Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

2007.10.28-11.03 - smartless in Florida

6 posts in this topic

I never quite got around to posting photos from my trip a few weeks down to Florida for Halloween Horror Nights. :) It's my Christmas; Halloween is my favourite time of year! My buddy Dave and I have traditionally gone down the last week in October for the last 6 years or so.

Other years, we've stayed on-site at Disney, at the Mighty Ducks hotel (part of Disney's All-Stars Resort). :) This year, we decided to step it up a notch, and stayed in the VIP section at the Hard Rock Hotel on-site at Universal/IOA. For around $200/night, we got unlimited free booze and food! It also included free unlimited use of Universal's Xpress system, which essentially is admission to the front of the line on every ride... not that we needed it, because for the entire duration of our trip, all rides were walk-ons!

Posted Image

You can never go wrong with airplane wing photos to start off a photo trip report. :)

I flew out of Buffalo, as I have done in the past several times. It's only slightly further to Buffalo than Pearson (Toronto) to me, and the fares are about half of what you'd pay out of YYZ. My direct flight from Buffalo into Orlando with Southwest was well under $200 all-in.

Posted Image

On arriving, we picked up our rental car, and I watched on helplessly as Dave missed turn after turn (not really).

We both arrived Sunday night and after checking into the hotel, headed straight to Universal to start the trip off right with a bang, at Halloween Horror Nights!

Posted Image

the Hard Rock Hotel where we stayed at Universal

Posted Image

The entrance to Halloween Horror Nights!

Posted Image

First stop: Get beer and hot dog in line. Then wolf it down in less than 2 minutes since there's no lines at the houses.

Posted Image

This is what I live for every year!

Posted Image

The atmosphere at HHN is unequalled.

Monday, we spent the day at Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. Tuesday we headed over to EPCOT, to enjoy the atmosphere of the Food and Wine Festival, and hit up Soarin' and Test Track!

Posted Image

Monorail ownz

Posted Image

Test Track is like, the best. ride. evah.

Posted Image

You're about to crash!

Posted Image

"PUSH IT! HARDER!" "YOU GOT IT!"

Posted Image

"Hi I have a terrible moustashe kthx."

Posted Image

I heart Test Track

Posted Image

Then it's on to Mission: Puke your Face Off.

Posted Image

"Make sure you push your button at the right time, otherwise we crash. And die."

Posted Image

Getting hammered at 11am. Awesome.

Interjection: The new film at the Canada Pavilion is awesome.

Posted Image

We had lunch all up in Japan at the new Mitsukoshi.

Posted Image

I got they kids meal.

Posted Image

Diesel!??

Posted Image

I lurve you EPCOT!

Wednesday we headed back to Universal/IOA and got ready for our 2nd night of HHN.

Posted Image

Who knows how much longer this guy will be here, with all the Harry Potter crap coming in.

Posted Image

Dave is about to be devoured unplesantly

Posted Image

Hulk

Posted Image

The new MACK Powered Coaster in Seuss Landing is actually nothing like Thunder Run, it's more like a Monorail with lap bars.

Posted Image

While all the rides were walk ons, Pteradon Flyers still had a 60 minute queue.

Posted Image

2nd night of HHN insanity

Posted Image

Main show at the front of the park

Posted Image

Drunk + ice cream. yesssssssssssssssssss

Posted Image

Totally Awesome, Bill and Ted show, this year hosted by Britney Spears and Dwight Schrute from The Office

Posted Image

Back into IOA on Thursday, we got into a real routine on this trip - Eating 3 ice creams a day, Dave trying to pry me off Fire Dragon, since it was a walk on, I just wanted to sit on it all day...! I love dragons :(

Posted Image

Looking down at Ice from Fire in the first duel

Posted Image

Mmmmmm

Posted Image

Entrance to Dragons

Posted Image

2nd duel - Loops

Posted Image

Hi guys! (and gals, lol)

Posted Image

Hulk from across the lagoon

We did HHN again on Thursday night... Then it was off on Friday evening to Mickey's Not-so-scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom.

Posted Image

Dave went as Doogie Howser...

Posted Image

I'm a (rather scrawny) Riddick from Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick (no one got that the whole night, except for 2 girls as we got off the Monorail on our way back to the car, lol)

Posted Image

Tomorrowland by night

Posted Image

They do fireworks and shizz up on the castle

Finally on Saturday, we enjoyed a few last rides on Dragons and some other stuff at IOA before heading back up to the airport to go home.

Posted Image

Until next year, HHN!

Posted Image

Hope ya liked it. :)

-Iain

Nice!I went to Disney this year for the first time for Gay Days. It was interesting to say the least. I definitely loved test track... I almost didn't get to ride it as I was with a group of people that couldn't get their act together.Drinking around the world was fun as well. I stopped after like 8 countries/drinks because it was like 95* F out, and I was hammered by noon.I can't wait to go back next year. Epcot was definitely the highlight of my trip, park-wise. We also went to the Beach Ball - where they have Typhoon Lagoon open from 8P - 2A, it's a 21 and up outdoor circuit party... it was pouring the rain and 60* F that night, but still a great time.

Iain,Your tour shots and descriptions are always entertaining. Looking forward to your next adventure. The pictures taken look incredible. What kind of camera do you use?

56 minutes to download and worth every minute very well done Iain. Loved every shot. we have to get down there again. keep up the good work on letting us live vicariously through your trips.Karen and Jake :thanx:

Duck, you definitely have a gift for story-telling. I always enjoy your posts about travels, or maintenance (EGR valves and headlights!), minibikes, and more. And, you always perfectly supplement the text with pics; not too many, not too few. Oh, and thanks for keeping the photos of the rollercoasters tame enough for me to not turn kermit-coloured (or should I say "nosedive-coloured"?) :)AlizaP.S. um, what's with the yellow smart in the avatar? is nosedive showing his autumn colours now that the chorophyll's no longer being produced?! Or have I just reading missed a post somewhere, somehow...