Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rrrucke

451 Insurance Quotes

36 posts in this topic

Hey Gang,

Since we are getting closer to the delivery of our cars, I thought I would ask my current insurance carrier for a car quote. Here is the reponse that I received from Geico. Not too happy about their response but thankfully State Farm has the car in their database. The agent promised to call me back with a quote. Geico is behind in the times and they will definitely loose my business come delivery of my car. Too bad for them.

So, please let us know who will be insuring your car in the States.

Thanks, Regina

December 31, 2007

Dear Regina Rucker:

Thank you for using GEICO's online services. We have received your request for a quote to replace the 2005 Acura with the 2008 Smart Fortwo. In your request you indicated that you would carry Comprehensive and Collision on this vehicle. At this time we are unable to

provide Comprehensive and/or Collision on a Smart car because any damage to this vehicle would require parts ordering from Europe and specially-trained body shops for the innovative frame design. This would dramatically increase the loss cost over similarly priced vehicles.

Please let us know if you wish to receive a quote without Comprehensive and Collision. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving your insurance needs for years to come.

Sincerely,

Edlira Gogo

GEICO Internet Service

www.geico.com

1-800-861-8380

What an arrogant bunch of pigs!Wonder what ALLSTATE is gonna say?We need to get a directory going, cause I can smell a whole lot of games about to begin.

This is a terrible response from GEICO.At least say we will get back to you because its a new vehicle and were unsure of a proper rate or something.Damn!

Sounds to me like Geico wants to only use their own, hand picked shops, with cheap aftermarket parts.A2Jack.

Edited by a2jack

If you have any problems give Progrissive a call. When Farmers droped me because the smart was the only thing I had insured with them the Progressive folks had no problems picking me up. They were a little more expensive than Farmers but with the multi-policy discounts because of having our sail boat insured with them it was just about a wash.Dennis

Edited by DJW

While it's good to know that Progressive is, well, Progressive...What are they charging? Is it reasonable?

I'm anxious to find out as well. I have Progressive right now, and actually have been looking around a bit for lower rates. I'm glad I saw this, because Geico quoted me at significantly lower than Progressive last week. I like Progressive though, so I don't really want to switch or anything.

Today I called my insurance company, New Jersey Manufactures Insurance (they only insure cars in NJ) and they said that they will insure the new smart. The representative checked with their underwriting department and said they will insure the car with collision and comprehensive based on it's MSRP, but the rate I was given may change as the underwriting department gathers data about the models performance in North America.

I think each state/region must have their own underwriters and the underwriters seem to rule the game. When I got my first smart, the underwriter refused it. After a talk with my agent, he contacted a "more experienced" underwriter and it was no problem. I guess the less experienced underwriter didn't want to stick his neck out. I guess if your agent wants to push the issue, things can happen but in the end somebody makes a decision and experience, ego and authority all count. I think the problem with the on line outfits is that you can't get past the first layer. An older, experienced and crafty agent can make a difference.I have State Farm by the way but good luck in finding someone to take care of your smartie.

I just got off the phone with State Farm, All-State, Geico, and E-Surance and they all have replied that they will have full coverage. Waiting for replies from Encompass, NJ Travelers, and USAA.

Danny, thanks for taking these folks on! Now let's just hope they will give us competitive rates. Regina

Danny, thanks for taking these folks on! Now let's just hope they will give us competitive rates. Regina

In speaking with the above Insurance companies, they all stated that the Smart ForTwo have a low IRG, or Insurance Rating Group, of 13 or 14.... which means in insurance language, a very low, competitive price to insure.

I have also been trying to nail down some 'actual' quotes for insurance on my new Passion Cabrio. Each company has said that they need the VIN number to give me an 'actual' quote, even though I try to tell them that there's no difference in engine size or horsepower, etc. They are so accustomed to playing by a different set of criteria that they just don't quite 'get it'. I don't know which is worse, not getting a quote or getting a 'rough estimate' when the person obviously doesn't have a clue about the car I'm discussing.That's one of the reasons I'm dying to get my VIN number, so I can start nailing these things down before I have to have them. Hopefully, we'll be getting them soon.

Harleyduo: My insurance agent also needed a VIN...so I just went onto the thread here that Mike T. has, where he lists VIN's for the USA cars. I just wrote one down, and gave that one to her. She got me a quote in a couple days. I think any VIN will do, as long as it's a USA 451. Try that.

Anita, you are a brilliant woman( ....Now I'm wondering, why didn't I think of that? That will allow me to do my homework while I am 'waiting'. By the way, I read you heard about your car. Congratulations! I'm still waiting, but at least there have been others in Michigan who have now been notified.Thanks again for the 'tip'.

Harleyduo,Hey, would you please let us know what your quote is when you get it? I have a funny feeling some insurance companies are quoting for the 450 "grey" cars, here in the USA.Case-in-point; My insurance company is with USAA. They've been very reasonable (until now). My 6 mos policy with a 1995 Honda del Sol VTEC has been about $200. When I inquired about replacing it with a Smart fortwo, they said it would raise my policy to well over $1,000 per 6 months (!!). Some companies don't even have it in their quote systems yet (like Progressive.com). So I can't help but feel this isn't for the 451, especially if they've received a European four star crash safety rating... and that's without the side air bags.-Tom L.

Yes, I have not had a good feeling about the insurance quotes, either, so far. When I called State Farm they said they quoted me a price which wasn't a whole lot different than the full size Pontiac Bonneville I currently have, but then they said it might need to be adjusted once they got more information.Like others, I had some companies tell me that they can't quote the car just yet because it's not actually in their rate books because it's not currently in the US. Well, I have news for them, they will be in just a few days, so I need insurance NOW....so I'll be among that number.Lastly, a couple of companies have assured me that they would be insuring the cars, and that their prices would be extremely competitive but then the said they didn't have any actual prices just yet but should have, soon. As luck would have it, my agent was out of the office today so I guess the 'wait' continues. Geez, isn't it bad enough we've had to wait so long for our cars? (grin)

I got quotes from State Farm. Mercury. Progressive. Insurance isn't cheap in Los Angeles. Best quote from State Farm for $317/6 mos 100/300/100 $1000 deductible.

spdickey,$317 is a lot better than over 1 grand! Thanks for the info, I'm breathing a little easier now (we're already going to bite it for Premium Gasoline...) B) Harleyduo,I've got a feeling things will work out once these Smarts arrive onshore. BTW: Gotta ask... do you own a Harley? I had an FLHTCUI (if you own a Harley, you'll know what I'm talking about) :lol: -Tom L.

My brother has gotten a quote for his (eventual arrival) in Miami through Progressive. $2494/6 mos, full coverage. 27 yo single male, postgraduate degree, 670 beacon, owns house, $0 debt.I asked him to forward the rest of the quotes to me when they arrive.**edit**he just told me that he's not giving out his SSN for the quotes, so the rate should go down when he gives it.

Edited by mkt

Just added our fortwo to our USAA Policy. We shifted my wife's old car to occassional use, and put the fortwo on as her primary car. Increase was about $300/6 months. Not bad at all!

Just added our fortwo to our USAA Policy. We shifted my wife's old car to occassional use, and put the fortwo on as her primary car. Increase was about $300/6 months. Not bad at all!

Interesting. My quote from USAA came in at $440/6 months. Limits are Bodily Injury 300,000/500,000, Property Damage 100,000, $500 deductible Comp & Collision. We both have clean driving records. That's almost $150 more than for our '08 Suzuki Grand Vitara that listed at nearly $10,000 more. I have a rep looking into it and expect a return call tomorrow.We've been loyal customers for 30+ years and hae been very satisfied with their rates and service so I don't see us changing companies over this. I'd just like to know why such a discrepancy. Edited by dancote

On USAA Auto Insurance,I too am a member and am also puzzled in the premuim qoute. They don't even list the car on their quote page (you have to e-mail them).I have a 1995 Honda del Sol DHOC VTEC and my 6 month premium is $353.41. That's with a clean record. If I sell the del Sol and add the 2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio, my rates for 6 months will increase by $264.47 to $617.88!I'm wondering if their records reflect the older 450 model (hence, why it's not listed on their 2008 new cars). That would explain the higher fees.When I get my 451, I'll ask them again. but if that's their final offer, I'll look elsewhere. It also could be "What a tiny car! It must be a death trap," factor, ...because there isn't a US DOT crash safety rating. So maybe they're going by size too.I'm not sure... but if I can pay around $400 instead of $617.88 for the same 6 month coverage... bye, bye USAA.-Tom L.