Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Postman

The Future Of Csc

42 posts in this topic

perhaps a simple idea would be to simply have, on the initial page, an entry point for "new" smart, aka 451. and "classic" smart (like the old coke thing), then let people choose which point to enter into, this way, by default, most canadians would end up in the classic part of the site, featuring diesels, and others would migrate to the new area, focusing on the gasoline version. seems like a simple fix, to accomodate members new and old, and cars new and classic, while allowing views into either if wanted.

Steve, this is an excellent idea!! Thanks, Regina

I'd have to disagree. Why on Earth do we need factions? The smart fortwo is the smart fortwo. I already think the forum subdivisions we have right now are ineffective. The car is the car. When you visit, say, a Corvette forum, you don't have separate portals for each of the six existing generations. Nor do you have separate portals for Canada or the US. It's silly to say this is a Canadian or US forum, or that one group will overtake the other. This is a smart fortwo forum. Period.

Hey guys,I agree with alot of the above; you can't tell me a soon to be smart owner in Lake Tahoe is not concerned with snow tire issues,and that a future Vermont owner is not interested in the best washer-wiper combo. Owners in states bordering the great lakes are just as concerned with how smarts handle in crosswinds as any Ontario driver, and I'll bet dollars to donuts an LA smartianwill be really curious to see how suspension mods are working for drivers in the great white north, and if the tire/wheel combo will clear fenders. If the content is good, topics and threads easy to follow, links to aftermarket goodies and service relevant, then all smart owners will find the site useful and entertaining. Let us not forget that the vast majority of canadians live in cities and towns within a 200 hundred mile belt of the US border, we share alot more than bobble head political leaders.

Edited by B Tisshaw

it wasnt about breaking the car into separate areas as much as it was about making it faster and easier to get to what you want to read about. if you have a 451, you would probably go straight to that section, and if you have the "classic" smart, you would go there more than likely. its still a smart fortwo, no matter which version, its about making it easier to get where you want to go, which i think makes sense for everybody, irregardless of where on earth they're viewing from.i dont think it would polarize anyone, you'd be free to visit either area, it just makes the initial entrance point a choice for you, whichever fortwo you drive.

Maybe this question should be asked in a poll?"The Future of CsC: Will U.S.A. smarts Doom CsC to Canada-only Status?"My vote: "No"

This is just becoming silly. I thought this was a site about and for smart cars. I did not know that nationality was such an issue. Both Canada and the US have the 450 and now both will have the 451. What is the difference and how did this become such an issue?Can't we all just be happy that we have such a fantastic site and be happy with that?

Having had the time to use the site in its current configuration I think something needs to be done. But what to do to keep everyone happy? Currently it is a 451 site and the 450 stuff has been moved towards the back to make room. Since I only look at the 450 stuff...since thats all I own...I find this to be a real pain. I dont really care to read the 451 stuff since it is such a significantly different car than the 450.So I guess my suggestion is to break the 450 items back into a "separate" site as was suggested where you choose your car at the portal page and you can find items just about the cdi or the gasser...or we toss everything into one as was suggested and maybe get people to label the subjects to reflect the topic and car. Right now I feel the whole site and community we had has been polarized...but not on Nationality..but on car generation and the people that had the cars when this site was started have had all the information we have shared over the past few years essentially archived to make this a 451 only place. This is my perception anyways. I find I am visiting less and less as it is next to impossible to find what I am looking for or I have to wade through predominantly 451 topics that are of no interest to me.My opinions take it or leave it.Sean

No, that's pretty much it. I disagree with the "need" for sub-forums for the "old" model. Mods & Performance is Mods & Performance, How-To is How-To.

Agreed; that is definitely a good way to do it. I said so as soon as they went to that format.

yeah I haven't been to smartmaniacs in a long time...I like that... having the choice for the technical items is great. Next thing is the regional groups...I still don't like that Vancouver Island and many other areas are buried under 4 clicks....

Next thing is the regional groups...I still don't like that Vancouver Island and many other areas are buried under 4 clicks....

You could bookmark the regional forum, check it first, then head back to the portal page for 'Todays Active Topics' or wherever.

my concern was for new members who may be unfamiliar with the deep forum layout ever finding the VI or any regional groups. Heck it was hard to direct people there on the OLD site

Where were all these strong opinions when suggestions and feedback were requested before switchovers?Rhetorical - don't answer.Specific suggestions are welcome, but I might advise that you post them as seperate topics in the Site Feedback section rather than rolling them all into here where they are likely to get lost.I have no problem at all, as I'm sure the BOD won't, with changing the setup to something that works better. But the thoughts need to be organized, discussed, decided on... and then enacted. Its a work in progress. - Steven

because before the switchover we really had no idea what it would be like....until it was done.No harm no foul. You yourself said it still needs tweaking.

The CsC site is my favorite forum for the smart cars. When I got my smart in March 2006, I was one of the first in the US to own one, and one of the first US members here on the CsC. I'm glad that you all welcomed us in. The only differences we had in our cars was diesel vs. gasoline. But a lot of the content here applied to any and all smart cars. I didn't see any US vs. Canada issues.Now the 451 model has come in, and there are enough technical differences between it and the 450 models that sections like "How To" have subforums. However, IMHO, both the 450 and 451 should be subforums of the main topic instead of having the new 451 at the main level and the 450 shoved down to the subforum level. Keep both generations at the same playing level.The newer US forums focus 99% on the 451 model, and they have slowly heard the voice from a few of the 450 owners (including myself) that we are in the US too and have already had smart cars for up to 2 years before they will get theirs. I don't think the smartusa forum will support the 450 at all as that is not in their business model. So I can see CsC remaining for a long time, as several of the 450 owners are happy with their cars and plan to keep them for several years. The US 450 owners rely on CsC and some other sources for support, as we don't have a local smart dealer that will help us out. The US 451 owners may come here as well, and we will welcome them, but I don't think they will take over the world!I belong to another US and Canada International Club for the Ford Mustang, and I have attended their car shows in the past on both sides of the border. This club has an annual car show (International Mustang Meet) in the Rocky Mountain region, hosting the show in the US one year and Canada the next. They have been doing this successfully for about 30 years!Tom