Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianC

451 Actual Realistic Mileage, Anyone?

187 posts in this topic

Hate to say it, but I was getting 4.9 liters/100k in my old 95 geo metro (same as Suzuki Swift) with its similar sized 3cyl 1000cc engine. Didn't run hot either, and was terrifically dependable. Seems like the new 451 isn't doing significantly better with 2 fewer seats, less car, and 13 years of new technology to play with. And a lot higher price tag. The 451 sure seems like a great DD for urban areas, but regarding fuel economy I'd expect better.

Hate to say it, but I was getting 4.9 liters/100k in my old 95 geo metro (same as Suzuki Swift) with its similar sized 3cyl 1000cc engine. Didn't run hot either, and was terrifically dependable. Seems like the new 451 isn't doing significantly better with 2 fewer seats, less car, and 13 years of new technology to play with. And a lot higher price tag. The 451 sure seems like a great DD for urban areas, but regarding fuel economy I'd expect better.

Yes, but I would venture to say that your Suzuki wasn't as clean. Also, which one would you prefer to get creamed in?

I can also say I get 4.3L/100km in my Prius on average in the summer (record tank is 3.9L/100km). (My lifetime is shown below)

But the smart will actually be our gas guzzler (if I end up getting one) but it is what it is and a smart is no Geo Metro. 2 people in a smart will be more comfortable than 2 people in a Metro.

If you would like to estimate your 2008 smart 451 milage and compare it to your current commuter car, the EPA has a nice estimator at:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

choose "compare side-by-side" in the box in the left corner

Model Year: 2008

Select Make: Mercedes-Benz

CARS: smart fortwo (pick convertible or coupe). This will bring up the EPA estimates for the smart fortwo based on the new 2008 formula based on a default value of 15,000 miles per year and a 55/45% ratio of city/hwy driving.

Choose "use your gas milage & annual prices" it brungs up the defaults, but you can change it your commute including the gas price in your area. Click: [Personalize] to un the calculation.

Note: As an option after selecting CARS for the default, you can choose "switch to metric" in support of the Canadian smart fans.

You can then select: "compare side-by-side" in the upper-right corner and see if your current commuter is available for comparison. For example I compared the smart fortwo coupe to my current 2004 Mazda RX-8 based on 20,000 miles per year, 35/65% - city/hwy:

2008 smart fortwo coupe

2008 EPA Combined: 38

Energy Impact Score: 12.0 barrels

Carbon Footprint: 6.5 tons CO2

2004 Mazda RX-8

2008 EPA Combined: 20

Energy Impact Score: 22.8 barrels

Carbon Footprint: 12.2

When I take delivery of my smart fortwo later this year it should cut my commuting costs in half and reduce my carbon footprint (the balance I can offset by purchasing more carbon offsets at http://www.carbonfund.org/ for a guilt free commute).

Have fun :D

hey, mainefortwo, thanks for this link. my results show that i save quite a bit, even though i upgrade to premium fuel....i continue to remain in awe of this fantastic vehicle.

That's a great link!! I was able to customize it with my current vehicle and current fuel prices to see how much I will actually save.

I got a bright yellow 451 Pure for my wife on Christmas eve. So far we have 2990 km on it. Mileage is dissappointing in winter weather.Last 3 tanks - 29 litres - 441 Km - 6.5 litres / 100km28.3 litres - 401 Km - 7.1 litres / 100km29.3 litres - 501 Km - 5.86 litres / 100kmAll had 70 % highway miles averaging 110 to 120 km.

Using the US fuel economy calculator brings up an intersting anomaly - US fuel mileage estimates are lower than Canada's.The fueleconomy.gov site gives the fortwo a rating of 7.1 city and 5.7 highway. On the National Resources Canada site it is 5.9 city and 4.8 highway.I don't know how the two organizations calculate but that's quite a difference. If I go by the US figures I am an average driver but if I believe the Canadian numbers I can (and should) do better.Had the same problem when I had my 450. While Mike T was getting 2.9 all day long, all I could do was 5.0...the shame of it all. Maybe I was driving like an American all along :rolleyes: It will be interesting, with the much larger numbers of US owners, to see which country reflects real world driving. pedro

The US EPA recently revised their estimates downward, which has the effect of making everyone an "achiever", a sort of Bell curve for the masses. The USA and CDN versions if the cars are mechanically identical. In europe, most people are averaging in the mid-6s in their 71 HP 451s. The turbos are only very slightly worse (which makes me want a Brabus even more).

