Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom P.

451 Dirty Rear End

5 posts in this topic

Whenever the roads are wet, the back end of my 451 gets extremely dirty in short order. This is due to the low pressure (vacuum) that is created with a flat, back end vehicle like the smart. I have seen a thread on this forum where a VG (vortex generator) strip was attached on the back edge of the roof of a 450 with some success. Has anyone tried this on the 451? Are there any other solutions to this problem?Comments?Tom

The aerodynamic solution doesn't apply at road speeds under about 75kph ( 45mph) Bil :sun:

You can buy them online.

http://www.vortekz.com/generators.htm

Vortex generators are also being used in automotive vehicles in a couple of forms. In one form they are used to influence the boundary layer of air flow primarily for drag reduction. In another form they are installed in the engine's air intake hose. Manufacturers claim that the vortex generator creates a swirling motion within the air intake pipe, and within the combustion chamber causing improved burning of the fuel, increasing horsepower and fuel efficiency.

post-5314-1202601127_thumb.jpg

12x3 VG strips from Nish Motor Sports on the trailing edge of 2005 Pulse coupe. I started with AirTabs but felt they looked quite odd on our small car.

Their greatest benefit is increased high speed stability. Marginally less rear-window dirt. I'm planning yet another aero-mod that I hope will help more with that issue.

Bil :sun:

Posted Image

Edited by bilgladstone