Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Daurin

Wanted: Smart Cdi In Us/canada

6 posts in this topic

Where can I find a Canadian import Smart diesel (CDi) in the US? Best case scenario would be a CDi which had already been imported into US and registered here, but also looking for CDi owners in Canada who have registered their cars there already, but now want to sell.

Also, I am looking for any additional info or testimonials from people who have already imported the CDi from Canada to the US. I understand that EPA restrictions may be an issue. It is my understanding that some states will register these vehicles anyway (e.g. MS http://mbca.cartama.net/archive/index.php/t-19772.html), and insurance may not be an issue either.

Thanks!

There are a couple of examples here of US-registered cdis. There is also a fellow who installed a complete cdi drivetrain into a gasoline chassis that was registered for US use. Provided you don't mind the grey market aspect, you could do it. Send smartie yank a private message for more info on 450s in the USA.

Edited by Mike T

I have a 2005 Passion Cabrio cdi. It came from Germany and was registered in Texas. It is possible to get one, I just don't know all the in and outs of process. Mine was handled through a car title attorney in Texas. While an American citizen cannot physically import the vehicle into the U.S. The foreign owner may bring it over for their personal use for extended periods of time. Once the vehicle is in the U.S. it is possible to transfer ownership in some States. Contact a title attorney in your state for further info on how it's done. Mine is full Euro specs. but is NOT for sale. :)

My wife and I might be willing to sell our 2006 passion cdi coupe. It is dark grey on silver trideon, dark and light grey interior. It has every option except leather seats (we're vegetarians) like sunroof, 6-disc cd changer, winter tires, paddle shifters, etc... Right now it has just under 22, 000 kms on it. It gets its regular checkups. We've also done a couple of mods to it. It has neon lights in the interior, put in our own i-pod transmitter, "shark" fin on the roof (is that what they are called? I can't remember), some chrome decal tape on the outside, brake drums and drive shafts are painted red with caliper paint (calipers were painted, but poorly, so we took the paint off and may refinish them when it warms up). We are not quite sure yet if we want to sell it but you can email me on here to ask questions. Also, the picture is from the summer so the shark fin is not on the roof yet, we had not purchased it yet.

post-1180-1201556646_thumb.jpg

Hi, Daurin!That post from the MBCA club forum you cited is mine. There are a couple of hurdles in getting a cdi smart into the US, but you CAN do it legally. Every word in my postings have been exactly as I've experienced.Frankly, I am dissappointed in the 451 Mitsubishi-powered, 30+MPG, American version of the fortwo, but that is mainly because I bought mine for the high-50s MPG avg, and Mercedes Benz powertrain reliability, as well as the fact I can use domestic biodiesel.I like my cdi so much, I too am looking for a second one!PM me if you'd like to discuss any ins/outs of getting one into the US, legally.Cheers,