Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey

Mikey's Car Delivered

19 posts in this topic

Well we drove down to Sarasota, Florida (62 miles) yesterday 1/26/08 to pick up my Smart Passion. My wife drove us down there from Largo. It is about an hours drive. She has a Scion Xb.

The dealership is "Wilde Jaguar of Sarasota". They had about 8 to 10 Smarts of all colors. Any way it has every option I ordered and I love it. Driving home was a real kick. I told my wife not to go here usual 80 to 85 miles per hour as the Smart had only 12 miles on it. We went between 60 and 72 miles per hour all the way home. It handled great and drove like a dream. The shifting from a stand still will take some getting use to.

I have some disappointments in the cost and the dealership. The car came without floor mats and I had to pay for them. I got the rubber ones. In addition the dealership charged me $645.00 Destination fee, $489.50 for dealer prep, cleaning, fueling, preparing documentation. There is a charge (in Florida) for waste tire/lead acid batter, which is $6.50, State Sales tax was $1,010.30, and License plate transfer charge was $125.00.

I was shocked that there is no way to attach my Florida tag to the car as the dealership did not have a bracket to allow this to be accomplished. They will mail me one when they get it.

I wanted to purchase a spare wheel and tire but the dealership wanted $489.00 for them and then wanted to charge me to mount the tire and balance it.

I wanted the "Smart Extended service plan" but was told that there was some problem selling this in Florida. The dealers had their own plan but it was over $1,200.00 for 4 years and the Smart plan is: $695.00. They said I should be able to purchase the Smart plan when it comes available in Florida.

Hopefully when the Clearwater dealership opens I can get better assistance and responses.

Bottom line I really like the car and WOW it makes my house look like a mansion (ha ha)

post-4390-1201459179_thumb.jpg

post-4390-1201459193_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikey

Congratulations!You should write to PAG about your experience at the dealership. I am sure they'll want to know.

Hey Mikey! Mikey likes it!Congrats on the new arrival. I've had my new 451 for 2 weeks now and loving it. I sure am jealous of those Florida pics. It's been -30 deg. C. (-22 F.) here for a week straight. I can't wait for summer to see how this thing really performs and to get some realistic mileage figures.Enjoy,Tom

Congratulations on your new delivery, Mikey!I have a question regarding your license tag bracket info. Were you talking about the rear license tag needing a bracket that the dealership didn't have, or were you referring to a bracket for a front bumper tag? I wasn't sure if Florida requires you to display a front tag or not.That would be a downer if the dealer couldn't even manage to put a tag on the rear of the car. I'll keep that in mind as my delivery date approaches, hopefully within a few weeks.And I know it's been a while since I bought a car, but how much is Florida's vehicle tax? Is it 7 percent sales tax? Man, I'm going to have to do a little checking up here, so I don't get surprised on that at delivery time. From what I've read on CsC, I was figuring on the Destination Fee to be about the same as yours, and I figured Dealer prep would likely be a few hundred or so, and then all the licensing and Doc fees. I don't know why buying anything nowadays has to have so much hidden costs. :angry: Anyways, congratulations on that new baby in the driveway. :D See ya,wayneo66

I have some disappointments in the cost and the dealership. The car came without floor mats and I had to pay for them. I got the rubber ones. In addition the dealership charged me $645.00 Destination fee, $489.50 for dealer prep, cleaning, fueling, preparing documentation. There is a charge (in Florida) for waste tire/lead acid batter, which is $6.50, State Sales tax was $1,010.30, and License plate transfer charge was $125.00.I was shocked that there is no way to attach my Florida tag to the car as the dealership did not have a bracket to allow this to be accomplished. They will mail me one when they get it.

:lol: That's hysterical!

Bottom line I really like the car and WOW it makes my house look like a mansion (ha ha)

Too bad you some dissatisfaction with the dealer. It is beyond me how a dealer has the nerve to charge for mats when a customer (1) buys a brand new car (2) gets it all tricked out with options and in this case (3) travels a great distance to pick it up, and -- in the case of most 451 owners -- (4) waited a long time for the car.Heck, my Hyundai dealer threw in the mats.Any how, it sounds like you're having fun!

