Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rrrucke

Regina's Smart Life

144 posts in this topic

Congrats Regina!! Yippee...finally!!! I'm hoping to get my new baby next month. Oooo...just TRY to wipe the smile off her face...yeah...anybody...just TRY!!!Enjoy...and make sure you tell us ALL about it!! Can't wait to hear.

:D Bring it on!

Headline:

Jerseyites Follow Screaming Woman into Manhatten

Headline:

Smart Woman Goes Berserk

Headline:

Mother Leaves Daughter Behind When Getting New Car

Hey Girlfriend...Your excitement takes me back many years ago to the day i picked mine up, i was almost shaking, couldnt believe it was finally here (this was waaayyyy back in late '04, when smart sightings were few and far between). I had looked at it for around a year being used as a display car in a mall inside a bell phone store, waited anxiously to find out if it was going to even make it here, and had gone to the dealership so many times to keep putting a little more on my deposit here and there.The saleswoman got used to seeing me come down just to talk about any updates when i happenned to be "in the area". (i always seemed to find an excuse). Then a few weeks before it was to be delivered, i got a call asking if id like to have the demo car overnight, to really get a look and feel for it. I was stunned and soooo excited (the saleswoman was awesome, oakville must miss her). I drove that thing for hours, you should have seen the looks and stares (better get used to that for a while). The questions were constant. Kids waved. Adults were, for the most part, surprised and full of questions. I would say 99% was "thumbs up". There was the occcassional "what the hell is that?", but i didnt care.I went to return it, figured i'd fill the tank for her for letting me have it, and put in a full $11. worth of diesel. I was checking over and over that there wasnt a problem. What tank only needed $11.? (fuel wasnt quite as costly back in oct '04). The day i went to pick mine up, all the emotion of waiting finally came to a head, i almost cried before leaving the oakville dealership i couldnt believe i was taking my baby home, and didnt need to return it...this one was mine.There was a lot more to this, which was documented in an article that was published in smartimes magazine, but the bottom line was that, it was here, it was mine, my long wait was over, and i spent days looking for any excuse to go somewhere. I was an enthusiast and a smart junkie long before i got my first one, continuing through to my second one, and even with the few quirks, i still love my little car, still love going to buffalo for day trips with it (takes me back to the old days when people had tons of questions). It may have been more like an 80-20 split for the love hate thing for american gazers of the car, but 8 out of 10 was still good. You may have the odd detractor thinking its too small, the most common thing will be "is it safe"? "can you go on the highway with it"? and of course, "is that electric"?Your enthusiasm since you have been a member on here is exactly what this little car deserves. So many people on here who have met you at Niagara Cruise, etc., know of your love of the car, and its not surprising in the least to see so many folks wishing you luck with it, and being so happy for you, now that the wait is over. When i drove down to meet you that morning, go over the car with you so you wouldnt be stuck on anything, and met you and your daughter, i was sure you were going to be great for the car, and the club. And i take great happinness in wishing you many, many years of safe, happy motoring with it. Congrats !! A car couldnt have a nicer owner. Look forward to seeing you shortly (Niagara this year???). Kind regards, Steve.

woo hoo way to go Regina. so happy for you. Tried to tell you yesterday but my virus update was running and I couldn't post but here I am now saying wow.Make sure you don't burn rubber peeling outa the dealers take it easy on the wee thing till she gets broke in.Get your cuss words ready when some idiot splashes a puddle on her and most of all get some sleep so you don't look so bleary eyed in your first shots (the way the rest of us did) the smile of course hides a lot and that is a given.ONLY TWO MORE SLEEPS :D Karen

Anita, thanks for understanding this stupid grin on my face. I can't help but be happy!Cmdr: News Bulletin - "Stop that Woman, she's emptied our accessories display!!"Steve: Thanks for all the well wishes and info on your smart back story. Tardis: I haven't slept well since 1/07 when USA Today announced the Smart Launch for 1/08.Regina

Edited by rrrucke

Congrats, Regina! I know your Saturday is going to be a blast! I hope I'm not terribly far down the line for my delivery as well. I know there are probably many hundreds ahead of me in line, but I'm hoping to be a 'February customer' of my area dealer. :rolleyes: Can't wait to hear all your experiences and see your pix. Have fun tomorrow!!Best wishes from the Tarheel State!Wayne

Today marks the day of my official notification to "Come Get Your Smart" as per smart center Edison. Saturday marks the day for my delivery and I am over the moon with excitement! Although it's ready today, I don't want to take delivery in the dark so Saturday it is. Wish me luck and more to come on this thread of my Smart Life. ;)

Ya hoo!I needed Ian when I got mine. I checked nothing! I am old but not mature! Although I have had several new cars, somehow I was a basket case when it arived. Here is what was wrong with the dealer prep on mine:I let them put the plates on, Front plate was falling off when I got home.Tire pressure on the snowies they put on, not close.The summer tires fit in the back. They were in bags, but filthy. [ getting picky maybe]There are suposed to be anchors screwed into th floor for the mats. Not done.On the plus side they filled the tank full!On my side I overreved it fiddling with paddles etc. I say drive with the stick at first and breathe slowly! Enjoy!!!!

