Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vroom vroom

Niagara Cruise News

116 posts in this topic

Hey Gang!My apologies for not posting anything until now regarding our annual Niagara Cruise. Smartboy and I have some interesting news...The Niagara Smartcar Cruise is re-inventing itself! This will be the 4th year for this annual fun event and we decided to go back to how we started...have a cruise in late summer early fall for 2008. This event just keeps growing and growing. And with it comes more time needed to prepare for such and event. Smartboy and I have done a lot of soul searching to decide whether or not to even have a cruise this year and either postpone it for next year, or just to delay it for a few months. We have so much happening in our individual lives that warrant more attention and time than anything else at the moment. The cruise needs time and attention too, and it just wouldn’t be fair to rush it and cram as much work into it in whatever time is left from now until when we launch for the originally proposed dates of June 14th and 15th. So please bear with us, we will be re-grouping very soon to talk about finalizing a date for the cruise later on this season and we will be working out an agenda for the 2 day event. Our apologies to those who have had their calendars already marked for June 14th and 15th. Stay tuned for further details coming soon!Vroom Vroom

Hi, we were really looking forward to having it in June. As it turns out, our late August - early September is already filled up pretty much, including a trip away from the province. Later in September or early October would be better for us. However, we'll look forward to hearing more from you about the details and hope to be able to participate.Thanks,Alberta

hi cleo and james...for what its worth, i would be able and willing to help out this year planning the event with you, if i can shoulder some of the responsibility and take the pressure off a little, i'm more than willing to help, so please just call or pm me if you want the extra set of hands. steve.

Niagara or Quebec city?

The Club smart du Quebec was present last year and it was A LOT of fun. Remember the 20 or so members of our gang who were there with the very special flag for our club? We would like to return for the next meeting, yes indeed. But there is also something special this year in Quebec city, also with smart cars involved.

Soon, our Club will announce a VERY BIG EVENT during the next summer for smart car fans in Quebec City because this year will be the 400th anniversary of Quebec City. Many bigs events will happen during the summer including a free Celine Dion concert to be held August 22 on the old Plaines d'Abraham battle field.

Now, here is the idea: (the rumor is...) that a smart cars rally will be held in the streets of Quebec City and that the organisers would like to see 400 smart cars for that event alone... More on this later.

So, here is the question for you: could our very well organized friends from Ontario join us in Quebec City for such an event? It is your turn to come to Quebec! Last year, we even propose that a similar meeting could take place in Montreal for the F1 weekend and a lot of your members were interested in such an idea.

So why not Quebec city? Please stay tuned.

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave:

....including a free Celine Dion concert to be held August 22

Ack! I can't stand Céline!But the 400th anniversary of the founding of Québec is a very important milestone for our country and all of North America, and I sure wish we could be there to join in the celebration. It's such a beautiful place and the people are great!We hope to drive across Canada again in a few years (last time: 2004), maybe in 2010?? But in the B 200, not the smart....

For the Niagara event, if you are looking at 2 days, I have a 3 hour rally just about mapped out in the Burlington-Hamilton area. If you'd like to me to finish up the documentation let me know. I had planned on running a much smaller group in February/March but was and am still laid up with pneumonia so that has been delayed.Let me know if this would be usefull.

Edited by kwaldron

bonjour ...it was great meeting the friendly quebecers at ikea last time around...i'd be happy to come to quebec and do the return trip, to your neck of the woods, and i'm sure others would make the trek also. keep the details coming !! i look forward to it. steve.

TITLE: 2008 smart car FALL CRUISE

Without further delay, Jim and I have FINALLY come up with a date for the NEW Niagara smart car wine tour and cruise event. This year's cruise will take place on the long weekend of OCTOBER 12th and 13th, 2008. What better way to spend a long weekend than with a bunch of smart cars and their owners cruising through the Niagara Region in the crisp fall air amidst the turning leaves!

Jim and I will work out a more acute detailed agenda for the 2 days but for the time being in brief:

Sunday October 12th. Winery tour, limited number for the afternoon event, first come first served. Early registration and a casual get together for an dinner and possible evening event depending on numbers. Place still to be announced.

Monday October 13th. Morning breakfast/brunch at MARK's No Frills in Niagara, registration and meet and greet plus show and shine and displays. A cruise circling the Niagara area and ending with a bag your own picnic lunch back at the No Frill's parking lot and handing out great prizes and full day auction terminations and fund raiser for the smile charity (Mark's No Frills store).

Stay tuned everyone! More details to come! We will prepare a sign-up list very soon as well as handouts for everyone to print out and hand to ANY smart car owners they meet or cars they see.

Jim and Cleo (smartboy and Vroom Vroom)

I will see what I can do to be part of this. Late summer is good, however, depends on the days. Planning a trip to Boston in August.Garry

Sonds good to me.We can drive down from Montreal on the Saturday, play with you guys Sun/Mon and then drift back Tuesday.Look forward to it2seat

Hi,Spadogs will not be able to attend on these dates due to family Thanksgiving plans. Should your dates change, please let me know.- Andy

These dates should be interesting - seeing as many people spend this time away from home and with their family. I will have to even pass it by my parents and family to see if I will be able to attend. In the mean time. I'm glad that the cruise is still happening. Lets not forget that setting a date can be a very stressful task and Jim and Cleo have taken the time and are trying to meet their needs, and our needs too. I'm confident that we will have a great turn out. And size really doesn't matter... it's the people that show that you make the most out of it with. Does that makes sense....?If you two need any help - I'm here :DWe just won't leave the highlighting of the maps to the last night this year.....

We'll do our best!Let's hope the choice of date doesn't make it too difficult for any of our US friends to attend.Cleo - as you know, we would be glad to help with some part of the event. Is there a volunteer meeting planned?

Edited by passionateaboutRUBY

I'm really disappointed that you chose that weekend. The fact that it's Thanksgiving counts us out too. Maybe we'll make a token appearance on Monday, but any family arrangement will trump the smart arrangement. We'll probably make the Quebec trip though.

RE: FEEDBACKHey Guys,We anticipated that there would be a number of you unhappy with the date selected. But getting back to my initial post..We searched high and low for a reasonable date and unfortunately with my personal circumstances (one which is too personal to even share openly in this platform) and a series of individual events that have happened in both my life and smartboys, we just could NOT plan to have the cruise at the usual time which would have been the first week of June. Way too many things to look after with so little time.I personally appreciate all of your feedback, negative & positive. It just makes me want to try harder to make sure our cruise will be filled with fun, friends and lots of give aways!Stay tuned for updates in the next couple of weeks. We've wrangled up some really good prizes and we're ironing out the agenda.Cleo