Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Speedie

Perfect Laptop For A Smart!

67 posts in this topic

Came across the Asus eee pc - it was so cute I had to get one! It is a full featured laptop stuffed into a really small form factor - sort of like our cars. It is perfect for use in the smart or where you need a highly portable solution.

They come with a version of Linux but can also run XP (DVD that comes with it includes the drivers) and some folks have been even playing with OS X so it pretty much covers the basis on the OS side of things.

I got the 4G Surf Comes with a solid state hard drive (bit limited - only 4 gb but you can also put a SDHC card in it for extra storage), built in sound, WiFi, wired network, external monitor port, 3 usb ports and 512Mb ram. Keyboard is a bit small but usable - even for mitts my size. Screen is okay - wouldn't want to use it for major works but or emails or a quick browse it is fine (the next release is supposed to have a screen about the size of the lid).

Seems pretty well put together - the ram is upgradable (Linux doesn't need much more that 512mb) and out of the box the Linux install has applications compatible with the major MS offerings. Gets about 2 1/2 hours on a charge. All this for around $350. They make a lower end model and a couple higher end (camera and one with a bigger drive).

Comes in a bunch of colours - including a close match for stream green, jack black, white, and bubble gum pink.

If you want to run XP you will have to come up with a copy and then follow some of the trick provided to get rid of the bloat items that your really don't need to save some disk space.

Here is a picture of Gerri using it in the car while we were parked by the ocean.

Posted Image

Life is pretty rough out here on the coast - here is what we were looking out at -

Posted Image

Cheers,

Cameron

Edited by Speedie

Interesting...

How's the speed on it? I've got one of the OQO:

Posted Image

The problem is it just runs too slow, much slower than the 1Ghz CPU speed would let on. I think it's the way they keep varying the speed of the processor in the OQO. I read some people that have installed XP (with 1GB RAM) and said it ran OK. I think it has a 900Mhz processor in the Eee PC.

Do you think it's worth it?

Dang

My wife has it. If what you are doing is word processing, email, skype with video, etc. the speed is just fine. She loves it.If you are looking to play WoW or some other graphics hungry monster game, well then, no, but that is what one would expect.What wasn't mentioned above was the wireless connectivity which makes it great at truck stops, coffee shops, and any other wireless hot spots. Try www.eeeuser.com for unbiased (at least not vendor) information and support.

The EeePC is really good value for the money, but it isn't a powerhouse by any means. It can be somewhat slow loading even the web browser, but it is great for when you are on the go and need something more than a PDA. I bought my mom one and it works fine. The games that are included run OK on it.

Dang - Memory Express has most, if not all, of the available models if you wanted to check them out in store.

I think it would be hard pressed to try to get XP on the 2GB version so watch which model you buy. :)

The eee pc is not a super computer by any means - but it trucks along - under the stock linux especially - xp adds some bloat but you can limit that - check out this product for trimming the install size of XP down - I got it down to about 2 gb and still perfectly usable. Should work for yours as well Dang.

nlite

I fired office 2003 on to the eee pc - of course with out all the bells and whistles - but it has word, excel, powerpoint and outlook with some space to spare. I would be happy running the stock OS but Gerri is not that familiar with anything with out a MS on it.

I have 2gb of memory on the way here - then I can dump the swap file and gain a bit of room. Plus you can use a USB key or the SD slot to add a bunch more space. With XP the extra memory will help with the speed a bit too (Solid State drives are nifty but for this low a price it is not one of the really fast ones so memory swaps take a bit more).

These things have really caught on with us propellor heads so there is quite a bit of "how to" info out there. Plus Asus has been encouraged by the uptake so they are coming out with future models - including one with a larger screen area.

I find my Blackberry sometimes a bit of a issue for attachments - plus not much good for showing presentations etc. The eee pc should be a nice little gap filler for that role - plus it is so damn handy!

I did mention the WiFi - it is only up to 802.11g but perfectly fine for anything other than downloading movies and such. Doesn't have built in bluetooth but hey they have to do a few things to keep the costs down.

I got mine from NCIX.com - they have stock as well.

Cheers,

Cameron

i also have the eeepc. i have the four gig surf model. the one without the webcam. i absolutely love it. although i should have bought the one with the cam as i now think about it more... maybe i'll sell this one. but to speed the little guy up i've dumped in a full gig of ram as it only comes with the 512mb as i'm sure you all know. i've also purchased a 16gig sdhc card to hold all of my multimedia and i'm trying to figure out a way to dual boot from the card and run xp off of it. a heads up for those of you who've found the eeepc a little slow remember the intel celeron m 900mhz processor is underclocked to 650mhz to conserve on battery life which is already surprisingly longlasting for such a small little battery. don't worry about the warrenty sticker on your laptop to upgrade your ram but do remember that the xandros OS that is preloaded on your laptop wont read anymore that 1gig of ram so don't bother buying a 2gig dimm expecting it to work. i think if you upgrade the os to ubuntu you can read up to two, but don't quote me.i picked my extra stuff from canada computers. i bought mushkin ram for like 23bucks and then the patriot 16 sdhc card for 85 which is a steal. anyone with any geek out questions about the eeepc i'd be more than happy to answer them as i'm kindof a geek by nature... also if you know anyone wanting one i'm selling mine to finance the purchase of the next model up. it's only three weeks old. :(ps i'm writing this post with my eeepc... ;)