Congrats Regina! I also thought that naming my smart was important. It seemed to have a personality, so it needed a name. Also when anyone asks me who the hell I'm talking to I can say something like "Lightey, of course" and leave them puzzled rather than "My smart car" and leave them reaching for a 911 call.Once you name your baby, you might want to let everyone know his/her name. I used www.decalkits.com for my Lightey decal and I had no complaints with their product or service.Let us know ...

Hey Gang,Well it's been a good smart day to say the least. Now, yesterday could have been a whole lot better. Come to find out, my loan docs were screwed up so no smartie until February 4. But I have made peace with this delay and I hope my CsC buddies will embrace this concept as well.Current mood = :rolleyes: (because I'm still over the moon over this car)Here's why...I advised Danny Wong (my tried and true smart customer care coordinator) about the delay and he couldn't have been more sweeter and understanding. In fact, he was very disappointed for me despite all my nagging on the delivery date. Anyway, he told me to come on down anyway and see my little baby. I thought this was a sweet gesture so I decided to take the opportunity to meet up with the Parts and Service Managers too (more on that later).When I arrived at SC Edison, I saw the new sign up on the outside wall and it was very impression in white lettering against the black back drop. Anyway, I parked the TL, popped out my Robin Thicke CD and headed inside. I was greeted by Danny and lots of smarts. There must have been eight on the showroom floor (which is on two levels) and there were a couple outside. First up, I saw the tomatoe red and said an inner prayer of thanks that I didn't select this color but that's not to say that others can't like it. Well, as I'm gawking at the cars...Danny said, "Regina, there's yours up there." And at first it didn't register but when I repeated his words inside my head, I immediately felt like a proud parent upon seeing their lovely adoptive child. On the second level at center stage was my SMARTIE!!!!She's blue with black tridion and nice & shiney! As we walked up to her on a crystal white cloud (also known as the floor), Danny veers off to his desk and I begin the slow amazing saunter around the car. I notice a huge sign on it which says, "PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH!" Then Danny says, "Here's the key, Regina. I made sure it was locked up tight just for you!" He said it like it was nothing but it meant the world to me. It was the key to my dreams come true. MY GOD THAT FEELING WAS FABULOUS!!! I click on the key fob and all the doors opened. I opened the driver's door and got in. The interior black and off-grey was really nice but I can see myself swapping the grey rings offer the tach/clock and the main arch over the steering wheel to a solid black. The leather seats were comfortable, the dash was sleek and not cheap looking and the ragtop looked awesome. I asked Danny if I could start the car and he said yes. So of course, it started up like a sleeping kitchen and the first thing I did was pop in Robin Thicke to set the mood up right. After gawking at all the knobs and such, I put down the top and looked out the rearview mirror. I realized then, it was going to take some getting use to the more condensed view. Anyway, I jumped out the car and Danny started giving me instructions on how to operate the fundamentals. I learned how to take the rails off, how to load and unload them in the boot, how to remove the hood and to locate the washer fluid. He also taught me how to open the boot and to make sure the tray door for holding the rails is closed properly as well as the gate. Anyway, he let me fool around with the car at my leisure and once I was done, I asked if I could take a test drive and he said, "Of course!"As I was walking away from my smartie, Danny had to remind me to lock it. To my surprise, it made the cutiest little sound and the lights flashed for a bit and then went off. I responded by asking Danny, "I thought there was no audible sound when locking the car...at least that is what one of my online club buddies stated." Danny explained that with the comfort package, they include the sound bite which is a wonderful feature to have so you know your car has been locked.Now we head outside and I drive his demo which he uses on a 30 mile commute every day. He's so funny. He said, "I forget that I'm driving a smart until someone pulls up along side of me to gawk, point or wildly gesture." Anyway, we get in, I adjust the mirror and seat and Danny sets up his MP3 Disc to a Robin Thicke song and off we go!While in automatic mode, we get on the expressway and I immediately feel the lag after he explains there is a distinctive one between gears. However I asked him, if I learn how to accelerate correctly by applying the right amount of pressure to the gas pedal can I diminish that feeling and he said yes. Which made me smile. I'm used to a 6 cylinder luxury car and flooring it for a quick and steady acceleration but I can adjust to a slower, yet steady increase in speed.Anyway, we drove the same Road Show route and the day was a nice overcast kind of day and not too cold at all. Danny even let me put the roof down (at his suggestion and he was wearing a polo shirt). I protested but he said go ahead and he turned the heat up and off we went. What a blast (a little chilly I think -- but my smiles kept me warm). I put the top down well before we got back to the dealership. One thing I noticed was how quiet the car was but I also realized I need those back speakers for a more rounded sound.When we got back, I thanked him and he told me where to drive to meet up with Parts & Service. Of course, I told him that I'll probably be in on the 4th (Monday) instead of the 9th (Saturday) because I don't think I can't wait that long. He just laughed and said, "I'll see ya soon."As I headed back to the TL, I started looking for my keys but I couldn't find them. As I approached the car, I saw them in the ignition. Then I realized the car was still ON!!! Can you believe that? I was so excited to see the cars and I prided myself on how calm I was going to conduct myself and low and behold, I left my car running. I felt stupid but shrugged it off to the experience.So now I drive over to this MASSIVE Parts & Service Center down the road. SC Edison sits on probably 7-8 acres. When I walked inside...at front and center stage was a blue/silver cabrio. You had to walk around it just to get to their front desk which is manned by at least 4 well dressed people. I then look around and see a state of the art Internet Cafe, Several Pool Tables, Flat Screen TVs and more. Come to find out they have food set up all day, a quiet room, a kids room and other things to keep you busy as you wait for your high end car (MB, Lexus, Jags, Infinity, Ferrari, Maserati, etc). I felt like I was visiting Life Styles of the Rich and Famous!!Anyway, I met up with Tommy (Parts Mgr) and we spent some valuable time together. He had my list of parts that I wanted all ready. He also made me feel like family and he was so accommodating that he printed the entire Parts list with prices. He also said he would contact me as soon as the Brabus parts are in because I want upgraded rims and I'm doing comparisom pricing. They are also in the process of contacting UK Parts folks to get different panel colors to offer as additional options. When we spoke of panels, he remembered that I wanted an unpainted set and he said they all come painted so we agreed he would get me a black set. One thing I must say, Tommy is a honest Joe. When he printed the price list, I pointed out that they were slightly higher than the Parts brochure pages that he also printed for me. He said, "What, those are incorrect and I told them to list them at the MSRP figures and not with our usual mark up. No matter, I'll make sure you get the MSRP and nothing else." I told him I was impressed by his honesty and willingness to correct the situation.When I met up with Glen (Service Mgr) he was just as friendly. We talked about all the items I have coming in from Europe to enhance the look of the car. (More on that later). Most importantly, I asked him with all the changes I have in mind (which are cosmetic right now), I want to make sure these changes won't void my warranty. He told me they wouldn't which made me happy. As we were going over all the work I wanted done, he offered FOR FREE to swap my panels when it comes time to get the new painted panels installed and he's going to bubble wrap my blue ones for storage. This of course floored me. He said I could be his geniea pig to figure out how long it will actually take to do the swap. He also offered to do my paint job and to put the 3M Invisible wrap on the entire front end, front quarter panel and side mirrors. He will also do a hard wire install for my GPS on top of the dash as well as the extra set of speakers I want in the back. He told me not to worry about the cost because we would work something out since I was his first smart customer. Wow! A one stop shop is my dream. He also said, all the work will be certified. Needless to say, I was very impressed. He plans to make some calls for me on Monday so we can get the ball rolling.So, that was my day. Feeled with wonderful meet and greets, being treated like a very special someone, seeing candy colored smarts, and best of all, seeing my smart all ready just for me. Nothing can top this day until I get my smartie home.Regina :lol:

As I headed back to the TL, I started looking for my keys but I couldn't find them. As I approached the car, I saw them in the ignition. Then I realized the car was still ON!!! Can you believe that? I was so excited to see the cars and I prided myself on how calm I was going to conduct myself and low and behold, I left my car running. I felt stupid but shrugged it off to the experience.

That's so funny. I love it, smarts really steal our attention, don't they?Sorry to hear you didn't get to take it home today. But, all in all, it sounds like it was a great dealer experience anyway. What a great service manager! Edited by gotwavs

:angry: Sorry to hear about the delay for you, Regina, in getting your smart. But, what super treatment you were given by the folks at the dealership. Fantastic! What are you having done in terms of the new panels? We got the cover for the car, and it has been very useful. It really helps to keep DR MAP nice and shiny! Now, you have a week to think of a name for your smart. Will look forward to reading more when she arrives! :) Alberta

Hey Regina, What a day! Wow! :D Bummer about the paperwork, but at least everyone at the dealer sounds like they've got their act together. That's excellent! I hope my delivery day goes as good as yours did, even if you weren't able to take 'er home for the time being.Congratulations again, even if your smartie isn't in your garage yet! It will be in its new home soon, though. :) see ya,Wayne

Not much to say except congratulations on your new car and what seems to be the best dealership experience anyone has had.

What a great story! Hopefully that will be mine come Feb. 11! Or sooner. smartcenterJacksonville get ready. SMRT4-2 is on the way.

Hey Regina,Great news and story! Sounds like you have the ultimate dealership. Did you get the alarm option? I ask because you said the smart chirped when you locked it.Enjoy,Tom

Hey, Regina.I first want to say, "Thank you," for all your compassionate posts. I feel very, very much like you, yet I don't get here enough to show my enthusiasm as you do. But, if you were to ask my family (son hates it and I was so hoping he'd react like other young'uns here) or anyone I work with (they'd probably say I'm a lunatic), you would know where my heart lies when it comes to the smart. I hope you don't mind that you are my virtual smart experience. So, thanks, again, for all you've done here.I really don't know how I will react when I finally get my smart, but I can definitely envision myself taking the keys and driving off as though it had been returned to me after a theft. Otherwise, I'll just be too emotional to cope, so I may call on a fellow member to join me so that I - 1. stay sane; 2. drive (shaking) safely home. But, this is quite a ways off, so back to pre-fortwo life.Congratulations! :cheer: and don't forget to say :icon_mrgreen:

Oh Peter, sorry to hear your experience wasn't as exceptional as it should have been but no sweat...you've got a smart!"Lightey", I love it on the back of your car. Nice touch. I checked out the website but I didn't see the raised chrome lettering. I gotta go back and look at it again. It was after midnight when I looked at it.Gotwavs, The Service Mgr Glen was very sweet and he gave me all that attention while he was suppose to be at their on-premise Porshe convention/get together or something. I mean the guy was with me 20 mins and he gave me no sign he had to be anywhere but with me. It was really a surprising moment of time and one I won't forget.Alberta, I am really perplexed about the name. Now that I have seen my little smartie, I thought a name would have popped into my head. A few have but nothing has stuck. Anyway, time is real short so I better get to popping. BTW, glad to hear about your cover. Where did you get it and what was the total shipped to your door?Wayne, seeing your avatar makes me warm inside because that's how my smartie looked in blue/black. Very nice in person and yes, their spot is all picked out in my garage. I can't wait to put the TL outside even though I have a two car garage. I just don't want anything to distract me from seeing my smart when I have those first days of opening the garage door and seeing my baby smile at me. :)Dan it was the ultimate dealership experience and I left there empty handed. However, I had the biggest grin on my face and my soul felt good. Way to go Edison!Hey Cmdr, I can't wait until you get your smrt 4-2 as well. Won't it be fun planning our first cross broder Meet & Greet!! I can't wait to see the 450s and 451s together!Hi Tom, I definitely got the alarm but I didn't mess with it other than to lock the car up with the key fob thingy. The chirp was real cute as well as the front yellow lights which twinkled along with the white lights. It really looked like the car winked at me! U know like wishing me a good journey and glad we met. Corny but true.Smarted Up - thanks for letting me know that I had you at hello! We smart souls have to stick together. I must say that I do go on about the car and my posts are too long at times but I just can't help it. I really feel for this car and how it truly represents me. Mike T - always to the point. Nope, no pixs until delivery.Awesys from your mouth to God's ears. Waiting another week is going to prove that this car has taught me extreme patience. But in the end it will be worth it. Just like how the time has zoomed by since I reserved the car. Thanks everybody for responding to my post, Regina

Edited by rrrucke

Hi Regina, Cliff thinks that our car cover was about $180 Cdn in 2006 and was obtained from the dealer. Maybe one of the smart parts dealers will have a less costly price? I'll think about names and send a PM with suggestions. :) Alberta

Wow, that truly is a great dealership experience even though you have to wait another week!! Hats off to SC Edison!

Alberta, Edison sells the car cover for $169 but I saw one on the net for $95 (which included shipping to the US). I'll have to go and locate that again.Nextourer, yeah Edison is full of wonderful surprises!!

I can't beleive you have to wait even longer! It's not fair! If anyone, YOU deserve to have your car ASAP.

Jon, It's funny but I don't mind the wait. I might even surprise myself and pick it up on Saturday 2/9. Who knows, I just feel good knowing that my smartie is waiting for me like I have been waiting for her. No worries man....I'm HAPPY!!! :)

Hah! We're starting to narrow it down. You called your smartie "her" ... so she's a girl!That should cut down on the names we have to think about :D:girlpower: