Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
a2jack

Dunkin Donuts.

11 posts in this topic

Where can I purchase a "Donut" spare tire for the new 2008 Smart? And what size is it? Thanks all. A2Jack.

I copied this from a post several months ago. Not sure who the author is...Rim - 0002156V005C32L00 expect to pay around $95 for it Tire (Hankook #) 1600018 - Hankook S400 T115 / 70D 50 90 M expect to pay around $75 or so for it The tire is not an MB product - you can probably source it from a local Hankook dealer - it is a temporary spare type with a 50 mph limit but DOT rating. There is also a comparable Bridgestone model but expect to pay more.

Tom P + Speedie: No luck so far. The Hanko0k dealer turned out to be Discount Tire. They called Hankook. crossed the numbers to a common US "Donut" tire size... But no Rim! :P I have searched the web no luck. I am starting to wonder if such a thing really exists. :rolleyes: Still have a conversation going with Mike T but I am losing hope. I will call three point as a last resort, but I would guess the shipping would be out of sight. I also doubt if they would disclose their source. :P:P Thanks. A2Jack.

With the 450's if you are not taller than 5' 9" it is common to just carry a spare front wheel behind the drivers seat. This is not in the back, this is directly behind the seat. In the summer I carry my winter front and the reverse in the winter. I made a cover to make it look nice.You can run a front in the rear as a temp spare

Rich. I assume you are talking a full size wheel and tire here. (steel or alloy rim?) How far up the seat back does the tire come? Do you need to move the seat forward? Will the passenger seat be affected? We expect our Smart next week sometime, and plan to drive it around a bit to break it in. Then the car goes to work, full time. We will need to carry a spare almost from day one. :P Thanks. A2Jack.

Edited by a2jack

As with Rich I am 5' 9" tall and the tire fits behind my preferred seat location with an inch or two to spare. It does not intrude into the passenger's space at all nor into the cargo area. We managed to pack the spare AND all the camping gear required for 2 people for a week, including medium size cooler, normal sleeping bags, pillows etc., into the back of a 450, which has even less space than the 451.A cover for the tire is preferred to protect anything that may rest against it and control the "rubber" odor.

Edited by kwaldron

As with Rich I am 5' 9" tall and the tire fits behind my preferred seat location with an inch or two to spare. It does not intrude into the passenger's space at all nor into the cargo area. We managed to pack the spare AND all the camping gear required for 2 people for a week, including medium size cooler, normal sleeping bags, pillows etc., into the back of a 450, which has even less space than the 451.A cover for the tire is preferred to protect anything that may rest against it and control the "rubber" odor.

Thanks Rich and Kwaldron. Yes, that is the answer if the compact quest fails (and it looks like it will). I too am 5'9 and wife is 5'6 so this should work out fine, and give us another usable wheel. Now the question is alloy or steel? :) A2Jack.

Thanks guys. Now have our new Smart and the spare tire is on board. As posted, the spare fits perfectly behind the drivers seat in the well. Tire and 6 spoke, alloy wheel was in stock at Tire Rack. Tire $68, Wheel $138 (Bush bucks).Best Regards.A2Jack.