Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deezle

Specific Suggestions For Our Updated Site.

76 posts in this topic

Please use this topic for SPECIFIC suggestions or problems with our updated site.

IM SMRT has pointed out that it's a tad difficult to get to some of the regional forums (and other sub-forums) from our portal page.Can this be remedied by listing subforums (indented) in the 'Site Navigation' box on the portal page? It would seem to be an easy solution. The 'Site Navigation' box seems way too basic.

Edited by deezle

I can't be alone in almost never going to the portal page, so I think that's not the solution. I used to start at the main forums list page, which was somewhat less cluttered. On the new forum, I start by clicking "View New Posts." But if I have to find an older thread I go to the main "Forums" page and then have to guess where it might be.

As an example, if I want to find Mike T's How-To for cleaning my cabrio's headliner. I remember it's a How-To, so I click on that. On the How-To forum, there appear to be two lonely threads. If I were a new-comer I'd probably back out and go somewhere else. But as a non-new-comer, I know it must be in there somewhere. I see "450 Smart (pre 2007 model)" on the top of that page so I click it and that's when I see the famous and useful "Index File: How-to Directory Of Tutorials." To me this is needless. And that's not the only area where there is sub-division where it's unnecessary; it's all over CsC.

It would be much better if CsC had less forums and topic-starters put an extra five seconds into titling their threads properly than expecting readers to guess where a thread might have wound up. Also, by having less forums it also makes the moderators' jobs easier by not having to move as many threads.

This is probably my number-one gripe with the new layout.

Actually, I realize now that the 'site navigation' box on the portal page couldn't possibly contain a listing of all the forums. It's the index page in the forums that needs to be more clearly organized.Using your example, Sameguy, the 'How To' section should simply list both the 450 and 451 series as equal sub forums so that the user can simply choose whichever is applicable. This actually happens in the regional sections. If you click on the U.S., all four subforums appear for you to choose from----they have equal status. The technical sub-forums should likewise be equal to avoid confusion (when you click on 'How To', you should be presented with a choice of subforum). But to not even have separate sub-forums would soon become a nightmare as more and more 451's appear.I think the portal page will become more and more useful as we get more static (locked) articles rather than just forums.

It looks like we've dropped the journalist from the portal and I think that it's an improvement, but that big blank space needs to be filled.The ideal thing would be an image map with some (maximum 6 or 7) really high level links to the various forms/articles etc. This would provide primary navigation for new users. If this is possible, then the contents of the map could be decided here.My suggestion:1. 450 - smart diesel ( ? to 2007) 2. 451 - smart gas (from 2008 - )3. Regional - USA4. Regional -Canada5. Market Place6. Other discussion forumseach of these should link to appropriate forums.That's my 10 cents..

Using your example, Sameguy, the 'How To' section should simply list both the 450 and 451 series as equal sub forums so that the user can simply choose whichever is applicable. This actually happens in the regional sections. If you click on the U.S., all four subforums appear for you to choose from----they have equal status. The technical sub-forums should likewise be equal to avoid confusion (when you click on 'How To', you should be presented with a choice of subforum). But to not even have separate sub-forums would soon become a nightmare as more and more 451's appear.

I agree with this. I made this same suggestion in another thread that the 451 should also be a subforum at the same level as the 450 subforums. Common 'How-To' data could be at their parent level, or at another subforum for "all models" at the same level as the 450 and 451 subforums. This also makes it ready for future models to be added.Tom

By putting 450 threads in sub-forums of (intended) 451 areas, it makes it look like the information is deprecated, which is simply not the case. There are still over 10,000 450s on the road in North America, and 700,000+ throughout the world.

Putting the 451 stuff into subforums isn't a problem, but people were complaining about extraneous "clicks" and I thought, for the latest model folks anyway, that it would be one less click. It also gives a place for non-model-specific information to be without having to have that in its own sub forum too.Every suggestion you can make about the organization of 450 and 451 topics will have a flaw. Its not as simple as any one person might think. Believe me, I racked my brain for the best solution and this is what I came up with. Its by no means perfect either. So given that no way of doing it is going to be the "right" way... what do we do? I guess we present the various options to the BOD and they vote. Or they choose to have the membership have an open vote. But if you think about it... take whatever suggested method you want and really think about it... its not going to work for everyone.

easiest way? top menu is 450 OR 451click on your preference.Under that level are ALL the same headers as are in place now... post in 450 mods and it only shows up in the 450 mods section. essentially 2 separate forums existing together. leave the GD and other "social" headers up but put all the technical in their separate spots. Regional groups can basically go back to the way they were.Canada ----->VI, BC mainland, Alberta, Sask, Man, SW ont, E. on, quebec, maritimes ....or whatever they were....no need for the extra easter canada western canada, eastern bc western bc, eastern mainland western mainland etc etc subdivision. K.I.S.S. principle rules.Having the technical sections like that would also make the "last topic posted in" notice actually pertain to the vehicle you are interested in....not the current well it might be the 450 sub sub forum or it might be the 451 topics... it eliminates more clicking and waiting for page lods to find out you really didnt want to read about the 451 again.

I know this is a small thing, but I miss the popup when you have a new message. I tend to miss the smaller notice at the top of the screen.Thanks! Dang

Dan.. turn it on then. It should be on by default I think, so did you turn it off? Or maybe a popup blocker is getting them? Because there certainly are popups for new PM messages.My Controls --> Options --> Board Settings --> Do you wish to get a board notification when you get a new personal message? Yes.

I don't think a pop-up blocker will get it, because it isn't in a new window, but rather in a floating box on the site.It will only display once on the first time you load the forum, so if you clicked on a link that brought you to the post at the bottom of the page, it may have been there on the top, but for example: after replying, it won't show it.Also, you should get an email when you get a new PM. :)

I do have "Do you wish to get a board notification when you get a new personal message?" set to yes, but I assume that tells it to send out the e-mail notification???? I do get those. I don't always check my e-mail. The old software used to pop up a window saying I had a new message, the new one "seems" to not do that.I don't get the "pop up blocked" window at the top of Explorer, so assume the issue isn't that it's getting blocked. Are other people getting a pop-up when they have a new message?As mentioned, it's not a big deal.Later! Dang

I get a pop up, but it's not openable. So I close it and read it the normal way.

:notworking:would you please consider adding a resizing option in the bbcode so that i don't have to store an image? i have no problem with putting an image in, but it's HUGE! if resizing IS an available option, would you please post that coding sequence into the 'bb code help' pop-up window?:thanx:, one and all.-k

Not sure I follow what you mean Karen.You should resize the image BEFORE uploading it or referencing it. I'm guessing you mean there is some image somewhere on the web that you want in your signature, but it is too large. Yeah, there's no way to resize it in the bbcode. You would have to save a copy of the image to your harddrive, then resize it, then upload it to some website somewhere and THEN reference it from your signature. If you don't know how to do all that (and that's understandable :) ) then post a link to the image here and I'll give you a hand as best I can. - Steven

yes, steve - i wanted a pic from the web shrunk using bbcode. smartzuuk says the same, but thanks anyway. i just thought there had to be a much quicker way than download/upload/link which, btw, i can do :).time: 1442EST. let's see if i can get this done before i head off to work. (might not make it if my kodak software isn't loaded, though...)time: 1456EST - DONE!

Edited by smarted_up

I find that the search function is extremely irritating in that it kills my search as soon as I have words under 4 letters long.How, for example, do I search for a thread on my "oil pan". Or do a search for any topics relating to "H7" light bulbs or my "egr". I just find it really frustrating when I think of something I want to look for only to type it in and get "search error".I guess I will just have to post a new thread every time I want information out of the forum :P

I was thinking that as the warmer weather arrives, and our Get-Togethers become more and more frequent we should consider giving them prominence on the top level portal page. Also, I am uncertain how the Calendar feature works. Is it possible for Moderators of a regional section to create a calendar event that sends alerts to anyone subscribed to their regional section?

smarted_up... glad you figured it out... good job!booneylander... you aren't along in that frustration! "oil pan" is an excellent example. I know... its a pain. I wish I could fix it... should be possible but haven't figured it out yet. There is a setting on the software, but it is being overridden by the SQL settings and I can't seem to get those changes to take effect. Sorry for the headache and I will keep trying when I have time.Gent... yeah, calendar is just sort of there but isn't being used. We can create as many calendars as we want. They won't alert anyone, that is what the regional threads are for. I had a plan for the whole thing but stuff happened and it got cut short. Up to the BOD now. - Steven

re: search.

If you want this changed you'll need to have it changed on the server by editing the my.cnf file (as well as editing the setting in the IP.Board Admin CP) - will need root access to the server to do this so only really possible if you have a dedicated server/VPS. I doubt many shared hosts out there would be willing to change the limit unfortunately...

for very large boards, there is also a module called Sphinx which is an excellent search engine replacement and can accept down to 2 characters - again, you'll need a dedicated server for it though.

We are not on a dedicated server, but I do have access to the my.cnf file. I'll follow up with the admin again soon... see if they can do something.Thanks. - Steven

Well, that wasn't so hard was it :)Alright... figured it out and got 'er done!3-character searches are now permitted. Enjoy! - Steven

Exactly what was discussed... had to get the server to agree to change the limit because it was out of our control. I guess I got the right person this time... was the 3rd time I asked, and this time he did it while I was on the phone. - Steven