Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cbjake

My First Flat

11 posts in this topic

I was disappointed to find my right rear brand new snow tire flat this morning at the gym. I had to use the Kit to seal and inflate it, and while it worked fine and the tire is still up tonight, I have some questions.If there is an existing thread on this, please point me there - I could not find one.Is this new tire toast? Or will a (Smart) tire shop fix it? I'm worried about the sealant.Can I drive on the sealed tire? Just to the shop or .... for a while? Like the rest of the winter? :D It was about minus 5 C this morning and pretty chilly doing the tire fix, cannot imagine it at minus 20!! Still, it worked and I got the car home.

After the sealant is put in the tire, the tire can not be patched/fixed.Meaning, you'll have to get a replacement for it.As far as driving on it, it's only recommended until the next service station or within, if I remember correctly, 100 kilometers.

The tire goop that comes with your smart car is a temporary patch only. Not only that, but it damages the inner composition of the tire; so you just use it to seal the puncture roadside and then drive to your nearest tire repair shop, throw out the damaged tire, and buy a new one. Not so smart, eh?

For future reference, you can

1. carry a spare tire

2. use tire puncture-proofing like Ride-On

3. carry a small gum-thread repair kit

or

4. all of the above

Bil B)

Ouch! really? Where does it say the tire is toast? I never knew, good thing I never got a flat. So I guess it's better just to call CAA and get it towed (on a flatbed, of course).Dunno about carrying a spare. Front, or rear? Now that I have 4 spanking new snow tires from Eddie I have both, but not sure about the space to carry them, I suspect it would use up ALL the space in the back, what little there is.

:D I have some good news (mostly).I called Hyatt here in Calgary and they readily accepted my appointment for a fix of my flat, noting the use of the 'stuff' in the breakdown kit. I took the tire in on the steelie rim and they fixed it without comment or complaint, plugged, re installed on the rim, for $22. I am thinking this is ok.I wanted to replace the tire sealant goop stuff and ...WOW: its pricey!! $43 for the bottle! But ... it worked, it got me home, it saved that day, I might need it again, so ... I got it.Funny story. It is obviously pretty unusual to just bring a tire/wheel into the MB dealer. They spent a lot of time trying to find my car when I went in to pick up my tire, and seemed kind of concerned when my 'car' did not seem to be there! :lol: Bottom line: the expensive Smart tire sealant works, it does not ruin the tire, I am real happy to be driving my Smart again tomorrow!

Dunno about carrying a spare. Front, or rear? Now that I have 4 spanking new snow tires from Eddie I have both, but not sure about the space to carry them, I suspect it would use up ALL the space in the back, what little there is.

One of your off-season front wheels will fit nicely behind the seat. You wil still have room for the entire luggage area, even leaving the luggage cover in place.B)

Bottom line: the expensive Smart tire sealant works, it does not ruin the tire, I am real happy to be driving my Smart again tomorrow!

Yep; it works pretty much as advertised. And... nope; it will ruin the tire - accelerate the aging of the tire's inner compound. The fact that the chemical damage is not immediately apparent notwithstanding, the service life of that tire has been genuinely compromised, my friend. That fix-a-flat compound is also corrosive and will eat away at your steel or alloy wheels too, over time.

Bil B)

The tire goop that comes with your smart car is a temporary patch only. Not only that, but it damages the inner composition of the tire; so you just use it to seal the puncture roadside and then drive to your nearest tire repair shop, throw out the damaged tire, and buy a new one. Not so smart, eh?

Based on what I learned when we discovered that our smart was delivered with a punctured tire that was filled with sealant, I would ditch that tire and buy a brand new one ASAP.

Looks like there actually is a "smart" tire in development -- we should have them on our smart cars!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22314433/wid/11915829?gt1=10737

Edited by FreepJam

Dunno about carrying a spare.

I never considered carrying a spare in the car... until this happened. :blink:

Posted Image

No tire sealant in the world could have helped me!

I never considered carrying a spare in the car... until this happened. :blink: No tire sealant in the world could have helped me!

YOW! How long do you reckon you were driving on the flat tire before it came apart like that? It looks like a front tire... is it front or rear?Hope you're all safe and sound after what appears to have been a potential catastrophe...B)

YOW! How long do you reckon you were driving on the flat tire before it came apart like that? It looks like a front tire... is it front or rear?

After the huge "BLAM", I had to drive for about 200 meters before I could pull off the road safely. It was a rear tire, and thankfully it was the only thing that suffered any damage... except for my nerves. I know it could have been a lot worse. :unsure: