Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom P.

Tom's New 451

42 posts in this topic

My new 451 Passion Coupe is here and sitting in the MB dealership showroom in Thunder Bay. I will take delivery of it later this week if everything goes as planned. I took some pics to share with you (see below). Note that the wheels have been changed to the steelies with covers to accomodate the Hankook Ice Bear winter tires. Also note the red interior shows its true colour in these pics. Under fluorescent lighting, it looks much more orange than red as I witnessed the other day when it was being PDI'd.post-629-1199553897_thumb.jpgpost-629-1199553967_thumb.jpgpost-629-1199554031_thumb.jpgpost-629-1199554055_thumb.jpgpost-629-1199554084_thumb.jpgNote the smart all-weather floor-mats

Edited by Tom P.

Congats! I have the same colour in the pure model - I picked mine up on Dec 22 and have over 1,000 kms already. Love driving it!

Enjoy! Does the Canadian Pure have manual windows and mirrors? If so, how much effort to crank the windows?

He's got a Passion, so it would have power everything.IIRC, in Canada, the Pure comes with power windows as well.

It's really nice to see 451's rolling off the showroom floors in Cdn along with very happy new owners. Congrats Tom! Regina

Nice, White and Silver go well together! Looks weird looking at a left hand drive tho =SAlso, my all weather mats are different.. are they the Smart ones?

Hi Tom,Since you are now a regular member, it's time to close this thread. Remember, we encourage members to post in all the other threads once they have made their introduction and they have received a hearty welcome for the members. See ya on the board and thanks for understanding. Regina

Hey tomIs the steeringwheel on your white the original one ? or is it the brabus steeringwheel that cost 1200 bucks extra ?Every new 2008 smart come with the same Steeringwheel you got ?

Nice car and man I can not wait to see mine roll in and get some photos up on the forum.Thanks for sharing and I like the red interior and exterior color combination

Hey tomIs the steeringwheel on your white the original one ? or is it the brabus steeringwheel that cost 1200 bucks extra ?Every new 2008 smart come with the same Steeringwheel you got ?

Those are stock Passion wheels. Pure gets a 2-spoke steering wheel.

Well, I am now official. Picked up the new 451 today and loving it. It will be a lot more fun once the break-in period is done as I am trying to keep it under 4000 rpm now. In auto-mode this is no problem but I like those paddle-shifters and the engine sounds sweet when revving up. One thing I will have to get used to when using the paddles is starting off in first gear while making a 90 deg. turn. That upshift paddle is hard to find as it moves with the steering wheel. I will have to try to keep my hands stationary while turning hard. Any suggestions in this regard? The red, or should I say orange, interior looks pretty sharp and is not distracting while driving. I didn't notice any "red" glare in the windshield but it was a cloudy day today. The brake pedal takes a little getting used to as it pivots from the floor unlike any other car I've owned but no biggie. Fit and finish is quite good. I was surprised how much I could fit in the tailgate storage area; nothing bulky mind you but things like a long handled snow brush/scraper, roll of shop-wipe towels, work gloves etc. Very handy storage and out of sight. The grip from the new Hankook Ice Bear winters felt good on the icy spots. I haven't tried the CD player yet but am hoping it plays mp3 discs (I think it will). The stereo sounds decent but a sub-woofer could improve it. I have the tach and clock pods and am wondering where to position my portable GPS - probably suction cup to windshield but not sure exactly where yet. I will want cruise control when it becomes available. Still getting used to the lack of any significant front end or tail end to this car. I am probably allowing twice as much room as necessary when manoeuvering the parking lots. Lots of fun to come.BTW... the first aid kit is located behind the driver's seat for those who are looking for it when they get their 451. Also, no block heater yet but it will be available. I park inside so I don't use one anyway.Stay tuned...Tom

Nice, White and Silver go well together! Looks weird looking at a left hand drive tho =SAlso, my all weather mats are different.. are they the Smart ones?

The "bubble" ones I have seen are on the 450. The ones for the 451 did look different.Tom - do your floor mats fit well? Perhaps the floorpans are that much similar.

BTW... the first aid kit is located behind the driver's seat for those who are looking for it when they get their 451. Also, no block heater yet but it will be available. I park inside so I don't use one anyway.Stay tuned...Tom

Sounds great, Tom. Congrats. I hadn't even thought about a block heater since I've never needed one, but years ago my parents retired to Elliot Lake, Ontario, and had to get one. I wonder if Smart will ever have a remote starter option.

