Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cash

451 Owners: Bugs Or Warranty Repairs To Date?

97 posts in this topic

I got my Black Passion in Sarasota, Florida (about 1.3 hours) south of my home. My local Dealership won't open until early March (Lokey MB). Sarasota had my car so my wife drove me down and I drove it home, loved the ride.My big irritation is that I have a rattling sound under the cabin about 85% of the time when I am at a stop. When I pull up to stop at a light or crossing the car will actually "Dip" like it was trying to move forward while the brakes are applied. Weird but not a big deal.

Edited by Mikey

...when I am at a stop. When I pull up to stop at a light or crossing the car will actually "Dip" like it was trying to move forward while the brakes are applied. Weird but not a big deal.

I think the dip you are feeling is the hill-holder feature of the 451 that engages at every stop whether it be on a hill or not. The 451 transmission also has a creep mode to simulate an automatic when the brake is released without depressing the accelerator.

New Passion with 50 miles. Towed to the shop. Wouldn't start. The gearshift display showed the 3 horizontal bars while in Park, and the starter wouldn't engage at all. The 3 horizontal bars indicate a problem with the transmission that may require it to relearn itself. This didn't work. Diagnostics showed a faulty electronic module in the gearshift mechanism. I believe the diagnostics identified the module as the N15/5. The dealer has been very quick with help, including a house call. Thankfully this happened in my garage at home. They do not have the necessary part in stock and are in the process of swapping with a display car until a new part arrives. A disappointing setback, but not at all like the other transmission problems that have popped up, like not being able to move the shifter or key getting stuck in the ignition. The dealer has been first class so far. Smart Center Seattle.

Radio had been a problem with the AM reception becoming poor. The dealer tried swapping out the radio and the antena, with no fix. They ordered a new cable for the antena conection and that fixed it! Very courtious with rides to and fro the dealership. Car was washed both times when they had it.Very happy with MB @ boundary Rd. in Vancouver, B.C. Canada.Peter

i am taking my smart in for a recall on the tranny issue! how many people have gas gauge issues i can fill it up and run it over and it will not say it is full!!!

No issues with my car to report - about 2500 km on it now and about eight weeks of ownership ... its breaking in nicely with respectable gas milage (actually it seems about the same as my chipped 2005 smart) no broken parts, quiet, fast and i love this power assist whatever it is steering, great on the hwy commute.James

If you live in a cold climate like the Canadian prairies see this thread.

To sum up: coolant isn't strong enough

Most other manufacturers make 'em good 'til at least -40'C, usualy about -45'C and I've even seen -50'C (on new Ford trucks)

i am taking my smart in for a recall on the tranny issue!

Do you have any details on the reason for the recall? Is it for the transmission itself, or for the shifter?

In reading the US forum - one of the hold ups for delivery of the cars there was an issue with a retaining clip on the shifter cable - perhaps this is what is causing an issue for the Canadian cars with the NA shifter - but released before the US cars.Cheers,Cameron

My 451 was in the shop for about one week. The shifter "module" (whatever that is) was broken. Key stuck, no maunual shitt, etc... I am starting to find out, that this is becoming a common problem with the new transmission. :(

The European shifter, carried over from the 450, is not a problem.......too bad they had to mess with it by designing a new one for us.

I think that this is called "re-inventing the wheel" ;)

On my Passion 451, the auto door lock feature has stopped working since the week-end. Usually, the doors would lock after I start the car and drive 30 of 40 feet. Does anyone know if that is a feature that can be enabled or disabled by pressing on a secret series of dash buttons? I'll probably wait for the first oil change to have the dealer look into it. Everything else seems to work normally...

Yes you can switch this option on or off. It is described in the operating instruction book under "drive lock function".Switch off the ignition.Press the central locking switch on the dash and the lock button on the key at the same time.You will hear beep and it is on.If you do it again the this function is turned off.pwven

Driving home in the dark the other night I was showing my wife the various light options in the car. Had the "automatic" light selection on low beams. Turned on the fog lights so she could see the change in light pattern. Then turned on high beams to show her that the fog lights would turn off. Oops! They stayed on. I thought that might be a quirk with the "auto" setting so I tried the normal lights on setting but got the same result.Has anyone else experienced this? I don't believe this is the correct functionality.

That is how fog lights work in France. My smart 450 does that too.

Those crazy Frenchies.Yes, fog lights stay on when high beams on my car as well. Certainly not the way things are usually done in North America.pedro

Radio had been a problem with the AM reception becoming poor. The dealer tried swapping out the radio and the antena, with no fix. They ordered a new cable for the antena conection and that fixed it! Very courtious with rides to and fro the dealership. Car was washed both times when they had it.Very happy with MB @ boundary Rd. in Vancouver, B.C. Canada.Peter

Peter: I have also noticed the AM radio is very poor. I cannot hear a Chicago station (WBBM) that I hear on the other two cars. I hear spattering from adjacent channels and lots of noise. What were the symptoms on your AM radio? Thanks. A2Jack.

A2jack: My radio problem developed over a bit of time. About three weeks if I remember. The symtoms were popping and crackling noises that came and went. Also reception was poor. The dealer was at first unconvinced as the first time they had it it seemed to work OK. The cable from the radio to the ariel was replaced and seemed to fix it. It must have been easy to work on as it was in and out of the shop quickly. Good luck!Peter

That is how fog lights work in France. My smart 450 does that too.

I had an off-road vehicle equipped with fogs and driving beam accessory lights. I had a devil of a time explaining to a mechanic that I wanted the beams to be on a relay in tandem with the high beams, and the fogs on a relay with the lows. I ended up doing it myself, since he couldn't imagine why I couldn't just turn turn the accessories on and off when I needed them.Meh. Some people's children...