Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom P.

451 Interior Trunk Dimensions

14 posts in this topic

I took some detailed measurements of the 451's trunk area today. Sorry to those who like metric but I'm old school when it comes to measurements so inches it is.

Note: all measurements were taken with both the driver and passenger seats in their fully back positions.

Trunk width at floor: 39.5"

Trunk width at 12" up from floor: 41"

Trunk height: 27.5"

Trunk depth from tailgate to back of driver's seat: 23"

Trunk depth from tailgate to back of passenger's seat: 21" (pass. seat reclined a bit)

Trunk depth at 14" up from floor to back of passenger seat: 16"

Trunk depth with tailgate down to back of pass. seat: 40" (incl. tailgate)

Trunk depth with divider/blind installed: 16"

Trunk depth from top of driver's seat to back glass: 17"

Trunk depth from top of passenger's seat to back glass: 13"

Trunk depth with passenger seat folded down flat from dash to tailgate: 56"

Height from folded passenger seat back to glass roof: 29"

Width from right side of driver's seat across folded pass. seat to pass. door: 24.5"

Hope this helps,

Tom

With the passenger seat fully forward but upright I was able to transport all four of the stock tires on their rims, home from the dealer. Not sure where the drivers seat was exept that it must of been near the spot I normaly use as I was comfortable. I am Five foot eight and there is usualy a lot of space behind the seat.Peter

That was helpful. Thank you. It's an inch wider and 6 inches deeper than the floor of my Echo Hatchback's trunk space.

I got my Smart Passion last Saturday and wanted to purchase a spare (front) tire and wheel as I have seen on the forums that was the best thing to do.

Well my dealership wants:

The front wheel and price is $486.01 + mounting and balancing and we will have to order those items.

:axehead:

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonalbe tire and wheel , In Florida?

Thanks. :thanx:

PS What type of jack would you get and wher do you keep it.

Edited by Mikey

That must be for an alloy wheel.The price for a steel wheel is much less than that.Tire Rack now has smart sizes in Continentals in stock. Fronts should be $60-$70 each.pedro

Thanks a bunch for the mesurements, Tom. I saved them to a text file in my smart folder.

Edited by gotwavs

PS What type of jack would you get and wher do you keep it.

We have an electric one that plugs into the car lighter. We just keep it in the back.

Well I have been working on getting the spare tire situation settled. I ordered a steel rim from "Flying Tiger". Eddy seems really helpful and responds quickly. I will purchase an inexpensive tire to mount on the wheel (spare only). I ordered a cover from Mill Ponds to carry it all in so it won't smell up the interior of the car. I think I will order the electric jack that one of the folks recommended.Do not know what lug nut wrench to get so working that out.Someone mentioned a “Block” are you speaking of a wedge of wood or something?My BIG questions remain is how do you change this (even for short drive) with all the monitoring devices on each wheel? Disable them? Will it hurt the car or warranty?I would really appreciate any input from some of you with the experience under your belt.Thank you all and I have been ill so not doing much traveling but it is parked outside my window to enjoy. Thanks

You will need a 15 mm wrench, assuming the 451 lugs are the same as the 450.

I haven't measured either the 451 or 450 boot space; all I know is my neighbour has a 451 and can't get near the same amount of stuff in his as I can in mine. :dunno: The 451 rear end isn't as verticular as the good old 450.

Bil :sun:

Based on the scratches and tears in mine, I'd hazard that someone transported a file cabinet in it once upon a time when it was a demo. I would like to assert that these do not fit in a smart car, even if you can get them into the smart car!However, a standard household aluminum step ladder (well padded with drop cloths) DOES fit into a smart car including 2 toolboxes, rollers and handles, trays and paint cans. :-)

Haha, I have to laugh...Last month, I was wandering through Home Depot, when I stumbled upon a Christmas clearance section... Low-and-behold, there appeared to me a white Christmas tree, 7.5' tall... still in it's 4' (or so) box.The shopper in me couldn't resist the 90% markdown, so I bought the tree and figured I'd deal with the space issue later... two minutes later...To the surprise of all the bystanders in the parking lot who watched me put the tree in my micro-bus, IT FIT GREAT! I had to put the front seat down, but within minutes, I was happily waving good bye to all those shocked faces...hehe... me and my smart, transporting trees!