Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

Cafepress

50 posts in this topic

We need the Board of Directors to authorize the Cafepress accessories website.

http://www.cafepress.com/clubsmartcar

I created and will manage the site. rrucke has agreed to assist with formatting the logo for use on the products.

Any revenues will be forwarded to Clubsmartcar.

We await the pleasure of the BoD to reactivate and promote the site.

Bil B)

We need the Board of Directors to authorize the Cafepress accessories website.

http://www.cafepress.com/clubsmartcar

I created and will manage the site. rrucke has agreed to assist with formatting the logo for use on the products.

Any revenues will be forwarded to Clubsmartcar.

We await the pleasure of the BoD to reactivate and promote the site.

Bil B)

The problem is where the money goes, as always. Making it out to "the club" (in any form) won't work. That's the holdup. - Steven

We need the Board of Directors to authorize the Cafepress accessories website.http://www.cafepress.com/clubsmartcarI created and will manage the site. rrucke has agreed to assist with formatting the logo for use on the products.Any revenues will be forwarded to Clubsmartcar.We await the pleasure of the BoD to reactivate and promote the site.Bil B)

Bil... :) you know better than to double-post. :) As I said in the other one, the hold-up is figuring out where the money goes. Saying "forwarded to Clubsmartcar" doesn't do us any good if nobody can cash it... it'll just be a pretty piece of paper :) - Steven

I agree it can go to the treasurer inoffice..he is in a position of trust. The BOD can appoint a Storekeeper.

Edited by SCHMART

So, does the company do all of the work and the club just gets a small percentage of sales? Are the prices Canadian? Do they ship from Canada? Shoudl we add the ".com" to the end of the name? Just a few questions.

company does all the work and whatever we decide to price over the cost, the club gets...so if they say the teddy bear is 11.99 and we decide teddy bear is priced at 18.99 then CSC gets 7 dollars toward the monthly commision check

The problem is where the money goes, as always. Making it out to "the club" (in any form) won't work. That's the holdup.- Steven

then the BOD needs to decide to set up a business and get a checking account until a not for profit corp can happen. Edited by SCHMART

So, are the items shipped from the States or Canada? Will they be US prices? I am assuming that they will be US prices since eventually, there will be more than US smarts than Canadian smarts.

that's correct, the Canadians will enjoy low prices with the current dollar

Edited by SCHMART

I just hope this great idea doesn't just get talked to death like so many other topics/ideas. I know we must be prudent and careful but let's get this party started asap. Not counting Bil's initial idea...I'm going to watch how long we hash this out. Hopefully we spend more days counting funds then counting posts. Sorry to be pushy on this subject but let's be more about it then talk about it. Ok...I'm off the soap box.Steve can we create a PayPal account for CsC??Just my two cents...Regina

Edited by rrrucke

my sentiments exactly. so what if it starts off as a for profit business...if we need to pay tax that means we collected money... if we don't want money we can have no markup...but the products will be available to members at cost....

Edited by SCHMART

Heck, I already have a little over $100 waiting to forward to the Club once there is a way to send it!Could not the Treasurer or Site Owner of Record set up a PayPal account or something? That would make it super easy for me to remit and others to make donations. B)

So, are the items shipped from the States or Canada? Will they be US prices? I am assuming that they will be US prices since eventually, there will be more than US smarts than Canadian smarts.

The company is in the US and will ship from there. Prices on the cafepress site are in US $$.B)

Yep, working on it. With any luck it should be available tomorrow by late afternoon. Just a few issues to work out, and we need to go over all the different seller and cross-border PayPal fees and the like.

