Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Postman

Cannot Edit My Own Posts

7 posts in this topic

I can't edit my own posts at all...I don't even get the option to Edit, although others apparently do have this option for up to one (1) hour after they post.Is this another restriction that is placed on "new" members only? Or am I missing something?Not a complaint, I'm just curious. I can just add a 2nd post instead of editing the 1st, of course, which is what I have done on occasion.This topic was somewhat addressed elsewhere (in Policy, I believe, but that topic is closed)

Yeah... limitation of "new members". Of course, there's no reason for you to still be a new member... the main purpose of the new member thing is to weed out spammers, especially bots. But then, its also about fairness and ensuring we ask the same of everyone. So the criteria are set out in the Rules and Guidelines

Requirements for Becoming a Regular Member - New Members must:

[*]Post in the Introductions thread (appropriately).

[*]Have a minimum of 3 quality contributions (new posts, or replies to a section other than community chatter that do not go against any of our rules)

[*]Edit their profile and at least put in their location in the form of city, prov/state (or country)

[*]Ask an appropriate person (Moderator or Administrator) by private message to be upgraded. While Moderators can not upgrade Members directly, they can forward the request to the Administration.

So for people in your shoes, I'd imagine its just down to asking. A couple hundred folks with >50 posts at the time of switchover were made "regular" automatically, simply for the purpose of reducing the workload of the moderators/admin. There's nothing more nefarious than that and it certainly wasn't intended to make good members feel "restricted" or excluded.

So I'll consider this a request :) You're now a regular member. Anyone else in a similar position, please just feel free to ask. The BOD will likely look at the criteria that I drafted up and review what makes sense and what's causing more problems then they're solving. The whole thing might get scrapped... for now, your patience and understanding is appreciated.

Cheers!

- Steven

Can I request a status change, please??I also had wondered about the missing "Edit" button. I could understand 'new' members being restricted from posting links and/or pictures, but this just didn't make sense to me. :mellow: