Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom P.

451 Oil Change Schedule

26 posts in this topic

The Service booklet that comes with the manual shows 2 types of maintenance services; (1) Oil Service PLUS and (2) Maintenance Service. These are tracked by the on-board Maintenance System to show distance driven and time elapsed since the last service.The first maintenance (1) is due at 15,000 km. (9,361 mi.) and the second (2) at 30,000 km (18,723 mi.). The service intervals keep repeating this pattern every 15,000 km. So the #2 Maintenance Service is every 30,000 km.Question: When should the first oil & filter change be done? I think 15,000 km. is way too long. Every other vehicle I have owned called for oil & filter changes every 5,000 km. and I usually got the first one after 1,000 km.

Question: When should the first oil & filter change be done? I think 15,000 km. is way too long. Every other vehicle I have owned called for oil & filter changes every 5,000 km. and I usually got the first one after 1,000 km.

Don't have my smart yet but other cars I've owned have a 2-tier service schedule: 1 for "normal" use and 1 for "severe" use. I find that the definition of severe use is much closer to my operating conditions than the normal version so I usually follow that schedule. In any event, with modern engines, I have no qualms about following the manufacturer's recommended service intervals. My guess is that even these extended intervals are probably conservative.Regards,Dan

Well, you know this is the schedule that the engeneers have set. They designed the thing so they should know.Now having said that I do not adhere to that schedule at all. I am in agreement with you and do my oil changes more frequently then the 8000 Km that my schedule calls for.The only exception was the first one, because at the time the story was going around that the first oil put in by the factory was a special break-in oil. Whether that is true or not I still don't know so then my first statment applies.Saves you money if you follow the schedule. Saves you peace of mind if you change more frequently.Retired RCAF

Tom,Play it safe and call your local smart servicing dealer. As a rule-of-thumb, I've always been told to change your oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. But in this day and age of synthetic oils, the intervals could be much longer. When you call, ask what oil they use too.While "regular" oil might last longer in a smart 451 (as oppose to a 1966 Plymouth Valiant), it's the contaminants like water I'd be concerned with.Just my 2 cents.-Tom L.

Don't forget, you also have a service indicator in the smart so I presume they have an oil life indicator.If you are worried, just check the oil colour after 1,000km then 5,000km and so forth. My Prius needs an oil change after every 8,000km. The first full maintenance does come around til 32,000km (then every 16,000km after that... i.e. it alternates btwn O&F and full maintenance). Sometimes it's brown after 8,000km, sometimes it looks fairly new.

The only exception was the first one, because at the time the story was going around that the first oil put in by the factory was a special break-in oil. Whether that is true or not I still don't know so then my first statment applies.Retired RCAF

The special break-in oil would be non synthetic as an engine will not properly break-in with an oil with such lubricity as a synthetic. Engines that come from the factory with synthetic are pre broken in.I too shorten the oil change interval, these engines are so small they're working close to the max all the time, at least the way I drive!

I've always followed the high usage oil change schedule on my cars. Since it must be out there what oil viscosity are they reccommending for the 451? Syn or regular oil?

Smart recommends synthetic for the 451...also found out that the Mercedes 320 CDI comes from the factory with Fuchs TITAN GT1 229.51 SAE 5W-30 (first fill oil in OM 642). Therefore (at least in my mind) it's reasonable to assume that the smart (diesel) would come with synthetic as well? As far as the 451 goes, with the extended service intervals I think it's reasonable to assume it would be synthetic as well.

Edited by lebikerboy

It sounds to me how the "A" and "B" service should on the 450. ie the "A" service should be an oil and filter change and the "B" service should be the maintenance service.The oil service Plus sounds like having the oil and filter changed plus a few other things (lube doors, check tire pressure etc.). The maintenance service every 30k includes the oil and filter change plus all the other maintenance items needed to look after maintenance on the 451. With Synthetic oil the mileage is within reason. If it was regular oil the times would cut in half.My 2 cents Roy

Edited by yellow bumble bee

Dealer just got back to me and the 451 does indeed have synthetic oil in it. Personally, I will do the FIRST change after break-in and then follow the 15,000 km schedule thereafter.Tom

Dealer just got back to me and the 451 does indeed have synthetic oil in it. Personally, I will do the FIRST change after break-in and then follow the 15,000 km schedule thereafter.

Tom

My plan is to do the 1st change at 7500 kms and continue with the schedule with a change in between each one. I've always run synthetic in all of my vehicles but 15,000 kms seems way too long. At that distance, you'd have way too much moisture and other contaminants in the oil regardless of what type of vehicle it's in, it's not worth the risk.

Okay it is synthetic. Let's say I'm after Mobil 1. What viscosity do would I want for the 451. O-40, 5-30???

Okay it is synthetic. Let's say I'm after Mobil 1. What viscosity do would I want for the 451. O-40, 5-30???

Stick with the 0w40 until higher mileage, then go 5W.2cts.Bil B)

I think I would just follow the schedule, there are a fair number of cars out there right now that can go over a year without an oil change. The computer monitors the driving style and the interval will change accordingly. It was in Road and Track I think....either way you can't over maintain a car right?

a year without an oil change? i don't know about that. it's not just whether or not the advanced oils break down (or not) but how they become contaminated with waste gasses, particulates, etc. over time that both reduces their efficiency and can cause potential accelerated wear to the engine, sensors and other components.

