Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieParts

Dead Internal Links

69 posts in this topic

_Error 404

Well, there was bound to be a downside to the switch over :) And if you've been brought here, then chances are you've found it.

When you click on an internal link that existed before the switchover (~ Dec 10, 07) that went directly to a particular post (instead of the topic the post was in), it now takes you here. And unfortunately, there's really no way of fixing it on any automated level. Each one has to be fixed manually, and even that is near impossible because there's no direct translation between post ID number on the old site and the post ID number on this one but thankfully, I found a way to do that easily!

Sadly, this effects close to 2000 links! The majority, of course, are in old posts however and hopefully won't cause people too much of a problem.

So... what can we do? Well, in most cases nothing. But if you happen to know where you were trying to go... you can post here (provide both the place the link exists, and the correct place it should be going) and I'll manually fix them as reported. Otherwise... life goes on. as soon as you come here via a dead link, please make note of the LAST number in the address bar of this page. It should look something like:

http://www.clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=12459?p=86939#86939
And I just want you to post the very last number (131999 in the example above). With that number, I can now look up the original post and fix it. There's no longer any need for you to dig up the page the post was supposed to point to or anything like that... just report the number and I'll fix it

Please post the full URL for the post where the link is embedded - I can do the rest - examples below<Speedie>

Cheers!

- Steven

OK.

In the "Index File: How-To Directory of Tutorials" http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=7245, by Duck

the link under "Electronics & ICE" named "How-To: Install OEM smart foglights" is dead and should point to

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;hl=foglights

Is that what you wanted Steven and did I get it right?

It's probably a more important link to fix as the index of How To's will likely be more frequently accessed. I didn't check the rest of the links...I guess I could...or maybe Duck wants to since I presume the index is his baby.

John

Thanks! Yes, that's perfect... please post deadlinks here JUST like John did above and it will get fixed! That one has been done. - Steven

Website wizards.....Just out of curiosity, is it possible to temporarily turn on the ability to edit your own old posts? I for one would be happy to go through my posts and fix any links I have in the messages.Just a thought..... Dang

Another: Club smart Car > Smart Car Discussions > How-To > 450 Smart (pre 2007 model)> How to remove the 12v socket ? last post by Speedie http ://ww w.clubsmartcar.com/forums/viewtop...a45593372#71700 is dead, but I don't even know how to go about finding what it pointed to

Here's another one: ht tp://ww w.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopi...p=101775#101775 Thanks! Lyle :)

Here is another! ht tp://w ww.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopi...p=104243#104243

Guys... what I need is a link to the post that contains the dead link, not the dead link themselves. I can't fix either of those without knowing where they are. Preferably, you'll post the link to the post with the dead link, as well as where the dead link is supposed to go. In some cases, it may take some searching to figure out where exactly it was supposed to go and the admin aren't going to have that kind of time. - Steven

Another: Club smart Car > Smart Car Discussions > How-To > 450 Smart (pre 2007 model)> How to remove the 12v socket ? last post by Speedie htt p://ww w.clubsmartcar.com/forums/viewtop...a45593372#71700 is dead, but I don't even know how to go about finding what it pointed to

In this one, at least you gave me the ability to find the post, but instead of describing how to find it ("Club smart Car > ...") just go to the post you want me to see, and right click the little Post # in the top right of the post and choose Copy Shortcut. Then you can paste it here. In your example, its the little "Post #6". The resulting link is this: http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopi...st&p=164042 And it takes me right to the post so I can see it quickly. It also saves you the time of typing all that out! Neat, huh? :) I have fixed that link... thank you for your the report. - Steven

Website wizards.....Just out of curiosity, is it possible to temporarily turn on the ability to edit your own old posts? I for one would be happy to go through my posts and fix any links I have in the messages.Just a thought..... Dang

Giving everyone the ability to edit posts is dangerous. And in most cases, people probably won't be able to fix the links themselves anyway - in some cases (like the one I fixed above) its not really possible without direct access to the old database.I had to first see what post the link was pointing to originally (71700) and go into the old database manually and look up that post. Then I have to copy the title of the topic it was in... then go to the new database and manually search for the new topic that has the same title (and hope it hasn't been changed), then go back to the post and edit the link with the correct format. In some cases its much easier. So *if* the person knows where the dead link is supposed to be posting, it helps to post it here and makes the job of fixing it a LOT easier, but otherwise just let me know what post contains the dead link and I'll fix it when there is time.If you have a lot Dan, I can turn it on for you to fix your own... I think. - Steven

I really need this one! Club smart Car Smart Car Discussions How-To 450 Smart (pre 2007 model) How to fix the oil leak from the turbo oil return tube The link mentioned in the post was: h ttp://ww w.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopi...p=132975#132975

Please post a link here to the posts in question folks. Its a lot easier than giving me directions to it... easier for you too (less typing).

I managed to find the one you're talking about. Here is the link: http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=9274 next time, please post that.

I will fix it as soon as I can.

- Steven

Cool! I found a faster way to fix these! not sure how I missed that before. I'm going to post it here in case I forget, but right now nobody can actually do it but me. So really, below is just a "note to self".

- Steven

in phpmyadmin query posts where pid= post id shown at end of dead link. Copy the topic_id value from there and fix the link such that:http://www.clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=12459?p=[post id]#[post id]becomeshttp://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=[topic id]&view=findpost&p=[post id]Seems obvious to me now.  Before I was doing searches for posts containing text.  Now I wonder if there's some way I can automate this and fix them all in one go.

Guys... I need a link to the page that contains the dead link... not the dead link itself. Actually, both help...if the page contains lots of links. The links you posted just point back here.

Although, I *CAN* manage to fix them with what you've posted... its just a lot more work. Captain No Beard's is fixed... I should have Razor's fixed shortly (I'll post again if I *can't* find it - otherwise assume it got done) - Steven

Actually, ignore my above two posts... I've figured out yet another "better way" of doing this. I'm changing the very first post of this topic... read it for instructions on how to post dead links. Its even simpler. Basically, exactly what the last two posters did that I said not to do :) - Steven