Sounds great, Tom. Congrats. I hadn't even thought about a block heater since I've never needed one, but years ago my parents retired to Elliot Lake, Ontario, and had to get one. I wonder if Smart will ever have a remote starter option.

OOOPS. The answer to that question was right under my nose...http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=12935

Well, I am now official. Picked up the new 451 today and loving it. It will be a lot more fun once the break-in period is done as I am trying to keep it under 4000 rpm now. In auto-mode this is no problem but I like those paddle-shifters and the engine sounds sweet when revving up. One thing I will have to get used to when using the paddles is starting off in first gear while making a 90 deg. turn. That upshift paddle is hard to find as it moves with the steering wheel. I will have to try to keep my hands stationary while turning hard. Any suggestions in this regard? The red, or should I say orange, interior looks pretty sharp and is not distracting while driving. I didn't notice any "red" glare in the windshield but it was a cloudy day today. The brake pedal takes a little getting used to as it pivots from the floor unlike any other car I've owned but no biggie. Fit and finish is quite good. I was surprised how much I could fit in the tailgate storage area; nothing bulky mind you but things like a long handled snow brush/scraper, roll of shop-wipe towels, work gloves etc. Very handy storage and out of sight. The grip from the new Hankook Ice Bear winters felt good on the icy spots. I haven't tried the CD player yet but am hoping it plays mp3 discs (I think it will). The stereo sounds decent but a sub-woofer could improve it. I have the tach and clock pods and am wondering where to position my portable GPS - probably suction cup to windshield but not sure exactly where yet. I will want cruise control when it becomes available. Still getting used to the lack of any significant front end or tail end to this car. I am probably allowing twice as much room as necessary when manoeuvering the parking lots. Lots of fun to come.BTW... the first aid kit is located behind the driver's seat for those who are looking for it when they get their 451. Also, no block heater yet but it will be available. I park inside so I don't use one anyway.Stay tuned...Tom

Thanks for your impressions!The radio will play MP3 on the Passion model (Radio 10). I'm also under the impression that the Passion model gets a subwoofer mounted under the driver's seat?I've seen it mentioned in the brochure and yet it's also listed as an option for the Passion so I'm not sure who's right.

The "bubble" ones I have seen are on the 450. The ones for the 451 did look different.Tom - do your floor mats fit well? Perhaps the floorpans are that much similar.

The "bubble" floor-mats seem to fit quite well in the 451 and cover the whole floor-pan except for a bit with the passenger seat all the way back. I have nothing to compare them to, though.

One thing I will have to get used to when using the paddles is starting off in first gear while making a 90 deg. turn. That upshift paddle is hard to find as it moves with the steering wheel. I will have to try to keep my hands stationary while turning hard. Any suggestions in this regard?

On my 06 pulse I use the floor shifter when turning sharp turns especially 1st to 2nd, or sometimes the opposite hand as long as I remember which shift paddle is where. Can you use the floor to toggle shift up or down with the 451? Andy

Regarding the block heater..I was told "block heaters are old technology." I guess I will find out next Wednesday when it is suppose to go down to -35 if I am left out in the cold or not. :whistle:

On my 06 pulse I use the floor shifter when turning sharp turns especially 1st to 2nd, or sometimes the opposite hand as long as I remember which shift paddle is where. Can you use the floor to toggle shift up or down with the 451? Andy

Yep. you get the manual shift with both the Pure and Passion models. The Passion adds the paddle shifters.

Maybe its only me.. but with the red seats and the inside-door red panels, it gives a little chrismas theme to your car. As for shifting to 1 and turning..I know that when i turn 90 degrees (red light) i always stay on 1st gear... till i go straight again.. then i up to 2nd gear.. but not before i finish the turn. Unless its a very long 90 curve or something. you should be able to finish your turn using only the 1st gear

It rev's up pretty quickly in first gear and I am trying to keep the rpm's down during break-in. I will use the stick to upshift as suggested, until the engine is broke-in then leaving it in first to complete the turn should not be an issue. Of course, I could also put it in auto-mode for this. Thanks for the replies.Tom