Hooray Mikey on your delivery! Glad to see your in the smart saddle now. But I'm sorry about the stealership moves the dealer put on you. Definitely report that to MB, smart.com and PAG. In the meantime, Enjoy the ride. Regina

Congrats Mikey on getting your smart! It sounds as though that dealer is very unready and disorganized. When we picked up our smart on April 6, 2006, one of the things that we were given was a "New Vehicle Presentation Certification". This was a long list of things which the technician and someone from the sales department were to complete indicating that they'd checked these items and found them to be OK. Among the items on the list were "Check / correc tire pressure / torque heel bots, install hubcaps" and "Install floor mats". There was a road test and after road test checks. The form and items were then gone over with us, and it was signed by the technician, our sales person, and me and my husband. While this was a Mercedes-Benz Canada form, you'd think that there must be some communication about practices and procedures. Definitely let Mercedes and Penske know of your dissatisfaction in those areas.We also had the additions of freight & PDI, an administration fee, as well as significant taxes. Our modest license fee of $100 was cancelled out by the fuel tax credit in place at that time. Anyway, hope that you enjoy the car! :) Alberta

Congratulations Mikey!.........I would be reporting your experience to someone for sure, have fun with your smart.

This will be my third new car, and neither of the other two came with floor mats, either. I think it's becoming an industry standard thing, unfortunately. The destination charge is constant across the US - it's not a ding by the dealership (although the other sure sound like it).

Mikey - congrats - enthusiastic comments from you folks with new ones almost makes me want to go ahead and get a 2nd one already. Enjoy!Tom - we were up in your area for a week last September - enjoyed it. Picked up a few oil filters from the dealer parts/service shop there. Nice folks. You could have kept the way below zero weather up there rather than exporting it south.DarrylAlbert Lea MN (Minn not Man)

This will be my third new car, and neither of the other two came with floor mats, either. I think it's becoming an industry standard thing, unfortunately. The destination charge is constant across the US - it's not a ding by the dealership (although the other sure sound like it).

At least in the US.In Canada, carpet mats are standard. (Not on the smart though but on most other cars)

hey cool carThe one you got looks like the one i ordered :) mine is still in production.. but it should be ready sometime by the end of february or begining of march..What the heck is on the tree ? Or the tree reacting to your new car too ? :lol: The one i ordered is almost the same color, except mine has a different interior theme. I'll post some pictures when i get mine.Meanwhile. i was wondering if you could post more and more pictures ? especially what it looks like when the black is dirty :lol: If you happen to take pictures anywhere (city, shopping centers parking lots etc..) that could be funny... because i wonder what my Black smart will look like next other cars..For your info, i paid mine 21500 (taxes, prep included) only the license plate is not included cuz that fee doesnt go to the dealer.On top, i have to pay 1000.00 every year for the insurance and 1000.00 for a parking lot at work and 800.00 for a parking lot next to my house. i live and work in a city so parking lots aren't free :)Then im guessing i will probably have to pay 400+ /year for the maintenanceSo i really hope the car worth it.And i have a question. I know that the car supposed to be fun to drive but is it alot more fun or just a little more fun ?Anyway, grats !

Here in TN my Passion coupe had a "Customer Service Fee" (prep, etc.) of $395, the added three year, 36k warranty was $995, tax was $351.01, tag $75 for a total of $18,746.01, out the door and on the road. Being a MB dealer the form also had a $399 "Protection Package" that they had invoiced, but when I pointed out it was plastic and powder paint they waived it. Actually a very nice dealer experience. In my 63 years I have bought 76 other cars before this, many used but probably over two dozen new and this was a painless and easy experience. I would gladly send potential customers to MB of Knoxville.It now has 300 miles, no interstates, lots of curves and hills and it blows away the Gen1 smart Euro cars I road tested. Firmer ride, smoother shift, feels like it accelerates better, quieter (but the road testers were rode hard and put away wet). I LIKE IT!Now if I can figure how to hook my XM to the mp3 plug I'd be all set. Sure wish they had had the diesel option, but I feel good having the first one in Tennessee.

Well I have been working on getting the spare tire situation settled. I ordered a steel rim from "Flying Tiger". Eddy seems really helpful and responds quickly. I will purchase an inexpensive tire to mount on the wheel (spare only). I ordered a cover from Mill Ponds to carry it all in so it won't smell up the interior of the car. I think I will order the electric jack that one of the folks recommended.Do not know what lug nut wrench to get so working that out.Someone mentioned a “Block” are you speaking of a wedge of wood or something?My BIG questions remain is how do you change this (even for short drive) with all the monitoring devices on each wheel? Disable them? Will it hurt the car or warranty?I would really appreciate any input from some of you with the experience under your belt.Thank you all and I have been ill so not doing much traveling but it is parked outside my window to enjoy.

Edited by Mikey