Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom P.

Scangauge Ii

41 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a Scangauge mounted in their 451 yet? If so, what works and where is the best mounting location? Pics please.

Tom: I have one in both my 450 and 451. The 450 has it above the mirror on the roof and the 451 is under the left dash vent. It fits perfect!! One small hole throught the black panel (nothing behind it), feed the and away you go!!JimSorry, it is too cold for me to go to the garage and take a picture!!

Hi,Ok, first off I apologize for asking this question... because I've never heard of a "Scangauge" or "Scangauge II". From reading past posts, I take it can calculate fuel mileage... but I'm sure there's more.So, what exactly can this Scangauge do and why is it all the rave? :huh: Thanks.-Tom L.

Tom: I have one in both my 450 and 451. The 450 has it above the mirror on the roof and the 451 is under the left dash vent. It fits perfect!! One small hole throught the black panel (nothing behind it), feed the and away you go!!Jim

Jim, I photoshop'd a Scangauge onto a dash picture. Is this what you mean? How big is the hole for the OBD connector wire on the back... 1/4" ? Is the Scangauge held by double-sided tape or velcro or what?post-629-1200866460_thumb.jpg Edited by Tom P.

Wow! So Scangauge uses an existing port (this OBD-II) and you don't have to buy additional sensors and relays to hook up? That's incredible! :o What is the OBD-II used for anyways? This won't void any warranty if I have electrical issues later on, will it? Would smart accept this as a legit accessory? I'd hate to spend extra money on an extended warranty just to have them say, "Sorry..."-Tom L.

OBDII is the onboard diagnostics computer/chip that comes standard on American vehicles newer than 1996.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-Board_Diagnostics#OBD-II

It shouldn't void it, as it is completely removable and generally the ScanGauge just reads the info and doesn't modify anything. Mind you, you can use it to reset some engine codes and that might be voiding it...

Tom, I got the impression that Wheel Man was suggesting that he installed his scangauge unit in the recess in the dash area just to the left of the steering wheel as you are sitting inside the car. I think that might be where the sunglasses storage case attaches, but I remember there was a recess already there...and then you'd not see the hole in the back of that recess.I also thought at first it was in the location that you put the picture, but then I realized there is another vent no the left of the steering wheel that he might have been talking about instead of on the left one in the center of the dash area.I'm very curious about the best place to mount this unit, too. I know I'm going to have one, but I want a good, solid place to mount it where it looks like it came from the factory with it there, instead of looking like a 'wart' on one's nose.

You are correct!! It is to the left of the steering wheel and I matched the display to the dash, so it looks factory!!!Jim

Does anyone have a Scangauge mounted in their 451 yet? If so, what works and where is the best mounting location? Pics please.

Tom - This thread has some good ideas where to mount the scangauge on the 450's.

OK, Wheelman...now you've got a lot of us wanting to see pictures of your fitment of your Scangauge II on your 451.. Speaking of that, how do you keep the unit in place? Does it wedge in tight or is it kept from popping out of the recess by the wire being taut coming out of it? It seems like a 'friction fit' would eventually bounce out when hitting potholes, etc. Is the viewing angle acceptable in that location?Since I don't have my car,yet, can you tell me if using that location will not allow a person to install the case to hold sunglasses? (I seem to recall that location being right where that particular accessory installs, too., but I there may be another spot close to that same area.Thanks for your help and we'll look for those pictures when it gets a bit warmer.

Our U.S.A. members would likely be better off ordering direct from www.scangauge.com and avoiding the cross border customs and exchange. It's $169.95 shipping included. No warranty issues as it simply plugs in and tells you the information the cars computer is already collecting. It is not changing anything about the car...except maybe your driving habits to achieve maximum fuel economy.

Jim,Is this your location for the Scangauge? Is it inside the cubby or on the fabric outside? How is it fastened?post-629-1200886593_thumb.jpg

Hi, I have a Scangauge mounted on top of the driver side, dash mounted vent. I stuck the provided velcro tape to the bottom of the gauge (hooks) and the other piece of velcro to the back end of the dash vent which is smooth plastic. With the velcro you can adjust the gauge to your prefered viewing angle. The wire comes out the back of the gauge, then I slide it into the crack between the dash and the door pillar, then under the dash (where I loop the extra cable) and finally into the ODB socket in the underside of the dash. I edited the previously provided picture to give you an idea. Its -20C outside, so no pics (-:The gauge looks much better then in this picture. Its sits further back, does not block any sight of the road and its the same viewing hight as the speedometer. post-4321-1200890472_thumb.jpg

He is a few pictures of my scangauge installed, I used velco and it stays in place if you don't use the stuff that came with the gauge. I bought my scangauge from Gifford Automotive (Tom), he does charge shipping or handling and it comes to just about $193.00.Jim

He is a few pictures of my scangauge installed, I used velco and it stays in place if you don't use the stuff that came with the gauge.

Thanks for the pics, Jim. Now we see where you put it. Did you use industrial strength velcro instead? What size hole did you have to drill to feed the cable behind the dash? I assume the cable disconnects from the back of the Scangauge to do this.Tom

Jim,Thanks for the pics. Say- while driving, is the view of your Scangauge unobstructed or does your steering wheel block some of it?Thanks again.-Tom L.

I can see the scangauge clearly through the steering wheel and used a 3/8ths drive drill bit to drill through the rear black panel. There is not much behind that panelbut check before drilling!JimP.S. Tomorrow, iput on my new front spoiler (brabus).

May I ask what combination of colors were required to match the dash lighting? Thank you in advance.

I'll just hold off a bit on the scangauge, as it does not fit the style of the car. No mater where it is placed, it's a square peg in a round hole.Some one is sure to come out with one that fits in the clock like the early gauge, or is at least rounded off a little. :P A2Jack

ScanGauge setup questions:Can the scangauge be hooked up using either the rear connector or side connector on the gauge? If not, what is the side connector used for?When inputting tank size on the 451, are you using 33 L. or is there additional reserve to be included?What is the custom color combo R,G,B to match the amber dash lights?Thanks,Tom

I'll just hold off a bit on the scangauge, as it does not fit the style of the car. No mater where it is placed, it's a square peg in a round hole.Some one is sure to come out with one that fits in the clock like the early gauge, or is at least rounded off a little. :P A2Jack

I have the original model, and it fits in a car's decor like a piece of industrial test equipment. The current model is sooo much better in size and appearance. You're never going to find one that looks like it fits in perfectly with every car on the road.

Can the scangauge be hooked up using either the rear connector or side connector on the gauge? If not, what is the side connector used for?What is the custom color combo R,G,B to match the amber dash lights?

I believe that it can be hooked up to either. Just depends on how you want to place it in your car.There is a preset color that is pretty close to the orange in the 450. Not sure if the 451 color is a bit different or not.