Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rustynut01

My 16 Yr Old New Driver In My Smart

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone elected to have their cars speed govenor turned from 135 to 105? My son is a new driver, and I know what I was like at that age. For his protection, and the protection of my insurance premium, I thought I'd get the smart speed electronically reduced in speed. What did MB charge?

I don't believe that has ever come up! There is an aftermarket cruise that will allow you to set the limiter, and I think if you hid the instructions that it is sufficiently complex that he wouldn't be able to undo it easily.You do realize he'll just be doing 105 in all the 50 zones, right?:D

Yeah there are aftermarket limiters (and trackers!) that you can attach to the car. You can have it beep you (on the computer if the program is running, e-mail or text you) when the car leaves a certain area (e.g. if you told him to stay within the city limits) or exceeds a certain speed (e.g. 105km/h).

If your son is that bad, maybe he shouldn't be driving at all? Have a good chat with him.The cdi is so damned slow that it takes all year and then some to hit 135, which is only 25 over BC's highest limit anyway.

If you are that worried about his driving then a conversation is needed. We used our smart as a safe vehicle for our daughter to start out driving in.You might want to include every MPH over the limit on a ticket = a week without driving. Judge Judy is a softie! :P

Sounds more like they can get a break on insurance if they can limit to 105 so its a cost issue rather than a behaviour one. That said, the 450 smarts are FAR from sporty at 100km/h+.DDR

...You haven't driven with me, then. :)If you can't trust him to follow the speed limit, don't let him drive until he can buy his own car.-Iain

I know that this doesn't directly answer your question, but can snoop on his driving using a ScanGuage. It stores up max speed, RPM, coolant temps etc. You could check to see how the car is being driven that way. If the data was ever blank, you'd know that he was erasing it!Just a thought...

That's a really good point!

My son is a new driver, and I know what I was like at that age.

We went through this with my barely one-year-old Elantra five-door last October. My son was driving my wife to the drug store, not paying attention as he was turning, he met up with an SUV, demolished the front corner, tire damaged, door wouldn't open. He did a pretty good job of it. Nobody was hurt. I got the phone call at home, ran down the block to check on them, spit out a lung halfway there.Good news -- he took responsibility and insisted on going to the collision reporting centre on his own, with the tow truck driver. Naturally, the tow truck driver hooked him up with a garage that had a rental car. So he was home by midnight, car tucked into a service bay, and a Toyota Yaris waiting for my credit card number. (I would have handled it differently, eg. service at my dealer, but he handled it, and I had a ride to work next day paid for by insurance.)Bad news -- his premium doubled. We can expect it to drop somewhat after he has his next license level (we have graduated licensing) and he has an accident free year.Hindsight being 20-20, you might sit down with your son and show him all the insurance statements and what it is costing to add him to your policy. Charge him a portion that he can realistically afford each month. If he has an accident that increases your insurance, increase his rate accordingly.In our case, we weren't charging him for insurance -- we included it in his rent that he was paying since he had taken a year off after HS to work before university. The accident bumped his rate from $1200 to $2400 as an occasional driver on our two vehicles. Post accident... his rent went up $100 per month to offset our costs.Hope I'm not being a but-insky.G

It costs $25 a year to add a driver like that to a policy here in BC! Post-collision, who knows, probably one accident is "free" at least that's what I think it is here.The other strategy is to have a less desirable car for junior to drive. My Peugeot 405 will be that for my son. My oldest daughter drives the Mercedes and smart everywhere, but then again, girls/young women don't usually get on a testosterone high (unless they're from the old East Germany ;)).

Hes a good kid, I'm sure he'll do fine. But temptation to go over the limit will gets us all. I didnt want to spend 200 on a scan gauge if it can be done for 40 at mb. That would be silly. (Like buying a scan gauge to save on fuel) Even if it saves you a whole litre for 100 kms, you would have to drive 10 years to pay it off. Yup i'm cheap but the cars paid for. Thanks all for replying.

I didnt want to spend 200 on a scan gauge if it can be done for 40 at mb. That would be silly. (Like buying a scan gauge to save on fuel) Even if it saves you a whole litre for 100 kms, you would have to drive 10 years to pay it off.

The scan gauge will also help you determine what that check engine light means when it comes on and has the ability to clear it. I like to be armed with knowledge when I take Gina to the dealer. For that reason alone I feel that the scan gauge has more than paid for itself.My 16 and 18 year old daughters both want to learn to drive this year :zoink: