Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rrrucke

451 Insurance Quotes

36 posts in this topic

On USAA Auto Insurance,I too am a member and am also puzzled in the premuim qoute. They don't even list the car on their quote page (you have to e-mail them).I have a 1995 Honda del Sol DHOC VTEC and my 6 month premium is $353.41. That's with a clean record. If I sell the del Sol and add the 2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio, my rates for 6 months will increase by $264.47 to $617.88!I'm wondering if their records reflect the older 450 model (hence, why it's not listed on their 2008 new cars). That would explain the higher fees.When I get my 451, I'll ask them again. but if that's their final offer, I'll look elsewhere. It also could be "What a tiny car! It must be a death trap," factor, ...because there isn't a US DOT crash safety rating. So maybe they're going by size too.I'm not sure... but if I can pay around $400 instead of $617.88 for the same 6 month coverage... bye, bye USAA.-Tom L.

Final total for my policy is $473.06. That's with a $100 deductable Comp/Coll, 100/200 BI, etc. It is less than my 06 Honda CR-V, but not by much. My guess is that the overall premium will come down some as their experience with the car increases.And I did have to add it by phone - online had nothing about the car at all.

USAA did reply again today, saying:"Dear Mr. Lorbeer,The quote we provided is only an estimate based on the information you provided us. In other words it is only a tentative quote without the Vehicle Identification Number. We can tell you the previous quote asked for the 'original cost new'; the estimate was given based on a $17,000 purchase price for the 2008 Smart ForTwo style. If you have the vehicle identification number that is the best way to estimate the cost involved with this vehicle.If you need further assistance, please contact us by e-mail using the 'Contact Us' feature at usaa.com.Thank you,USAA"So I'll give USAA the benefit of the doubt and render judgement after I receive my VIN number and submit it to them."Cheers!"-Tom L.

How about getting a VIN from a similarly equipped car and submitting it to them now. If it is just for a quote, they shouldn't mind that it is not your car.MG

Our insurance quote with USAA was based on having my 85 year old Mother-In-Law listed as a driver on our policy. She doesn't drive and will be giving up her driver's license. That will reduce the cost of the smart car from $440 to $246 for 6 months. I can live with that. USAA comes through again.

I haven't spoken to a real life rep yet, but I can't seem to find smart car listed on the drop downs on Progressive's website... Where did you guys find it? Do you have to call it in?

Insurance Services Office (ISO) is the industry group that tracks cost new, crash, theft, injury, frequency, and severity statistics on every make and model of vehicle on the road. Based on the stats, they assign each car a "Symbol", which is simply a number on a scale of about 1 to 27.The higher the number, the higher the rates on the car, particularly the comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism) and collision rates. Most, but not all companies, use ISO factors, or a tweaked variation of them. ISO has assigned symbols since the late 50's, so the scale nowadays generally runs from 7 to 27.On the 2008 list, the lowest cars carry a Symbol 7 and 8, and include stripped versions of Chevy and Ford trucks and low-end SUVs, base model Chrysler minivan, and the ilk.The highest cars carry a Symbol 27, and include (no surprise) Jags, Lexus hybrid, high end BMWs, and the like.The Smarts have been assigned a symbol 13 for the cabrio, and a symbol 8 for the 2 door hatchback. (The Pure and the Passion are both counted as hatchbacks).It is entirely possible for a symbol to be changed on a new make or a new model, once more of them hit the road and more reliable statistics start filtering in, but it is unusual, unless a car has really horrible "loss experience". The redesigned Chevy Cavalier a few years back was one of the more eye-popping instances of a symbol going through the roof. But generally, they stay they same, or only go up a notch, maybe two at most.

thanks damman - did you get that off the web somewhere or from your own sources?

I just called Allstate 866-621-6900 and was told they have made the decision NOT to cover the Smart Car at this time.. I asked why and was told they don't know, but a lot of people are calling about it... Not a good sign...

I just contacted Liberty Mutual, Progressive, eSurance, State Farm, Allstate, and Geico....Liberty Mutual was the best at $84 a month :D Geico needed a vin number, would not even talk to me without one. <_< Progressive was a bit high at $117 a month :o ESurance was $116 a month based on the Yaris, the don't list the smart car. :blink: State Farm was a bit better at $91 a month :hmmph02: Allstate told me they have decided NOT to cover the Smart car at this time, but they do get a lot of calls about them.... :bigeyed: That is what I found out so far... :sick01: