Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spdickey

News! A Phone Call From Dave Schembri

10 posts in this topic

http://smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2205

News! A Phone Call from Dave SchembriIt's sat afternoon and I'm on the couch with a beer waiting for the start of the first NFL play off game and my cell phone rings. Guess who called? Dave Schenbri, President of smart USA!!!!!On December 2nd I mailed a letter to Roger Penske thanking him for bringing the Smart Car to America but critical of the lack of info the reservationists were recieving after the initial announcements in the spring that dealers would be contacting us in the fall of 2007.Apparently, Roger gave the letter to Dave and asked him to respond. Dave misplaced the letter until today and called me on Sat afternoon to apologize.We chatted for a while and he provided the following information to me>>>As has been reported here the primary holdup has been state licensing for the dealers.There are a significant number of cars here at the ports and they are ready to roll. There are no issues with emissions or anything else.They are using three ports, Baltimore, Jacksonville and Long Beach.There will be an all dealers conference call on the evening of the 8th of January. That night Fed-X packages will go out to all open dealers that will contain the information of reservations and cars assigned to them. So they will have that info on the 9th or 10th and should start to contact the reservationists.Cars will be dispatched from the ports beginning on the 14th to the dealerships.Cars will be shipped to your dealer (assigned by zip code) if your dealer will have his showroom open before Feb 1. If your assigned dealer will not be open until after Feb 1 and you have an early reservation your car will be shipped and you will be contacted by the closest dealer to you that is open when your car is available.For Central Florida folks there will be 4 dealers-Sarasota, Clearwater, Tampa and Orlando. Sarasota is open now, Orlando is scheduled to open Jan 20 and the others will be later this spring.That's what I got from him and I have to tell you I was very impressed that he called and it gives me a very good feeling about Smart USA.Last edited by kwagar : Today at 03:24 PM.

Steve,People like Roger Penske and Dave Schembri are going to make this launch happen. Yes there could be improvements but overall, I've been very happy with smart's efforts to making my dream come true including letting us see (unexpectantly) their commitment to making us future owners more than happy. What a testiment to both their characters that they saw through to the importance of your concerns and decided immediately that they should address them. Thanks for sharing your brief but informative call. Today you are a smart superstar! Regina :speak_cool:

Edited by rrrucke

Kwager. Thank you for your letter writing efforts, and I applaud your presence mind to ask the right questions. :) It must have blown you off your chair when, after all this wait and uncertainty, you had the Pres of Smart on your phone.Well done...You Cool. B) A2Jack.

Im surprised that somebody actually called you. The fact of who it was makes it more impressive. Im very happy for you and happy to see this smart car deal start to happen here in the US.Its very nice to see something or at least hear of positive progress for the release of the smart.

Interesting that there was a confirmation that Jacksonville FL and Long Beach CA are both ports of entry.I have been unable to track any shipments from Bremerhaven to these ports, with any smarts on them.When cars start appearing at FL and CA dealers, if some of the complete VINs could be recorded by members and sent to me, it would help me in my efforts to track these cars. Thanks.