them up eventually.I guess the silver lining is that we'll save over $200/year by reverting to standard issue plates.

Two hundred!!I thought BC was ridiculous at $50!!!

Dan,

Are you talking about the Special Design Plates?

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/...sign.html#parks

Because if you are, they're only (at most), about $45 a year (or lower, depending which style you choose), plus the regular license fees.

I plan on getting a pair for my 2008 Smart fortwo Passion Cabrio (Endangered Wildlife: Orca), to match the one on my motorcycle.

Personalized Plates run at about $47.75 for passenger cars + the regular license fees per year. For motorcycles and trailers at $45.75 plus regular fees per year.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/...rsonalized.html

-Tom L.

Per year?

No, that's a one time fee to make the plate that includes your first year. $75.00 per year after that.

I guess the silver lining is that we'll save over $200/year by reverting to standard issue plates.

Sorry for the confusion. Vanity plates are about $45/year. We have plates on 5 vehicles (2 cars, a motorhome, a trailer, a trike and a scooter) That's where the over $200 came from.We will replace each of them with regular plates when it comes time for mandatory replacement. The smart will never have them. Shame too because I had some pretty good ones I was considering.

Well ... I'm going to eat my words on this.

Got the car and couldnt resist: Posted Image

I don't have the plate yet so I did a quick 'n dirty MS Paint job.

Mine were a one-time fee of $75 and they don't make you replace plates. The plates I had on my last car were over fifteen years old. One could have plates that went back all the way to when they stopped doing annual plate changes with the year stamped on the plate, and switched to stickers that are renewed.

Here in Ontario the vanity plate charge is a one-time fee only. Thereafter, it costs the same to renew each year as a generic one does. On the subject of forced renewal of physical plates, we could use something like that here. Some brand new cars are being driven around sporting plates that cannot be read at a distance of more than a few feet because they are so rusty. The owners just transfer them from their old vehicle, not wanting to pay the money for new ones. It seems kind of silly having a shiny new car with decrepit plate(s) on it. Even new Ontario plates have had paint adhesion problems; the white background flakes and peels off. This is especially bad if power washers are sprayed on them. The authorities don't appear to have reacted to the existence of unreadable license plates; they're everywhere!. They even tolerate smoked and colored plastic covers. Some plastic plate covers are made of polystyrene which turns yellow with age, making it almost impossible to read the underlying plate number. All these are illegal I think, but enforcement is lax. The Ontario government does allow clear plastic covers; they even sell them at DOT offices (with a lifetime replacement guarantee). I have the clear government issue covers on my Saturn to mitigate the paint flaking problem. On my smart, I have clear plastic covers supplied by Oakville Autohaus, my dealer, to similarly protect the vanity plates.

New plates are like $52. It's unthinkable to me that someone would use the same plates over if they're cruddy.What drives me nuts in Ontario are the SUV drivers who think they can get away with having no front plate. I hate front plates, and it bothers me that some people "get away with it", even though it's illegal.-Iain

I remember when cars got new plates EVERY YEAR! License plate collecting was easier back in them thar times.