Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rrrucke

Dog Carrier In Boot Area

24 posts in this topic

Hi Gang,

Someone asked me via PM if I had any ideas about carrying a dog in the boot area since the retractible luggage cover isn't really for holding items. This person has a bull dog or some type of terrier. Well anyway, I do have an idea if that person is still interested. The carrier is a smart product which is pretty versatile too.

Although I don't know dog weights, I'll just say that the smart carrier is large enough for a begal, pug, shelty, french bulldog, west highlander, etc. Check out the Multifunctional Box as sold in the UK which is were I got mine from. The MB dealer is called Bald. It's no more than a stylish (yet heavy duty) grey styrofoam cooler with a lid. From the pix it looks like plastic but it's not. It fits perfectly in the rear boot behind one of the seats. You could put bedding in it to manipulate the height of your pooch or you can put their bed on top of the lid which is indented about 3 inches. Very solid and it's made to hold hot or cold food. Hope this helps the dog lover because if I had one, I would definitely carry my doggie in one of these. Oh yeah, it's about 14-16" high. Enjoy, Regina

smart Dog Carrier

Edited by rrrucke

The link doesn't workWe carry my daughter's Old English bulldog in our 450 back. Olive is 65 pounds.We just put a bathroom floor rug in there. It is easy to wash and keeps her from slipping around.At first she was a bit scared when we closed the tailgate but once she realized she had access to us in the front and so much window to look out, she loved it.

Sorry the link doesn't work. Please go to www.smart.com. Go to the UK site and select Advice & Sales. From there, go to Brochures and then select the "Download the smart accessories brochure". See item #16 Multifunctional Box on page 9 of the brochure. Thanks, Regina

Edited by rrrucke

I would not recommend using the multifunction box for a dog. It might fit fine, but there's insufficient ventilation. It looks from pics like you could suffocate your pet in there! The average carrier would likely fit just fine behind the seat, and even a fairly large one might fit with one seat set forward. Most dogs would happily sit back there without a carrier and the cargo net would be more than enough to keep them from flying around like the last peanut in the can if you drive rough. My little lap dog just hangs out back there without any grief at all, but she's been riding in bike baskets and cars and trucks all her life. If you don't have a human passenger you can always get a seatbelt halter for your dog that straps around it's ribs and hooks over the shoulder and lap belt on the seatbelt when said seatbelt is clicked in across the seat. These are sold in most pet shops and a guarantee of not having the dog thrown through the windshield. Whether or not the airbags would decapitate your fido is another story alltogether. If your dog is particularily boisterous you could leash him to a rod in the rear luggage cover slots while using the cargo net (or one you bought from the hardware store lashed onto dowelling set into the front cover slots) to help keep poochy in the back. You can even get a cargo net that reaches all the way to the ceiling. Mind you, if your dog is that rambunctious you may want to spend some time in training classes to get some control. A dog who can't be compelled to sit or lay politely in a car probably needs training. :axehead:

When we take our very well trained dog, Raleigh, or ("mooch") to the vet, he sits quietly for the drive.He's around 100lbs, and a very good boy.

post-3704-1203784216_thumb.jpg

Yolanda, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. The box is a good alternative but yes, if you put the lid on...you kill the animal. LOL Regina

Let's not get into the whole Schrodinger's cat experiment!

Check out the folding MB boxes - they are ventilated - you would have to come up with a lid though. Would fit a smaller dog or zip tie two together for a taller dog.

MB folding boxes

Fit the old smart perfectly so they will be a cinch in the new ones.

They also make folding pet carriers in a similar fashion - seen pictures of them but can remember where.

Cheers,

Cameron

Hi - I found something that works really well. I have a "My Buddy Lookout Car Seat" for my two toy poodles. It fits really well into the boot area. I use a tie down strap with clips to hold it to the back and for the harnessess to clip onto. Now they can watch out the back window while we drive. (except for my neurotic little guy that just stares at me lovingly at all times).post-5487-1204862359_thumb.jpg

Smart-az, can you show a better pix of the product? Others may be just as interested as I am. BTW, the pups are cute too! Regina

Sorry it took so long:

post-5487-1206139477_thumb.jpg

It works well. I use harnesses with the dogs so it feels safer. The car seats come in single sizes as well, but I'm not sure if they would be as secure in the back.

Here's a link to the car seat for more info: http://www.snoozer-dog-beds.com/dogcarseats.htm - the prices vary hugely on the web. I think we got ours for under $100.

Edited by smart-az

Ok, THIS post-74-1206141634_thumb.jpgpicture kills me for some reason. What is she saying to the dog?"Don't worry, Muffin - we'll beat Kitty and Bill over 18 holes. Kitty's short game is terrible."Speaking of Kitty - I wish there was a decent sized cheap-ish carrier for two cats that was portable and fit into the back. My cats travel well as long as they are together, but a portable carrier for two? non-existant AFAIK. I've been cramming them into a large one cat carrier, which they don't seem to mind, but I wouldn't do it for anything longer than the 15 minute ride to the vet and back.

It's probably more like "Muffin, that last martini went straight to my head ... it's time you took the wheel".Isn't there a phrase about herding cats? Is that why it's so hard to find a car carrier? There are so many different sized carriers for dogs - why isn't that the case for cats - is that a potential market to tap into?

why isn't that the case for cats - is that a potential market to tap into?

I don't know... Indoor-only cats that grow up together enjoy each other's company 99% of the time; however, if you throw the great outdoors into their development, or add one cat into the home after another is already settled in, you can have some trouble. They can become territorial quickly. They stay kitten-ish if they are kept indoors.My cats will go into the travel bag without any fuss (even though it's squishy).

Sturdi Products makes the best cat carriers. They are collapsable and comfortable for the cat. They cost a lot but are worth it. Get them at a cat show....or look online.

What's the difference between cat carriers and dog kennels? The latter come in a great variety of sizes to accommodate from the tiniest to the largest dogs. There must be one of them that would be an appropriate size for your two cats. Our new 13 pound Eskipoo travels in a kennel placed sideways in the "boot". I put some cushioning material underneath the kennel to raise it so that he can look out the back window if he wants to. Towels, strategically placed, ensure that the seat backs and the hatch door are not marred by the kennel vibrating against them. It's not a good idea to have unrestrained animals in any moving vehicle. In case of an accident, they could be thrown violently, injuring both them and possibly other occupants.

Edited by smart65

It's the multiple-animal carriers that are hard to find. An 8 lb and 10lb animal together don't fit well into carriers designed for a single 20lb animal.Right now it's a 12"Wx18"L carrier that I squish them into. I know, I know - you are calling the SPCA on my ass right now.An ideal one (for two cats) would be 16"W x 25"L. The problem seems to be that they are all designed either to meet airline standards, or to fit in the back of a SUV. Even that Sturdi company's stuff unfortunately.

Just get two Sturdis, one for each cat. Load them double-decker like in the cargo area, or have your human passenger carry one on her lap.Having both cats in one carrier is a bad idea, because one cat may not travel well and the other may, in which case both of them would be swimming in the one cat's barf for the entire journey!

lol@ValgardMike, yeah, we tried something like that - not popular with our cats. They both began complaining, something not heard when they are together. When we get to the vet and open the carrier, they don't want to come out, and they rush back into the carrier with the other cat the second the vet is done.I need something big enough for both. I know our cats are not the norm.