Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smarted_up

Power Steering

17 posts in this topic

does anyone own a fortwo that doesn't have power steering? is it difficult to maneuver your car without power steering? i'm old enough to remember cars without this technological breakthrough, but how beneficial is this for this tiny peep of a car? would my arms seriously bulk up if i didn't throw some money down for this option?

I had a first-generation car without power steering. Never had a problem, even when parallel parking. My new car has power steering. Easier to park but not much else. Unless you have a physical disability I wouldn't worry much about it.pedro

On the first generation model, I have no problem with the lack of power steering.Is that still an option on the new models?

Power steering is now standard on all Passions and optional on the Pure.pedro

I just wanted to add that in the US, power steering is an option on all models.

I found the 450 very light with steering, the 451 is much heavier. Both with wide tires, but without is still ok. The reason is also that the 451 steers more direct than the 450.

thanks, everyone. this is a great help. i just had an o-ring replaced on the return line of my power steering and i was curious about getting on without it for the fortwo.

electric??? as in the only thing that will outright kill this car is a nuclear bomb?

egads! guess i missed a smart engineering seminar, too. looks like i need to go for a test drive. :)

i drove a 451 recently with power steering, and compared to my 450, -DID NOT like it AT ALL.i like the real feeling of driving the car associated with the simple steering of the 450, i had to work harder to control the 451, it felt a little messier compared to the 450, despite the wider track and tires, i prefer the steering of the 450. that being said, it definitely handles better and is more stable. trade off. i am waiting to drive a pure 451 without power steering, that should be fun!

-DID NOT like it AT ALL.

Did you not like it at speeds below 50km/h when teh power steering was active? or did you not like it above 50km/h when the power steering deactivates?

It sounds like you should consider some of the factory optional wider wheels and tires for your 450. They are wider than what comes with the 451. I have them and my car will easily out handle the 451.

i drove a 451 recently with power steering, and compared to my 450, -DID NOT like it AT ALL.i like the real feeling of driving the car associated with the simple steering of the 450, i had to work harder to control the 451, it felt a little messier compared to the 450, despite the wider track and tires, i prefer the steering of the 450. that being said, it definitely handles better and is more stable. trade off. i am waiting to drive a pure 451 without power steering, that should be fun!

The 451 power steering is electric, and they have the option of standard steering but is rare. The electric steering will have a self centering ability which makes the steering harder at higher speeds. It can tell straight by looking at the front wheel speed sensors. So in parking lots it will be very easy but at speed harder.

-To be honest, I didn't really like the way it steered at all, low speeds or high speeds. I'm really used to the 450 i know, but I thought the handling was frustrating altogether.

The new smart is worlds ahead of the old one as far as steering goes. The rack ratio is lower. So, fewer turns lock to lock. On the old car, this is required because without PS it's more difficult to turn the wheel in parking lots or at low speeds - but, at highway speeds, the steering is far too light because of that high ratio.On the new one, the EPS cuts out above 50 km/h, so, the steering becomes HEAVY, with a lower ratio, which is absolutely fantastic on backroads! This one feature alone has changed my mind about swearing off the new car completely and actually giving it a chance at being my next car. :) Matt and I took one for a boot on some backroads a while back and I think we both agreed we liked it a lot better in this configuration.-Iain

Agreed, when it kicks out above 50km/h its just feels so much better. can feel the road a lot better than in the 450 (above 50km/h that is, below, i'm still not sure)