I'll try not to be too negative here but:How do they ship? I looked in their FAQ and they mention where they ship, costs, etc. but not method that I could see. If it is UPS forget shipping to Canada as UPS wants an arm and a leg for brokerage fees.Which brings us to the next issue. The Canadian members get to potentially pay duty, and certainly extra shipping costs. So can we get a discounted cost for Canadians, which is where the club started, to offset the additional costs we'll bear because the club chooses an "easy" method to set up a store?Does CafePress have a Canadian Warehouse to avoid all these issues such as is done by Amazon.com via Amazon.ca?Sorry to rain on the parade but these are all realities, and unfortunately its things like this that can rip a club apart if they aren't addressed up front. The decision to get into retailing should not be entered into lightly.

Steven,Sorry for the double post, dude :santa: I should maybe have just posted a link in the other area directing the BoD over here. Wanted to get BoD's attention for prompt action.I've also figured out how to add a reply without quoting the previous post... just hit "fast reply!"B)

Did I miss something? Suddenly we're all hot to get some money. Did we get sued? Other than Steven's incurred expenses, which I'm quite willing to pony up some bucks to help cover, have we suddenly gone into debt?There seems to be a lot of people just itching to pull the trigger on some decisions without full assessment of the impact. I've already raised some issues with the CafePress proposal in the other thread.We seem to be at that delicate state that many organizations come to in their life, where they are transitioning from a small organization to a bigger one. This is where a large number of those same organizations fall flat on their face because they don't have a clear agreed understanding of their goals and how they are going to get there. Take a deep breath, decide an overall strategy and then take some actions. From the posts I saw it was basically we need some money cause we could do this or that with it. If you haven't agreed what you're going to do with it don't start collecting it. It will only become a bone of contention because you never agreed what it was for.

I am sorry I don't feel that is the point....Actually that is 180 degrees in the opposite direction why this survey was posted..its not about raising money its about making CSC products available now, easily, and without incurring any expenses, money outlay and the usual headaches associated with vending......I guess a horrible side effect of a successful club storefront could be the club may have some money in an account...if you feel that would be bad, then the storefront can offer everything at cost with no markup for income...brilliant, but the members can start ordering stuff with the logo on it.

With KW on this one - you want to see a club go to hell faster than fast - just add a $ aspect with out a clear definition of who does what - how control is maintained and how authority is applied. That said - check out the regulations for a Non-profits in BC - gives you and idea of what has to be in place before accusations etc. start to fly around. The BOD needs to be involved in the process as well - including discussion of ideas before they are thrown out to the general club. Otherwise confusion reigns supreme and the BOD starts to really wonder if they are involved or just there for decoration.Remember everyone - baby steps until we (the club) learn how to walk let alone run. Not sure what we need such a cash flow for anyways - publish a statement of costs for the web and ask for private donations - see how that works first. After all this is a democratic social club and not a business. My 2 bits.Cheers,Cameron

I am sorry I don't feel that is the point....Actually that is 180 degrees in the opposite direction why this survey was posted..its not about raising money its about making CSC products available now, easily, and without incurring any expenses, money outlay and the usual headaches associated with vending......I guess a horrible side effect of a successful club storefront could be the club may have some money in an account...if you feel that would be bad, then the storefront can offer everything at cost with no markup for income...brilliant, but the members can start ordering stuff with the logo on it. When the baby steps are over a markup can be added...the storefront can operate successfully at zero profit...24/7 365 days a year

Edited by SCHMART

I don't care either way. The "controversy" over should we/shouldn't we is why I abandoned the store in the first place.

Mark-up / at-cost is neither here nor there to me. All I know is - and look at the poll at the top of this thread for example - there is a demand for ClubsmartCar logo paraphernalia.

Regardless... until the BoD decides what they want to do, that store is still dead as far as I'm concerned. They control the Club Identity.

I'll book off this issue until a decision is made. LMK...

B)

I agree with Speedie on this.There really is no need to rush into the retailing.For club financing, we should first just set up a voluntary donation system with a tiny 'supporter' badge beside donor member's names. The whole retailing thing can unfold at a suitable pace to avoid pitfalls. It should happen----but carefully and with due consideration to the details.