Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
andyl

451- Cannot Open Tailgate

21 posts in this topic

Today I could not open the tailgate on my cabrio. Well almost unable, one time in perhaps 30 pushes on the latch it would open!Andy.

Hold down the button until it is released.A momentary press is ignored by the controller.-Iain

I also have a 451 and duck is right - hold down - one quick press opens the drivers door only, two presses opens the passenger door and i have found that a click click click in quick succession opens the trunk.

The key fob button opposite the open button is the one that Duck is talking about. At the 3 o'clock position with the key facing away from you. This is the one you must hold for a few seconds to open the tailgate.

I'm talking about any button on the remote. A very, very brief press is too fast for the processor. You have to give it at least ~0.2-0.3 s or so for the signal to successfully send.-Iain

that is a known issue with the button under the rubber in the trunk itself if that is what we are talking about. Its a simple replacement at any dealer.

I think andyl is talking about the latch/button on the tailgate, not the fob.

Oh...ok. Sorry for the confusing posts on my part. The latch on the tailgate is electronic and can be opened with your hand if you have all the locks on the car unlocked. In other words, press the open button on the key fob twice, then the latch at the back will work.

I also took a while before I understood how to get the tailgate to open. If you are sitting in the car and someone wants to open the tailgate you can also press twice on the door unlock switch in the dash, then the tailgate handle can unlock the tailgate. Steve

Hello allI think mine is defective. I do know about the two pushes on the key fob button. What is happening is that the actual electroinc latch on the tailgate is not wokring more than 1 time in 20. So yes, the car is otherwise unlocked, but the handle to unlock just is not working. Worked twice for me in a row today to put some shopping in the back, but when I got home just could not open it to get the things out. They ended up coming out from the inside!CheersAndy.

I was told that the handle on the tailgate is not for opening the tailgate but to release the upper hatch window lock.

I recently downloaded and was reading the quickmanual that Regina posted. There is a description in it of unlocking the upper and lower tailgates.Start by unlocking the upper tailgate. To do this press the unlock button twice. Then there is a choice. Either press and hold the tailgate/cabrio-roof button for two seconds, or pull the release handle in the tailgate. Now swing open the upper tailgate.Now that the upper tailgate is open, pull back the two release levers located one on each side of the upper edge of the lower tailgate. The lower tailgate can now be swung down.(I think the tailgate/cabrio-roof button is the 3 o'clock position button that Tom P. mentioned a few posts above.)Oh.... sorry. As I re-read the thread, it looks like I have missed the point. I can't delete the post so I'll edit it to add this apology.

Edited by Ohiosmart

I was told that the handle on the tailgate is not for opening the tailgate but to release the upper hatch window lock.

Technically, you are correct. You have to open the glass upper portion before you can lower the tailgate.

I'm having the same problem with my Cabrio. The responses to this thread re: the key and upper tail gate are nice but don't apply to the Cabrio since we don't have the upper tailgate glass and our key fob has different buttons. I too am pressing the unlock twice and the car is completely unlocked and then pushing the button on the handle of the tailgate and about 1 in 30 times the tailgate actually opens. Even when it does open, I can usually close it and immediately try to open again and it doesn't work. I've had it in to the dealer once and they claimed they couldn't replicate the problem. I called again this week and I'm concluding from their comments that the real issue is that they don't have the parts to fix the problem. They're supposed to call as soon as the parts are in (and no, I don't know what parts they're talking about but I'll find out when they do the repair.)

I'm having the same problem with my Cabrio. The responses to this thread re: the key and upper tail gate are nice but don't apply to the Cabrio since we don't have the upper tailgate glass and our key fob has different buttons. I too am pressing the unlock twice and the car is completely unlocked and then pushing the button on the handle of the tailgate and about 1 in 30 times the tailgate actually opens. Even when it does open, I can usually close it and immediately try to open again and it doesn't work. I've had it in to the dealer once and they claimed they couldn't replicate the problem. I called again this week and I'm concluding from their comments that the real issue is that they don't have the parts to fix the problem. They're supposed to call as soon as the parts are in (and no, I don't know what parts they're talking about but I'll find out when they do the repair.)

I am sure by now you all have had your tailgates fixed. But just in case, I have seen this problem and it has been a bad switch. The switch sticks and works only once every several times. The fix: take the car in and have the switch replaced.- A

I am sure by now you all have had your tailgates fixed. But just in case, I have seen this problem and it has been a bad switch. The switch sticks and works only once every several times. The fix: take the car in and have the switch replaced.- A

Mine still isn't fixed. Dealer has switch on order and will fix as soon as it comes in.

My dealer called yesterday and the part (new tailgate switch) is in. I'm in Chicago with the car so I'll take it in to be fixed on Friday.

Well I started this topic, and now I have had the dealer replace my latch release switch. It was the switch that was most certainly defective. From even the few people that have reported this here, there must have been a bad batch of switches. The service manual does show a way to open the tailgate if the electrics completely fail. It involves drilling from the inside a hole in the upper outside corners of the tailgate just large enough to insert a screwdriver of something similar to manually pull back the mechanical latches that the electric solenoid usually open.So, since it is the manual they are prepared for the worst. They did not have to drill the hols in mine, as it was an intermittent.Andy.

Well I started this topic, and now I have had the dealer replace my latch release switch. It was the switch that was most certainly defective. From even the few people that have reported this here, there must have been a bad batch of switches. The service manual does show a way to open the tailgate if the electrics completely fail. It involves drilling from the inside a hole in the upper outside corners of the tailgate just large enough to insert a screwdriver of something similar to manually pull back the mechanical latches that the electric solenoid usually open.So, since it is the manual they are prepared for the worst. They did not have to drill the hols in mine, as it was an intermittent.Andy.

Same here, new switch and all is good. My dealer explained that the problem is that when the switch is pressed it doesn't spring back to the off position. So, the switch is pressed all the time. It sounded like the switch could actually be repaired (as opposed to replaced) by bending a small metal plate/bracket so that the switch releases.

On 2008-02-21 at 11:28 PM, smartboy said:

I also have a 451 and duck is right - hold down - one quick press opens the drivers door only, two presses opens the passenger door and i have found that a click click click in quick succession opens the trunk.

I have a 2013 electric drive cabriolet. The mechanism has been changed twice and the car has been "serviced" seven times for repair of the tailgate. The latest was July 13, 2020. My wife took it in and when they finished the repair, told the service writer that it catches although it opened. He was annoyed at the comment and said that they did the job for free. Well, it lasted 12 days. I put in a call yesterday and am still awaiting a call back. In the mean time, I searched this forum and tried this multiple quick press. Lo and behold, it opened (touch wood). It still isn't a clean opening, it catches and drags a bit but it opens.