Edited by superbang

I think this is a fabulous product for our smartie. Compact and cute. So is the $499 the best one for speed and memory size? I don't play games but I would love to have access to the internet, my emails and calendar. Thanks, Regina

I think this is a fabulous product for our smartie. Compact and cute. So is the $499 the best one for speed and memory size? I don't play games but I would love to have access to the internet, my emails and calendar. Thanks, Regina

the 499 model has the 8gig ssd(solid state drive) and if you can find one it's a good buy imo. however if you're having a hard time picking one up as demand has certainly out weighed supply, which i'm sure all of you know what that's like with your smart cars, you may want to consider grabbing the 4gig variety with a camera and just grabbing a higher capacity sd card. in regular retail stores an 8 gig nowadays goes for about 150 bucks but if you would like a great deal go here for a 16gig sdhc card. it's a heck of a deal and i certianly vouch for it as it's the card i've got in my eeepc.

superbang - check this site out for some answers -

Asus eee pc hacks

They have a pretty good tutorial on dual boots off of USB and SD - virtual machines etc. and how to slim XP down. Also a kernal patch for using 2gb under xandros.

And of course the wiki

eee pc wiki

The wiki is good for buying known to work options.

Regina - if you are just using the laptop for what you described the $350 unit will do you fine unless you want a built in camera $399 (also includes a carry case - I just used the one off our portable DVD player). The high end unit $499 is in pretty short supply but does have a larger drive (8gb) and the camera.

What is really neat is all the clever ways people are finding to use them - with the price point being attractive it opens a lot of doors for creative applications. If you really wanted to get into it you could get the eee painted to match your smart :D

Cheers,

Cameron

Edited by Speedie

ps - there is also a couple of people that have replaced the WiFi card with cellular cards (GPRS or EVDO) so they can get WWAN (Wireless Wide Area Network) ability - i.e. if you can get cell reception you can connect to the internet. You can also tether it to a cell just like a regular laptop.Cheers,Cameron

superbang - check this site out for some answers - Asus eee pc hacksThey have a pretty good tutorial on dual boots off of USB and SD - virtual machines etc. and how to slim XP down. Also a kernal patch for using 2gb under xandros.And of course the wikieee pc wikiThe wiki is good for buying known to work options.Cheers,Cameron

hey thanks for the links, i've had them on my bookmark list for a while now and i've read the steps and all... i'm just really chicken to try it... i'm kinda hoping my friend who's more linux adept than i am will baby me through it... ;) i'm actually thinking of selling it and using the money to go buy a nokia n95. i know it's a completely different toy but an awesome one...

I have the model 701 which came with 512 Meg memory. For $44 I upgraded to 2 Gigs memory. I got an 8 gig SD card for $50. I was thinking of installing XP but the base install with browsing, Skype, messenging, and open office does everything I want. Be careful on the lower models, most won't let you upgrade the memory. Be sure there is a door on the back. The lower cost units solder the memory in.I bought a camera case to carry it. I carry a small mouse and a headset for making phone calls w Skype.

I threw the base OS back on to try a bit more - in advanced mode it pretty much works the same as XP. The restore from the DVD was absolutely painless (a lot better than the Unix and Xenix installs of yore). So if you really screw up - you can get back to Kansas (heel clicking optional).

On thing I noticed is it doesn't seem to have a calendar - but with the number of Linux apps out there finding one shouldn't be hard. There is supposed to be a model that ships with XP coming - but for a higher price - and if you have to pay for a retail copy to convert a current one - I would question the reasons. Heck you can even save files in a Micrsoft compatable format to a XP machine and print on an XP print share - so that pretty much covers the bases.

Got my 2gb RAM today - went in like a charm (take the battery and power off) - if you want to use the full 2gb under the Xandros OS you have to download a new kernel and install - apparently can cause a problem or two - so living with the 1gb is fine for me - besides it never gets fully used.

Got the Citrix client installed so I can log into work where ever I have a internet connection - works cool once you get it going. Now when I am on call or travelling I don't have to pack a full sized laptop around (a full sized laptop looks real doofus if you take it some places - the eee pc is pretty discrete - looks like a day book)

I have a pretty strong Unix background so now I am playing with getting a bluetooth GPS working under Linux - as the saying goes "don't try this at home kids!" - got the bluetooth part going - having trouble with the link to the GPS software (I am using a really old BT adaptor - prime candidate for an issue) - after that there is a Linux moving map program that will be going on. gpsdrive map software

Before buying - be sure to check out the Wiki - eee pc wiki- has a comparison of what each model has and limitations. New model is due in April as well. Some models don't have a door - but you can still put larger memory in - but you have to take the case apart - just putting memory in the ones with the door doesn't void the warranty - they put a sticker on it but rescinded the warranty voiding thing.

