Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Razorback

Nasr

29 posts in this topic

Just a potential idea.NAsR: North America smart RallySince smart is coming to the USA I have been kicking around the idea of having a rally of smart owners. Where we could all meet and check out the latest modifications and just general camaraderie. We could have things like a smart cruise, smart show-n-shine with trophies, cookout, dinner, games and other ideas over a 2 or 3 day period. We could have raffles for a worthwhile charity and raise monies for CsC to become more of a presence to parts suppliers. If the rallies were to become big enuff get some vendor sponsorship in coming offering wares and perhaps even smart to come and supply next generation demos, demo rides for people who may come by or smart owners to get an opportunity to demo a next-gen smart. I have a lot of ideas so if you think this would have a possibility of becoming a reality post you opinion here and perhaps we could get a group of planners to come up with something for 2008 or 2009.Not to exclude any of our other smart brethren across the water perhaps it should be named something to encompass ALL smart owners worldwide?What do you think?

Edited by Razorback

Probably too big as it is, so I wouldn't worry about other continents for now :) They'd still be welcome to join regardless of the name.Its a great idea. "great" has multiple meanings there, and I think they all apply, including "Great Big". How such an event would ever be organized, and more importantly, executed is virtually unthinkable in my head. But awesome if it could.To beat SoonToBeSmart to the punch... I seriously think if it ever did go, that an entry fee be used and that a portion of that go to buying carbon credits to offset the extra non-essential resources used to attend such an event on such a large scale. That would do wonders for awareness too if we're willing to put our money where our collective mouths are.I'd love to see something like this get off the ground. it just might be too heavy though :) - Steven

Oh no... It wouldn't be BIG at first but maybe only 10-30 smart owners show up first. Nothing BIG on a first time scale. I am just thinking BIG PICTURE

perhaps we can co-ordinate it with the Hummer gathering then our presence might be the offset.....I think its a great idea and I am sure we will see regional, local and continental gatherings

post-1049-1197667611_thumb.jpg

You know... Harley-Davidson has an official club called HOGS and once-a-year they have a rally at Sturgis, SD.It would be interesting if something similar happens with Smart. People once-a-year get together by driving their Smart cars to a central meeting place to celebrate. :D -Tom L.

How about Evel Knievel's hometown? Butte Montana! Then we can try to jump the Snake River Canyon in a smart ;) I loved the 1971 movie about him....been a fan ever since.

An annual smart car rally would be welcome by most owners, I'm sure. The rally could be modelled after many existing rallies out there; Wing Ding for example. I own a Honda Goldwing (motorcycle) and a rally is held each year in a different location (Wing Ding). On average, 5000 Goldwings show up from all over North America for the 4-day event. The big draw is the vendor area where almost all of the third-party vendors display and sell their wares. Anything and everything for a Goldwing is available including installed mods and airbrushing. They have guided tour rides, show and shine, banquet night, and various other activities to keep everyone occupied for 4 days.I can see something similar being done for us smarties but it does take a lot of organization.

Edited by Tom P.

I think probably the first get together should be at or nearby Michigan's smart headquarters. They would love it! Maybe sometime in 8/08 or 9/08. Thanks, Regina

I don't see any reason why one couldn't happen as early as the spring! By then lots of American's will have their smarts...I'm so there!-Iain

This sounds like a great idea, but all of North America?? Last Victoria Day weekend (3rd weekend in May), a group of 9 smarts from various parts of ON & QC took a trip to Stowe, VT and stayed there for 2 nights. We took various local tours and also had group shopping tours. We were joined for 1 night/day by a smart owner from Minnesota, who was in Hudson, NY on business.

I can see having regional meets for 2,3,4 or more nights, but most smart owners are working class people who can't afford that much time off. It's not a problem for me, because I've been retired for 11 years. A friend of mine in town (the first here to own a smart) has a Harley and goes to Sturgis, SD every year. Perhaps I can pick his brain about the logistics of putting on such a big event. I also don't like driving long distances or at night, but I can camp in my toy-hauler trailer (with smart on board) or in a tent (I do wilderness canoe camping alone).

Looks like there are many people who would support this idea. I think that the next logical step would be to create a planning committee of say 3-5 people to preplan date, location and duration of NAsR. I'll volunteer myself and should anyone else wish to volunteer then feel free to do so. There would be several things to discuss and plan so as decisions are made they will be published here in this thread or another thread more appropriately titled. Once we have the planning committee established we can say that a NAsR is a sure thing and will happen.

This is a great idea. I hope someone more computer agile than me runs with this idea. It's gonna take a lot of planning. Yes an entry fee with in reason is a good idea. it could off set some club expenses too.. Put us down as definitely coming where ever it is and bringing our club shirts and hats for sale too.We are planning a smart barbecue weekend next fall, at our place. But we are in Ontario. a more central location in the spring would be nice for every one. Or maybe a travelling one each year in a different area. Just a thought.Keep this idea rolling.Karen

It is indeed a great idea. It had been mentioned briefly a few times here before U.S. availability was certain. Now it can happen!The Harley event is huge. VW just had a huge meet in Europe this year. They've had some pretty big gatherings of smarts in Britain. And we've actually had some decent sized events in Canada: the 2007 Niagara Spring Winery Tour had 137 cars (see right photo), and the 2006 Cross-Canada Relay Fundraiser Finale had 106 cars (left photo).Having helped organize the 2006 Fundraiser Finale, I can assure you that there is much time and effort involved----all well worth it, especially when a charity is involved. I think a worthy theme for a North American event would be something of an environmental nature, and using carbon offsets for the driving involved. I also think alternating each year between the West coast and East would get more people involved. I see something like this attracting 1000 smarts within 5 years. Seriously.

post-56-1197914295_thumb.jpg

post-56-1197914332.txt

Edited by deezle

Waiting for at least 3 more people to volunteer for the planning committee to get this project off the ground. Will wait until Jan 01, 2008 for volunteers otherwise I suppose any organized events will be localized events planned by local individuals. I could possibly do this on my own but would like at least two Canadian representatives and one more USA representatives to support the majority of smart drivers in North America.I will update this thread as necessary.

Razorback,I would be interested in volunteering but I think we need at least a few more US and Cdn members to help. The more the merrier!Regina:)

Many owner groups have a national meeting... I know Mini, Corvette, etc. do. No reason why a smart even can't be national.

FINAL REQUEST

Waiting for at least 3 more people to volunteer for the planning committee to get this project off the ground. Will wait until Mar 01, 2008 for volunteers otherwise I suppose any organized events will be localized events planned by local individuals. I could possibly do this on my own but would like at least two Canadian representatives and one more USA representatives to support the majority of smart drivers in North America.