I just spoke to Chris at Lone Star (Winnipeg) and booked mine in for the first change on Feb 19. (I'll have about 7,500 kms on it by then.)He tells me that what they have in house and what the oem recommends is Quaker State Synthetic European Blend 0w40... I expressed my dislike of QS and asked if we could go with Mobil1 Euro-Blend 0w40 and he said he couldn't / highly recommended that we stick to what they have & recommend :worried_anim: I'm sure that the Mobil 1 meets or exceeds oem specs. I think I may have to talk to the manager when I get there that morning. :shiftyeyes_anim: anybody here know his name?

QS 5w40 does. Maybe that's wqhat he meant. It is common house brand in MB shops.

I agree that QS 5W-40 FULL synthetic does however he said it's a blend that the dealer suggested...

Heck with the dealer. Read the warranty. If it says MUST COMPLY WITH MB229.5, don't accept anything else. Or if you want to be a :devil: write a wee paper for him to sign acknowledging that he is using non-approved oil and will accept responsibility for any future engine faults or failures that may be related to his choice of oil. He will soon accept your Mobile1 0w40 selection. :lol:B :sun:

bilgladstone said:

Heck with the dealer. Read the warranty. If it says MUST COMPLY WITH MB229.5, don't accept anything else.

So with that thought:

229.5 engine oils must be used with fleece oil filter designed for use with 229.5 engine oils.

AGIP Formula LL DC 5W-30 (I)

Aral SuperTronic G 0W-30 (D)

Castrol DCO TOPUP 0W-30 (D)

Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30 (USA)

Elf Excellium 229.5 5W-30 (F)

FormulaShell Ultra AB 5W-30 (GB)

Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL MB 5W-30 (D)

Labo MB 229.5 5W-30 (F)

Liqui Moly Longtime High Tech 5W-30 (D)

Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40 (USA)

Mobil 1 Turbodiesel 0W-40

Mobil SHC Formula MB 5W-30

Motorex Profil M-XL 5W-30 (CH)

OMV full syn MB 5W-30 (A)

Pennzoil European Formula Ultra 5W-30 (USA)

Premium Synthetik Motorenöl 5W-30 (DaimlerChrysler, D)

Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30 (USA)

Shell Helix Ultra AB 5W-30 (Mercedes-Benz) (GB)

Shell Helix Ultra DC 229.5 (GB)

Total Quartz 229.5 5W-30 (F)

Valvoline SynPower MB 5W-30 (NL)

Valvoline SynPower 5W-40

Valvoline SynPower 20W-50

Edited by Mikey

Amsoil: +1 :thumbup:thanks for the reminder - I need to reorder.

Notice the specification for a fleece filter. smart cars never had a fleece filter and still do not AFAIK. I looked high and low after reading that when I got m'wee smartie and no manufacturer I could find worldwide makes one in "fleece" media the right size to fit. :rolleyes: If you want that degree of efficient filtration, you need to go spin-on.

B :sun:

Amsoil: +1 :thumbup:thanks for the reminder - I need to reorder.Notice the specification for a fleece filter. smart cars never had a fleece filter and still do not AFAIK. I looked high and low after reading that when I got m'wee smartie and no manufacturer I could find worldwide makes one in "fleece" media the right size to fit. :rolleyes: If you want that degree of efficient filtration, you need to go spin-on.B :sun:

Amsoil actually meets the latest standard of MB 229.51 as do these others... MB sheet 229.51 approved oils; low ash long lifeMercedes pioneered this new spec for passenger cars with diesel engines with exhaust particulate filters, and gasoline engines, and longer service life than the 229.31 oils. The spec was introduced in 2005. Change intervals increased to 20,000 kilometers. Based on ACEA A3 B4 and C3.Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40Anglomoil RoadMaster 500 API SM 10W-40Aral SuperTronic 229.51 0W-40 LOW SAPSAral SuperTronic Diesel 229.51 0W-40 LOW SAPSBizol New Generation SAE 5W-30 (added 09 July 2007)Castrol EDGE Formula RS SAE 0W-40 (added 09 July 2007)Castrol EDGE Turbodiesel SAE 0W-30 (added 09 July 2007)Castrol Longtec Turbodiesel 0W-30 (229.51)ELF Solaris LSX 5W-30Fuchs TITAN GT1 229.51 SAE 5W-30 (first fill oil in OM 642)megol Motorenoel New Generation SAE 5W-30Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 (to become available in the USA on 15 May 2006)Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 Emission System Protection (Europe, from December 2005)OMV BIXXOL special C3 SAE 5W-30 (added 09 July 2007)Pentosynth HC 5W-40 (added December 2007)Shell Helix Ultra AX 5W-30 Mercedes 229.51Sunoco Synturo Xenon SAE 5W30 (added 09 July 2007)Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-30 229.51 (added 01 June 2006)Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 229.51 (added November 2007)Valvoline SynPower 20W-50 229.51 (added November 2007)