So I have the Yankees to thank for being an 'achiever'.....sorta makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over :-)Isn't the gearing for 5th higher on the US 451's? pedro

According to the "technical specifications" page on the smartusa web site, the US model 451 has a 5'th gear ratio of (0.707), I do not know what the ratio is on the Canadian 451?I'm glad smart enthusiasts have enjoyed the EPA milage comparator link. As has been pointed out above, the 2008 estimates are more conservative, but it is a useful tool for comparing your current daily driver to the smart fortwo. I am looking forward to cutting my commuter fuel costs in half! :)

Checked the Canadian smart site and there is no technical specification section.My owner's handbook does not give the igear ratio numbers either.Anybody know what it is?pedro

I've had my smart 451 for about two weeks now and filled it up twice. Today I took a 189 mile highway drive and I got 43.5MPG (5.4l/100km), my tank was just around town going to work, about 1/3 highway 1/3 around town and got 36mph (6.5l/100km)

Yesterday Vancouver to Whistler, wet roads, some snow, rain and wind. Some passed me but most did not. Winter tires, windy road and hwy speeds. 5.7 ltr. per 100 km. seems fine to me! Car has 1400 km. on it. Ran a little hot out of the box, but much better now. In my opinion it is a little premature to get too exited about milage at this early stage.I am still learning to drive the thing! Does anybody else sit at stops and foolishly try to shift up [droping it into what used to be first] just as you pull away?Peter

After two tanks of gas (91 AKI at Costco) I'm getting 37 MPG. That's US gallons, you can convert yourself to l/100 km. Passion coupe, mixed city, freeway driving, 50/50 one or two passengers.

So I have the Yankees to thank for being an 'achiever'.....sorta makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over :-)Isn't the gearing for 5th higher on the US 451's? pedro

Hi, yeah the 451 overseas (usa/ca) has a shorter 1st gear and a longer 5th gear. How many rpm does your smart have, when driving 100 and 120 km/h?The Europe version: 100 km/h 3100 rpm and 120 3500 rpm. In 1st gear the EU version can drive max 55 km/h, the US version around 50 km/h?I'm curious!

Hi, yeah the 451 overseas (usa/ca) has a shorter 1st gear and a longer 5th gear. How many rpm does your smart have, when driving 100 and 120 km/h?The Europe version: 100 km/h 3100 rpm and 120 3500 rpm. In 1st gear the EU version can drive max 55 km/h, the US version around 50 km/h?I'm curious!

On my test drive, I recall it was under 3,000rpm at 100km/h for sure. I made note of that because someone said it was 3,000ish at 100km/h and I thought that was a little high. Not that 2,800 or 2,900 isn't high but at least it's lower than 3,100.

On my first fill-up, I got 37.9 MPG (6.2l/100km) in a mix of 50/50 City/Highway miles. I don't know how accurate that was because I have no way of knowing how full the tank was from the dealer. Can't update the MPG yet because I haven't re-filled. But on my way home today the last fuel quantity block disappeared and the little gas pump started to flash at 314 miles. At that point, the trip odometer stopped displaying mileage and showed .8 gallons remaining. Now that's cool! :rolleyes:

My first fill-up produced just shy of 38 MPG. I discount that figure because I don't know how full the tank was from the dealership.Second fill-up today was 39.5 MPG and the mix of city/highway (40/60)and solo/passenger (60/40) were roughly the same as the first fill-up.Both fill-ups at COSTCO. Auto mode almost exclusively. Not a lead-foot but definitely not a hyper-miler.

About 5.9 L/100 km, that's the Transport Canada "City" rating. Pretty decent.