Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
inno

Help! Shifter Won't Go Into Automatic!

12 posts in this topic

I have the auto transmission on the floor (no paddle shifters) and today it would not go to Auto when pressing the button, just stayed in Manual mode.Tried turning it on and off and no difference.Searched the forum and could not find anyone with this same problem.Any ideas???

Yes: twist the shift knob slightly while pushing down on it. That might re-establish contact.

Yes: twist the shift knob slightly while pushing down on it. That might re-establish contact.

Tried this but it didn't work. I did find that I could pull the knob right off though, by pulling up on it. Tried that a few times and still no automatic.Any other ideas from anyone? Could there be a fuse that's gone?

When you pulled it right off, you will notice a little micro switch on the left side. With the shifter off, try pushing the microswitch with your finger to see if it goes into Auto and back. NOTE: Don't press the button when pulling off the knob, or you will damage the switch.Good Luck! Dang

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the switch in the knob.Jim

Did they cover it under warranty?

It'll definitely be a warranty job.

OK, first time taking it to the dealer. Got an appt. for Monday.I am going to the Benz dealeship on Dundas and River in Toronto. They are not a SmartStore but should be able to work on this.Thanks for everynone's thoughts.

Well, there aren't really any smart dealerships any more, but I'm pretty sure Dundas & River is one of the Mercedes-Benz Canada corporate stores, so they should be able to help you. That's where I bought my first smart back in 2005.