Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Piperkid

Oil Filters For The 451

13 posts in this topic

Any one have a source for the spin on oil filters for the 451?

Another site listed a NAPA filter as an alternate.

NAPA

Any one have any experience with the alternate?

If NAPA has one then WIX should as they make them. It may take awhile but eventually there should be a large selection available. I have a spin-on adapter and use K&N filters which are quite highly rated. Just don't use FRAM.

Fram are total rubbish. My most respected mechanic friend warned me off them 25 years ago.

What is specifically wrong with Fram?

Worst case: end seals on the media tend to leak so unfiltered oil can pass.B :sun:

Bought a Mobil 1 filter #M1-110 last night at AutoZone for $9.99. The M1-108 is the conversion filter for the same price, but the M1-110 is a little taller and therefore more filtration. These are made by a premimum filter company (the name escapes me right now) and one of the best. AZ stocks both in my town.

I installed the M1-110 last night. One of the easiest cars I have ever done a filter change to. Slip jaw, water pump style pliers and the old one was off. Pre filled the new filter and reinstalled in no time. One thing I should mention about this filter is that it is much taller than the old one. It is about level with the bottom of the car, but between the tire area so no bump strip, driveway, hump or normal obsticle could bother it. However a tire alligator from a big truck, a huge stone if you choose to off-road or theoritical thing could hit it. I'm not worried one bit, I would rather have the added filtration, but wanted all of you that read this to know before doing your thing.P.S. the filter in many other cars I have owned stidk further down.

Recently Purolator USA Product Engineering completed an examination (benchmarking) the 451 OEM Mitsu filter #1230A040 (smart #A 132 180 00 10). As a result they now list the mid-grade Purolator PremiumPLUS #L14612 as a direct replacement for the Mitsu #1230A040. Additionally, they now specifically list their best full synthetic fleece PureONE #PL14612 for the smart 1L/I-3, per M-B 229.5.At the same time, Mobil was examining the same OEM Mitsu filter (filtration capacity and rate, and bypass valve spring rate, etc.), and at last conversation with their technicial people I was told that they determined the Mobil 1 M1-108 equal of better than the OEM in all parameters. The only holdup at the time in listing it as an OEM replacement was that they had not had the opportunity to examine the filter mounted on an actual smart. The tech told me the M1-108 was good-to-go if I was satisfied that it had sufficient ground clearance.

Pretty funny that an aftermarket filter meets the MB 229.5 spec while the OEM doesn't...

Considering the perfunctory and vague guidance provided to North America by M-B/smart, it isn’t really surprising. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that M-B is doing their best to keep Mitsubishi out of the picture. Instead of providing Mitsu’s recommendations on engine maintenance, service fluids, filters, et al, they just robotically pulled their own documentation off the shelf, whether it is appropriate or not.M-B Sheet 229.5 (which includes the synthetic fleece filter) is the official recommendation in the U.S., and with a specific smartUSA push for Mobil 1 0W-40*** (for everywhere from the US/CA border to the US/MEX border!). The 56 engine oils noted on it are Euro brands and ACEA spec, not API (with the exception of 0W-40 Mobil 1). But Roger Penske, the exclusive U.S. smart distributor, gave my dealership authority to use Castrol Syntec 5W-30, indicating to me that 229.5 is not as sacrosanct as M-B/smart let on.*** Note that McLaren/M-B F-1 and Penske Racing take a LOT of sponsorship money from Mobil 1. Edited by stonehorse148