Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianC

451 Actual Realistic Mileage, Anyone?

187 posts in this topic

My first fill-up produced just shy of 38 MPG. I discount that figure because I don't know how full the tank was from the dealership.Second fill-up today was 39.5 MPG and the mix of city/highway (40/60)and solo/passenger (60/40) were roughly the same as the first fill-up.Both fill-ups at COSTCO. Auto mode almost exclusively. Not a lead-foot but definitely not a hyper-miler.

I'd call that totally acceptable mileage for winter driving. That should improve by about 5 MPG in the summer I'd guess. Do you have or will you be getting a Scangauge? When we get our smart I'll get the newer model. Using the first generation model now.

Fill-up #3 yielded 41.9 MPG. COSTCO premium gas. Heavily biased toward highway driving and 90% solo (but I weigh enough for 2). Still using Automatic mode exclusively and definitely not babying it. Total miles just under 900 from new.I definitely need cruise control. I keep finding myself at 70 MPH+. I don't need a speeding ticket.

Edited by dancote

My fill-up #3 yielded 39 MPG (32 MPG U.S.) 100% city driving in sub-zero temps. So it is improving. Just over 1000 km. on the odom.

Fill-up #4 = 40.85 MPG (U.S.). Slightly less than my last fill but I attribute that to my increasingly heavy right foot.

Edited by dancote

We've only had our new 2008 smart for a couple of weeks, and now have 600 miles on it. Did my second tank fillup today, and first where I knew how it had been filled previously. Squeezed in as much as I could both times. This last tank I did lots of freeway driving at 60 MPH and some State highways at around 50 MPH. 340 miles, 6.417 gallons. 52.98 MPG! 4.44 L/100KM Better than I thought I'd get. I don't anticipate getting that all the time, but it looks like mid 40s should be regularly attainable.

That's spectacular!My last fill gave 3.62 L/100 km (65 US). But my car is slow....

Edited by Mike T

That's spectacular!My last fill gave 3.62 L/100 km (65 US). But my car is slow....

Thanks. For a gasser is pretty darn good. I won't drive like that all the time, but it's nice to know it's possible. If a dieser were available here, I'd probably would have bought it instead.

Thanks. For a gasser is pretty darn good. I won't drive like that all the time, but it's nice to know it's possible. If a dieser were available here, I'd probably would have bought it instead.

Mike has an oil burner.But your 4.44L/100km is pretty darn good too!

It just keeps getting better.Our smart now has 1,200 miles on the clock and yesterday's fill-up #5 yielded 43.88 MPG (5.36 l/100km).That's the best so far but it's been over 40 MPG since the 3rd fill-up.I doubt I'll ever catch Dave777 though.

Edited by dancote

My best mileage to date was today; and it just so happens that my odometer just surpassed 10,000 kms this weekend. A highway jaunt from Winnipeg to Portage la Prairie and back doing 110kph, + about an additional 85 kms in the city, yielded 5.38L/100 kms (or 52.47 mpg imperial).PS. I'm never light on the pedal! I never thought we'd get this type of mileage 'cause both my wife & I are pretty speedy & aggresive drivers.

Edited by denisjolicoeur

43.5 mpg driving from alexandria va to norfolk in the new 451...all highway 55-65mph

Edited by SCHMART

That's 5.4 L/100 km... hell I'm at 5.6 L/100 km for this tank on my cdi, so you're already proving you can beat the Diesel without really trying ;)-Iain

Wooo Hooo Gas Milage is getting better and better with every fill...This last tank I did 525.3 Km on 28.3.9 litres and I've been a lead foot....Go Spikey... :cheer: Go Spikey... :cheer: Go Spikey... :cheer:

That's 5.3 L/100 km, amazing!I ran a tank through the loaner 451 I had, and with a heavy foot, I was at 6.5 L/100 km.-Iain

The Service Manager suggested using shell V-Power gas, and it seems to have made an improvement. I was considering using an ethenol blend gas to see if the higher octaine would help, but he said to wait until I had about 5000 miles on the car first. If it keeps going like this then I'll stick with the shell gas. :lol:

E10 fuel will *lower* mileage. The high octane boosts hp but on a smart, it's probably 1 or 2hp at the most.Why the reduced mileage? cause you're burning 90% of your tank of fuel, not all of it. You're going the distance of 90% of the tank yet you're pumping the equivalent of 100%. It is cleaner burning though.

E doesn't = 0, but roughly 6 I thinkSo you should go 96% as far running E10

Why the reduced mileage? cause you're burning 90% of your tank of fuel, not all of it. You're going the distance of 90% of the tank yet you're pumping the equivalent of 100%. It is cleaner burning though.

:confused:

Ok, I'm a little confused by this. Help me to understand.

Are you saying:

[*]Because I'm only pumping in 28.393 litres of gas and the tank size is 33 litres, is this why your are saying that I'm burning 90% of my tank.

Or

[*] Is it related to E10 gas, that it will reduce my milage. In other words I can go farther on a tank of gas than I can on a tank of E10?

# 2 - 100 litres of 90% gas + 10% Ethanol will take you as far as 96 litres of 100% gas. There is less energy available in the ethanol. We will not get into the costs associated with manufacturing that 10% ethanol, as it has been discussed in depth (for and against) elsewhere.MG

Yeah Valgard's got that right. E10 is like you're only pumping in 90% of your tank with fuel. The ethanol is dead weight.