It is kind of bizzare - they put this model out as a basic computer for people that just want a basic computer (and it does that really well) - but us technogeeks can't leave it alone either (and some of us have access to some other high end gear - but the eee pc is much more fun!).

I am hoping this drives the market a bit - after all selling over 300000 units with out a big marketing campaign or anything kind of should be making other manufacturers go - hmmm - gee there is a market for an inexpensive basic laptop.

Cheers,

Cameron

Edited by Speedie

... It is kind of bizzare - they put this model out as a basic computer for people that just want a basic computer (and it does that really well) - but us technogeeks can't leave it alone either...

Just like the smart! Supposed to be a simple, basic urban and commuter platform but we can't keep our fingers out ;)[says the guy who just returned home with new Bilstein Sports kit]And yeah - I had to order one of these wee^eeePC gadgets too.B :sun:

I have the Archos 704 WIFI. Take the Eee PC, remove the keyboard, add a 7 " touchscreen and a 80 (or 160) Gb HDD. The Archos is more of a media player (.mov .avi .mp3 .mp4...)than a PC. It can record video and audio from any source (with the optional docking station)and it has a special program that records TV channels at specific times. Video playback is awesome, with great colour and sound reproduction and LCD brightness controls. The unit has built in speakers that are much better than the Eee PC, though not very loud. The battery is easily swappable and lasts 4-5 hours of video playback. The battery costs 30-40 bucks. Archos uses standard windows software to load files and standard USB connectors. No proprietary garbage plugs like the Apple iPod etc. and no bloatware like iTunes (sorry but I Hate Apple iPods). Web browsing can be slightly awkward with the touch screen keyboard, and its speed is sometimes slow but not much slower than the Eee that I can see. Also the web browser is not java compatible so google video and the like are out. But the newer Archos 705 has Java and adds some games. I love the Archos overall, its an amazing and versatile player. Oh yah like our cars the Archos is designed in France. B)

http://www.archos.com/store_us/product.htm...d_id=0000000457

What are all you people doing with these, though?Like, writing literature while you're driving or what? :) I just can't see the use of it.-Iain

Iain. I use mine while I'm on the Metro to get busy work (billing spreadsheets, contracts, etc) done. It's much easier to conceal and much easier/cheaper to replace than my HP lappy (so I have less worry of it getting ripped off).I also like the fact that if I'm wearing baggy cargo pants, I can stick in in a side pocket.

Edited by mkt

What are all you people doing with these, though?Like, writing literature while you're driving or what? :) I just can't see the use of it.-Iain

I will use mine first of all as an always-on network adapter / admin-host for a wireless hot-spot I am setting up at an RV park. Otherwise, I would probably use it as a fast, simple, and durable wireless Internet and email "appliance" while traveling. B :sun:

Sony has always done such a nice job with the hardware. Sex-ay!!-Iain

Yeah, it's so awesome. But $2,500 of awesome. He sucks. I need a raise!

Yep and with the Sony Sexy comes a hefty price tag - sort of like overly glossy women :D I have to take the float plane back and forth to Vancouver - you are taking your chances with laptops if you have them put in the cargo hold in the back (opps - splash) - plus I can grab and go rather than waiting for the unload. The eee pc is the perfect gap filler between a Blackberry and a PC/laptop - small enough to carry easily - but able to do things like connect to the Corporate Citrix farm or actually work on attachments and documents for quick edits. Add EVDO capability with a tethered or bluetooth connection and you can actually do real work in remote spots (some of us are on call in the IT trade - means we don't have to hang around areas with some form of terrestrial connection).Also in case you hadn't noticed (then again you don't have a wife) - space in the smart while travelling is tight - so if you can save the space with a small but functional laptop all the better. The eee pc fits comfortably in one hand - sort of the same size and weight as a day book - but more blinky lights. Great for digital cameras as well - plus Slingplayer works well on it so you can enjoy cable TV from your anywhere you have a connection (airports and such).The only use I intend for it while in motion is to use as a GPS/mapping system - more for personal interests and fishing - I usually know where I am and where I am going (but I have been mistaken about how to get to a destination - never lost though!). It is damn handy in the car if you want to go someplace nice while developing a document too - or to the local cafe to work with out taking up an entire table or developing one shoulder an inch lower than the other.Cheers,Cameron

... - plus Slingplayer works well on it so you can enjoy cable TV from your anywhere you have a connection (airports and such).

Does SlingPlayer work under the oem Linux (or whatever it is...) O/S?B :sun: Edited by bilgladstone

My boss has the Sony Vaio UX micro-pc which I am sorely tempted to steal.

They had refurbed ones a few months back on woot.com for about a grand, and had to resist every urge possible to whip out the Amex and find my XP install disc. Edited by mkt

Hi Bil,No Linux for Slingplayer yet - just MS and Mac and some selected pocket PC's - but I am sure there is a propellor head out there somewhere that has a command line version in the works for Linux :D (checked you have to run wine - google linux and slingbox).Boy just a grand for a Sony? Gee I could get a couple of eee pc's and some nice accessories....Cheers,Cameron