Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve C.

08 Car Of The Year...

14 posts in this topic

Interesting... <_< But the design... I dunno, it looks like it has the personality of a smooth stone. Nice but boring.Actually, it looks like something made back in the 1960's. The figures are impressive. A five star safety rating. Too bad the smart 451 didn't have side air bags standard in Europe. I would have liked to see its rating then.The smart looks like it has a fun factor in the 451. Fiat's 500 looks like it has a "Wallace & Gromit" factor. It doesn't even look new. Plus, Fiat's 500 doesn't offer a Cabrio.No, (yawn...) It just doesn't do much for me. :sleeping_03anim: BTW: Does Fiat even have a dealership in the U.S. anymore, or did they bail like Renault?-Tom L.

FIATRenaultCitroënPeugeotAlfa-RomeoLancia.......The list of chicken-shit carmakers - formerly here but now gone - that can't compete in N America (or, in the other world view, have left it alone because all the action is in Asia).

Edited by Mike T

They couldn't compete in the old North America---when gas was unrealistically priced like air. It's a new marketplace now and the big old dinosaurs are getting weak legs.I keep hearing rumors of European automakers coming back here to cash in---I believe Alfa Romeo has already confirmed that.As much as I love our smart, I'd trade it in a second for the Fiat 500 with a diesel:

post-56-1201036636_thumb.jpg

I currently own a 1966 Fiat 500, The new 500 is a well thought out car, that resembles the original loved and still loved original car. Fiat had problems with rust in the late seventies in the u.s and had to leave. I also have various Alfa Romeo's, Alfa sold a lot of spiders and had a luxury sedan, Which is my daily driver the 164, but u.s buyers didnt want the drama that goes along with a car that has some heart and soul.( kinda like dating a model) I was Just watching Top gear on TV and they said the same of the modern alfa's , they have soul. I do have a smart on order and hope to be getting my smart soon. 18 hp with the fiat is a little slow, but it sure gets a lot of attentionpost-5351-1201036929_thumb.jpg

During my trip in Europe, I saw maybe 15 of these cars in different situations.To be totally honest, I don't like it. It looks like a 50% overweight Nuova 500. Also, I have never been a fan of car design that openly apes previous designs. To me it is evidence of creative bankruptcy in the designers.I think this car will have limited success after a few years and the novelty wears off. Nostalgia is not a good basis for enduring fashion.

Funny, I think it's one of the best-looking new small cars in a long time."Nostalgia is not a good basis for enduring fashion"? The 911, Beetle and Mustang's sales success would seem to prove otherwise.

Beetle sales are about a quarter or a fifth of what they were when the model was first re-introduced.

Mustangs sell to pony boys with mullets (V8) and 20-ish secretaries (V6), there can be no accounting for those peoples' tastes ;)

The 911 doesn't play the nostalgia card, as it's been a continuously refined design, not a re-introduced front wheel drive version of a formerly rear-engined car.

I like the Fiat. My only concern is typical questionable Italian quality. Italians are known for making some of the best designed cars, unfortunately even with Alfa the quality can be hit or miss .... and at least in Australia service is a pain in the arse and expensive.I could have bought a Fiat 500 or more for the price I'm paying for the Brabus cab but I feel that Smart at least have an original design and will always be in fashion.