smart142

Replace Injectors

37 posts in this topic

My neighbour has had her smart for over 3 years and 85,000kms. In December she had a check engine light come on.I used a scan gauge to record the number.It was a PO303- injector #3 misfire. I cleared the code and then added some injector cleaner and everything was OK.Up till yesterday that is. The check engine light came back and it was the same code. But this time the engine was running rougher. Luckily I had 3 used injectors so I tackled the job.

1. there is a return line that needs to be removed that is on the end of the injectors. Held on by a small clip that is pulled off, see 1st picture

2. the return line can now be pulled from the injector and pushed to the side, see picture 2

3. the electrical connection is a simple push and pull type for removal

4. a 14mm open wrench is needed to loosen and remove the fuel line from the common rail

5. a T40 is needed to remove the large screw that holds the claw clamp to the injector, see picture 3

6. after the claw clamp is removed the injector itself can be removed by twisting it back and forth and pulling. They advise not to use tools of any kind to remove the injectors.

7. a small amount of grease is placed on the replacement injector.

8. a new copper seal washer is placed on the tip end.

9. injector reinserted, claw clamp attached, and then seated with 7nm of torque + 180 degree turn. Fuel line attached and then the return line with the clips. Engine can now be started and the lines, injector checked for leaks.

I spent about 2 hours doing the job. Lots of pre cleaning, carefull dissasembly and taking pictures. I was lucky that the used injector I obtained was very clean and is functioning perfectly :yahoo:

post-35-1201062022_thumb.jpg

post-35-1201062126_thumb.jpg

post-35-1201062160_thumb.jpg

post-35-1201062205_thumb.jpg

post-35-1201062373_thumb.jpg

post-35-1201062418_thumb.jpg

post-35-1201062466_thumb.jpg

Now that is an all-star effort. How do you think their old injector is for condition, could it be cleaned up and reused? Albeit, it sounds like you can only clean it externally, since you can't rebuild it at this time. But can you soak it? Spray some cleaner through it?The old one looks kinda gunky.... how many more kms were on it since the 85,000 km injector clean additive? Did they continue to use any?My coupe had a slight rough idle around 90,000 kms, and Howes Meaner Power Kleaner got it running fine within 100 kms... never had the issue return, and at 120,000 kms, it was still going strong.

Oh, should ask too, from left to right or right to left for cylinder #'s, as you are looking at the engine from behind the car?

How soon that Steven forgets that we are talking cdi here- diesels!

I was told by the local diesel rebuilders that they can't check the cdi injectors because they don't have the electrical equipment to operate the injector. They also said that Bosch is not selling the tips.

In the old days that injector could have been cleaned up and with a new tip would have made it as good as new.

At some point I think we will see reconditioned injectors on the market.

Looking at the engine from the rear, the #1 injector is on the far right- closest to the oil fill cap.So from the left it is 3, 2, 1.

Excellent post, thank you. I pray the internet gods allow this site and it's archive to remain long enough for me to find this when my baby needs it!

The smart CDI injectors have a tapered pintle - and a very close tolerance - and you need specialized equipment to do the tapered grinding needed (it ain't your average jig boring machine!) - so definately not something the average shop can do - a few places are doing Cummings CDI - but they are a bit different. Surprised some one else isn't making these aftermarked - maybe Bosch has a patent or something.I may just scoop a few low mileage injectors myself to hedge bets - all it takes is one batch of crud fuel and you get nailed for a big bill! What I am really hoping is some bright sort will come out with a retro-fit piezo injector and electronics - about the only way you can squeeze fuel any harder than the car does now!Cheers,Cameron

My # 3 has a intermittent miss, shoes up on the code every couple of days. All this started after I changed the fuel filter :(Any solution to help clean them @ $ 750 each is a little extreme

Probably best to replace the offending injector. :D

I have used injectors for sale from Germany...$325, or these ones...click here.

I have three used injectors from my very low mileage spare engine. Keeping them for now, but when I received the engine I did some disassembly to prep everything for storage, I took the fuel system to Fred Holmes here in Richmond to have it all flushed out with test fluid (much better for storage than diesel) and they had no trouble testing the injectors. Don't know if they can get the tips, but they can certainly work with them. If the tips are available in Europe I would imagine they could be obtained here if there is enough demand. I'm pretty sure they are already peizo, that's what the tech at Fred Holmes said.

Fred Holmes is great, they did my 6 NOS Peugeot 404 injectors too. They even have flow benches for mechanical injection pumps and Kugelfischer tooling. You are right, test fluid is much better than diesel for injector storage. Everyone storing injectors should do this, and then double or triple seal them in ziploc bags....otherwise they're likely to go bad.

The piezio ones I was refering to are the ones that are fast enough to fire several more cycles per combustion than the CDI ones - pretty new stuff but once they get it sorted you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between a gas and diesel car (aside from the mileage).Cheers,Cameron

http://www.dieseljones.co.uk/common-rail-i...0445110022.html

Old post I know, but I thought I'd add this incase anyone was searching through....I found remanufactured ones here in the UK. I paid approx. $340 with shipping to AB. It took about 5 business days, and they gave a $90 core deposit when I sent my bad one back. So about $250 each.

It kills me what they can get away with for shipping in Europe and the UK. I just priced the complete PowerFlex bushing kit, which fits a standard Manila envelope and weighs less than five pounds. The cheapest shipping was $65 for "economy - 4 to 6 weeks" to $143 for "standard" (whatever that means)So they want $185 for an injector, but it's $250 shipped (after core charge processing)? $65 is a lot for a 600 gram item the size of half a Popsicle!

Yes, and think it will be worst by the next years. If the fuel price is growing for our car, it's the same for planes fuel! Eh! That's what is happen when we use a limited ressource to bringing to us our stuff! The good thing in this fact: there's a time where it will be cheaper to buy local rebuilt injectors! ;)

That still doesn't justify the shipping fees they charge us; I can send the same item back to Europe or the UK for less than $30. For $65 it will get there within 36 hours.

I just ordered the other 2 from them. Altogether 2 injectors with shipping was $616. Of that $55 was shipping, and $92.50 per injector core charge. When I return my 2 old injectors they refund me $185. So actual cost of the injectors are $188 each. The first injector I sent back I shipped regular mail through Canada post, and it was $17 I believe (they are pretty heavy for their size). So I guess if you factor in the shipping costs and everything: $616+$17 return shipping = $633 - $185 core return = $224 each.In other words, you can replace all 3 injectors for less than the cost of a new one. These injectors are remanufactured and tested, and are even cleaned, they look pretty much new. And like I said, it took about 5 days for delivery. 3 days from UK to Calgary, 2 of those days it took to get from Calgary to Grande Prairie, not sure why.

My neighbour has had her smart for over 3 years and 85,000kms. In December she had a check engine light come on.I used a scan gauge to record the number.It was a PO303- injector #3 misfire. I cleared the code and then added some injector cleaner and everything was OK.Up till yesterday that is. The check engine light came back and it was the same code. But this time the engine was running rougher. Luckily I had 3 used injectors so I tackled the job.1. there is a return line that needs to be removed that is on the end of the injectors. Held on by a small clip that is pulled off, see 1st picture2. the return line can now be pulled from the injector and pushed to the side- picture 23. the electrical connection is a simple push and pull type for removal4. a 14mm open wrench is needed to loosen and remove the fuel line from the common rail5. a T40 is needed to remove the large screw that holds the claw clamp to the injector-picture 36. after the claw clamp is removed the injector itself can be removed by twisting it back and forth and pulling. They advise not to use tools of any kind to remove the injectors.7. a small amount of grease is placed on the replacement injector.8. a new copper seal washer is placed on the tip end.9. injector reinserted, claw clamp attached, and then seated with 7nm of torque + 180 degree turn. Fuel line attached and then the return line with the clips. Engine can now be started and the lines,injector checked for leaks.I spent about 2 hours doing the job. Lots of pre cleaning, carefull dissasembly and taking pictures.I was lucky that the used injector I obtained was very clean and is functioning perfectly :yahoo:

Hi ,I am looking for a fuel injecter for my fortwo 450 cdi.. Please can you help me to find one for sale....Thanks,Joe.

2 hours ago, GreenBombLittleChickie said:

Hi all,

Just wondering how you got your tips off? Mine are super tight.

Extreme force and some tapping to help loosen them  I have even used heat(propane only)   IF you are stuck....ask.

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, GreenBombLittleChickie said:

Do the copper rings need to be replaced also?

Did you use ultrasonics also?

Yes and yes....