Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smrtie

Paint Rocker Panels On 451

29 posts in this topic

Somehow black rocker panels just doesn't do it for me.I did not want to spring for Brabus panels so I decided to paint the stock parts. The removal is very easy...see this site...www.fq101.co.uk/451sideskirts.aspIf there is enough light tomorrow I will take pictures for this site.I used a bumper and plastic primer before I gave the panel two coats. We'll see how it looks in the morning.pedroFirst picture: body with rocker removed.Second picture: masked and ready for paintThird picture: Finished rocker

post-50-1202015281_thumb.jpg

post-50-1202015296_thumb.jpg

post-50-1202015306_thumb.jpg

Edited by smrtie

On the first picture above you can clearly see the two trox bolts (black) that secure on the rear panel to the body. Further ahead you can also see the one bolt for the front panel. Looks like anybody wanting to change panels on the 451 will have to remove the rocker panels first.pedroPS The white squares are the clips that hold the rocker panel in place. There are only two fasteners to hold the rocker panel to the fortwo.

Edited by smrtie

Pedro,I like your thinking. Paint what you have and keep it moving. The yellow is a very striking color and it really pops. Can't wait to see your final before and after pix of the rocker panel. Good job so far! Regina

The standard and brabus panels are the same, except for the brabus ones being painted as standard. There's no difference in the shape.

ajprice,Do you know if the surface of the Brabus panels were smooth? The textured surface on the stock pieces requires sanding to get them smooth for paint.pedro

Can anyone verify that the stock are the same as Brabus? If so...well we could all save some money.

crankin,The European forums all indicate the shape of the two are identical. What is unknown is what the surface texture of the Brabus part. The stock part has a textured surface that is hard to paint on.I don't believe anybody here has ordered a 451 Brabus rocker panel yet - and with the secret out that they are the same part I doubt many will.pedro

Can't put my finger on it yet but have seen body side clading painted on a car show that was textured. Granted if you could smooth it out it would be nicer.

I have the brabus sideskirts for the smart 451 and the front spoiler too. i can confirm that the brabus ones, although the same shape have a different "bow" to them. More important they are smooth to give the painted look a glossy finish ... mine have been painted silver to match my silver shell.smartboy/james

Pedro, you have to get pictures of this. I myself am going to get yellow and black (kinda bumble bee-ish) . I tried to photo shop a pciture and I will say it looked REALLY good like that . Kevin

kheran,Here are two pictures of the completed project.As smartboy indicated the stock roacker panels have texture, so the paint does not match 100%. But from five feet away it's hard to tell the difference. For the other side I shall sand down the textured surface before I prime and paint. But that has to be for another day. I'm just happy today's project turned out as good as it did.pedro

post-50-1202091279_thumb.jpg

post-50-1202091299_thumb.jpg

Edited by smrtie

That's a big imporvement in looks. Will you put any 3M protectant on it ahead of the rear wheels?

I intend to put 3M on the front and rear leading edges.Unless I put on front mud flaps....do I hear Canadian Tire calling?pedro

That looks great! Are you considering the front and rear black parts. Can't really call them bumpers, and not really spoilers. Not sure what to call them exactly. But you know what I mean. The black plastic at the front and rear. I don't know if it would enhance the look or not. Might just make it too yellow.I always liked the yellow on black. But it looks great with silver too.

NJV,I know the parts you are talking about. I think I am going to do the front for sure but not the back.If you look at the back of the car, the black band along the bottom of the panel helps make the car look less 'heavy' in the haunches.By painting it all you do is make it look bottom heavy (in my opinion). Perhaps something in silver instead? I'll get the other side and the front done and then revisit the back.I like the 450 design better, where the bottom panel can be customized without too much trouble.pedro

pedro,

I really like the new look. I hear a wee echo of Starsky & Hutch while your paint scheme says "future-forward" at the same time!

Sometimes the simplest solution is also the most elegant. ¡mis felicitaciones, primo!

Bil :sun:

Sometimes the simplest solution is also the most elegant.

I couldn't agree with you more.Thanks for the compliment ;) pedro PS: Let's see Starsky and Hutch try to slide on the fortwo's hood :D

Pedro,Looks great! A tiiiiiny touch of red to match maybe? Really a fine finish for the look.How about a yellow powder coat on the wheels, just the spokes?And the prat-fall mental visual of Starsky and Hutch on the hood is too funny!LY

Edited by LittleYellow

I painted my 450's side skirts too!

Posted Image

Bil :sun:

I painted my grille surround to match the body.post-3889-1214857636_thumb.jpg I painted the side skirts to match the body, had them sanded, filled, painted and clear coated.post-3889-1214857620_thumb.jpgPut new rear rims on the front and had all four powder painted. Put larger Michelin 185/60-15's on for much better ride. post-3889-1214857676_thumb.jpgAnd I trimmed the center out of the rear pan to show the SS of the Doug Thorley exhaust.post-3889-1214857655_thumb.jpg

Russ, that looks great! I'm really liking the all-white "Stormtrooper" look. You should paint the lower front and rear air dams white, too!

I think the white skirts look awesome. Will probably be doing the same on my white Pure when I finally get it. What was the damage ($$$$) for the skirts and the front grill?