Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieParts

Moderators!

28 posts in this topic

Anyone that is already a moderator is going to be wondering why they aren't a moderator!Well, its simple... right now, we don't have any! No, this isn't the new plan and no its not an oversight - I just haven't completed the proper permissions setup but I will get to it ASAP!Now, we are going to need a LOT of help over the next short while because there's a lot of new expectations and changes with the forum setup. A lot of sections have to be severely cleaned out. I'm hoping new blood will set up and volunteer. Similarly though, I don't want the old guard to feel obligated to take on the new tasks if they don't have the time for the extra load (it will calm down though after our cleanup). So, to that end... nobody is a moderator by default.If you want to resume (or start) moderator duties, please just post here with the section(s) you are interested in and I will make it happen ASAP.If you have any questions about what you'll be doing, in general or in a particular section, again just post here and I'll clarify as soon as I can.Perhaps I should have sorted out the Moderator situation before re-opening the site - time will tell - but I didn't want to hold off the relaunch longer than I had to and things already took longer than I had hoped.Bear with me folks! This has been a ton of work for me and I'm pretty sleep deprived right now :) With your help though, this will all come together. - Steven

I am volunteering my name to moderate the enviro-mileage and auto-talk forums, and also request ability to post articles.

Done, done and done.As for the articles... its a new system obviously, and I want it to be organized right from the start! So work with me on this please, and discuss with me (PM is fine) with what you expect to put there and don't mind if I edit them while we try to figure out a consistent format. Feel free to give it a "test" run, especially now that nobody is really going to be using it.I don't think you can create categories - so if you need a new category, ask me. - Stevenps. If anyone doesn't know what we're talking about, click the Articles link at the top right menu!

Since I live in NJ, work in NY and travel to PA, I would like to be a Mid-Atlantic Moderator under the USA forum.Thanks,Regina

Edited by rrrucke

Thanks Regina!I should have mentioned this earlier... I'm not setting up ANY regional moderators at this time. There is a TON of work that needs to get done in there, and I haven't quite figured out the best way to do it. So thank you for posting and I'll let you know when we're ready to move forward with the regional clean up. Let me know if there's any non-regional sections you would like to moderate like you did before.As a headsup for any regional moderators we setup later: Regional threads are pretty much going to be cleaned out (especially the USA section) so that no non-region-specific topics reside in there. They are to be used ONLY for region-specific topics, and 99% of the time that means "event organization". This is not how they've been used in the past, which is why we have a lot of work ahead of us. The bulk of your work will be scouring through and moving topics to more appropriate places. - Steven

Thanks for the reply. So...hmmm....the regional forums are for event issues only. That sounds like a lot of time spent scouring for future moderators. Is that necessary or the best solution? If I have issues that are specific to my state or Mid-Atlantic region, why is it necessary to post elsewhere? For instance, my recent dealership post is a NJ issue (from my viewpoint). Where should I have posted that topic instead of Mid-Atlantic??? One inquiring mind would like to know.Thanks,Regina

Regional threads are pretty much going to be cleaned out (especially the USA section) so that no non-region-specific topics reside in there. They are to be used ONLY for region-specific topics, and 99% of the time that means "event organization". This is not how they've been used in the past, which is why we have a lot of work ahead of us. The bulk of your work will be scouring through and moving topics to more appropriate places.

Steven, might I suggest a rethink on this one.Although, yes, I agree, the USA section should get a major fix, I doubt there is much benefit to sifting through the Canadian sections. I'd leave whatever is there, there.The USA section, as you note, needs an overhaul, cause it has generic and general 450 and 451 stuff that would have gone elsewhere. Some of it was related to the 450 gassers from G&K - and we didn't bat much of an eye at that... but now with Canada and the USA getting the SAME car/same engine, it does need to merge together - there are a tonne of topics on the 451, and what remains should be regional, like Canada (IMO) always was. There will always be a degree of chatter and general discussion in the regionals... and again, IMO, if the Moderator is doing their work, they should move it and leave a shadow as required.As a starting point, where would a topic like 'USA prices for the 451 announced' actually go? Edited by smartzuuk

I said 99% :)

Its possible that non-event topics belong there... but I seriously spent a couple hours a few weeks ago digging through the topics in the old USA forum and I was down to the 95th post before I found a borderline one that belonged!

The problem is that people hide in there and it does nobody any good. Its about the content, not the author. Just because you are from NJ doesn't mean every post you make or every post about your car belongs in the NJ forum, right? I bet if you thought about it, it would be difficult to come up with many real-world examples of posts that belong in a regional thread that aren't about an event of some sort or another.

What "belongs"? To me, the criteria is simple. If the topic is of interest to people ONLY in that region, then it goes in that regional thread and nowhere else. If it is of interest to people regardless of region, then it belongs elsewhere.

"My car in NJ broke down" is not region specific (General Discussions, or Vehicle Maintenance)

"I'm in NJ and want to change my oil" is not region specific (Vehicle Maintenance)

"Hi everyone, I'm from NJ and I got a smart" is not region specific (Introductions)

"Hey, check out my NJ car's paint job" is not region specific (Mods and Performance)

"I'm looking to sell my part and I'm in NJ" is not region specific (Classified)

"I'm looking to sell my part and I'm in NJ and for some strange reason I absolutely won't ship anywhere and it must be a local deal because I fear the post office"... ok, that's region specific and isn't event-related.

Give me some examples and I can probably show you how they don't belong there. Of course, there are exceptions. Bring it on!

Its for the benefit of both the person posting (exposure to a larger audience) but also (and mostly) for the community as a whole that shouldn't have to dig through 100 regional threads to find good quality content that should be out and discussed in the regular forums.

It will be an expectation that our membership adheres to the regional guidelines and that the moderators help them out in that regard. It was discussed at length with the US regional Director and I think we've come up with the best solution for this. But by all means, if you have a specific suggestion I want to hear it.

- Steven

I doubt there is much benefit to sifting through the Canadian sections. I'd leave whatever is there, there.[...]As a starting point, where would a topic like 'USA prices for the 451 announced' actually go?

The Canadian sections are much less problematic, but go take a good look... its because the vast majority of the posts in those sections are event related, one way or another. But the ones that aren't - do NOT belong in there. Most of it belongs in Community Chatter and I think it should go there. Even off-topic stuff... there's no reason for it to be regionalized.More though, we have a bigger plan relating to the events calendar, and it hinges on the regional sections being really event-only for it to work well.As for your example... that topic, based on title alone, goes in General discussions as it is of interest to all smarties. If it is a real good breakdown, then it belongs in Buyer's Guide (the new Buyer's Guide - the one that is about helping people make their purchase decision... not the old one, which was about... well... nobody knows). Its not really region-specific information. Consider, for example, that the bulk of the responses to questions about US pricing come from Canadians! It should only go in the US section if ONLY US readers are going to want to read it (substitute "US" for any given region we're talking about) - Steven

I would like to help out with the "General vehicle operation and maintenance " Area if that's ok. If that's a problem, I'll help in "Member Classifieds." OR Both areas if that helps.MN :D

Edited by midget ninja

Both helps! It will be done! Don't try to do too much at first please, until we get settled and have a moderator meeting (This applies to all moderators, but especially those that were not moderators before the changeover).Welcome aboard and thank you for your time. - Steven

I'm relatively new to the site, but I would like to volunteer for moderator duties. I've been a board Admin/moderator on several other car messageboards I have belonged to in the past. I'm open for anything that is needed, but I'll especially volunteer for anything 451 related... not that I have anything against the 450s, I'm just getting a 451 :)Dave

Well, as the 451 start rolling out, I imagine this whole site will be primarily 451 related. So you tell me what section(s) interest you the most. General Discussions? - Steven

General would be fine. I am on the site quite frequently throughout the day (one might say I am obsessed :) ), so it would not be hard to keep up with. I think it would be a good fit.

I will volunteer to continue with the Marmots...Or BC as a whole depending on how the moderatorship is going to be divvied up there. I will also help out wherever else there is a shortage just tell me! even if its "temporary" in another section just to help sort posts out into sub groups or whatever.Sean

I will volunteer to help out with the "Modification and Performance" and/or How To sections. I can also assist with the task of moving posts from the old "451" section into their appropriate areas.

Thank you MD, Taig and Sean!MD - You're now in GD! Taig - You're now in Mods, How-to, and the 451 forum. Most of your work will be in the latter until that gets sorted out.Sean - Since you're experienced.. and, well... since you said "wherever"... I've also put you in the 451 forum.I'd like to get that cleaned up ASAP. The two of you should work out some system to go through it quickly without getting in each other's way.All three, PLEASE BE CAREFUL and ask if you are unsure. Yes, you have to use your judgement, but where you know it not to agree with my judgement - please use mine :)All of you should make use of the Moderator's Lounge (which should now be visible to you) to ask any questions and get direction on things. But if you feel you have a handle on what is being asked of you, go to it!Thanks again for your time!

Both helps! It will be done! Don't try to do too much at first please, until we get settled and have a moderator meeting (This applies to all moderators, but especially those that were not moderators before the changeover).Welcome aboard and thank you for your time. - Steven

Not a problem, and glad to be of help to ya.

If you need someone to moderate in the vehicle tracking + distribution forum (the one I seem to practically monopolise with my posts), and only if no-one else is interested, I would gladly take that one on.

All three, PLEASE BE CAREFUL and ask if you are unsure. Yes, you have to use your judgement, but where you know it not to agree with my judgement - please use mine :)All of you should make use of the Moderator's Lounge (which should now be visible to you) to ask any questions and get direction on things. But if you feel you have a handle on what is being asked of you, go to it!Thanks again for your time!

Thank you for the honor :)

I'd continue with Buy, Sell, Trade and Self-Promotion to split them into the sub-fora, and until a replacement is found.

Done! I'm sure the vast majority will go into the Member Classifieds and Look What I found sections.It'll take a few minutes - if you need to discuss anything, start a topic in the Moderator's Lounge. - Steven

I will volunteer to moderate the Atlantic Canada section. I know it is not very busy but, every little bit helps out.